Discussion for Anchoring the putter - teleconference

#2 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Sounds fair and those who are anchoring have four years to adapt.

#3 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Actually just over 3 years AB.... But a good change nonetheless. The sooner we get cheats out of this game the better ;-)

#4 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

3 years is a long time to make an equipment change to one club, even one as vital as the putter

#5 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Pretty sure players like Adam Scott will still be able to play the long putter as, from memory, he doesn't anchor it. A unanchored belly putter may be harder but I'm sure players use it this way. And my bad on the time frame but for pros whose income/life depend on it I'm sure they'd have the time to adapt.

#6 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

ab, it looks to me like he anchors it on his chest - or more accurately in his fist which is in turn anchored on his chest - which is one of the uses outlawed

#7 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5038 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Pretty sure players like Adam Scott will still be able to play the long putter as, from memory, he doesn’t anchor it. A unanchored belly putter may be harder but I’m sure players use it this way.
And my bad on the time frame but for pros whose income/life depend on it I’m sure they’d have the time to adapt.

’The past is history, the future one may never see and today is a gift which is why it’s called, the present’
KungFu Panda
VTTP #534

The “unofficial” millionth POST poster

AB, he anchors his hand to his collar bone , chest. He is anchoring the putter

#8 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

My bad :/

#9 Mekat

Mekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3331 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

I have always thought the long putters have been problematic, as anchoring directly to the body or chin gives a third point of connection to the club; or if held in two hands and one hand (fist) is against the body, then that fist is supported by more than the wrist. A club should be held only by the hands which are connected only to their corresponding wrists. There would be no connection of either hand to another part of the body in making a shot, unless the golfer has a physical situation that makes it impossible.

#10 Pirelli

Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

A club should be held only by the hands which are connected only to their corresponding wrists.

I agree. What I don't understand is why in a rule that bans anchoring they have specifically allowed anchoring?! You can anchor it to your forearm like Kuchar under the new rule. Doesn't make sense to me.

#11 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13198 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

The new rule prevents anchoring anything below the elbows to any part of the body.

#12 Mekat

Mekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3331 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

A club should be held only by the hands which are connected only to their corresponding wrists.

I agree. What I don’t understand is why in a rule that bans anchoring they have specifically allowed anchoring?!

You can anchor it to your forearm like Kuchar under the new rule. Doesn’t make sense to me.

I imagine Kuchar's grip could be seen as a single 'continuous' connection. Two hands are gripping the club, but for one of those hands the connection is in a continuous line hand wrist, forearm, on a single limb. rather than a fist held against the abdomen - this connection is not a naturally continuous connection, as there is a gap between the fist and the abdomen that is not connected to the club.... if I am making sense

#13 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

Actually just over 3 years AB…. But a good change nonetheless. The sooner we get cheats out of this game the better ;-)

Queensland – 7 Consecutive Origin Series

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Sadly though 3 years is enough for a solid career using a method which is against the rules and spirit of the game!

#14 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13198 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

It is not against the rule, yet. Hence it is neither cheating nor against the 'spirit of the game', yet.

#15 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Actually just over 3 years AB…. But a good change nonetheless. The sooner we get cheats out of this game the better ;-)

Queensland – 7 Consecutive Origin Series

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Sadly though 3 years is enough for a solid career using a method which is against the rules and spirit of the game!

It's bad etiquette and against the spirit of this wonderful game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users