#2 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14904 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Still cant see the problem if the option is open to every one. Ban drivers designed to hit more than 250 mts as not everyone can hit it straight over that distance. Ban golf balls that eliminate side spin , make everyone learn how to hit straight. BanBanBan.

#3 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4900 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

Still can't see the problem if the option is open to every one.
It's changing the look of the game too much IMO, just like if beta-blockers (which are available to everyone) were allowed. I'm glad to see the change.

#4 Goldy

Goldy

Bluto Snr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23237 posts
  • LocationAnimal House

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Still can’t see the problem if the option is open to every one.

It’s changing the look of the game too much IMO, just like if beta-blockers (which are available to everyone) were allowed.

I’m glad to see the change.

But isn't banning it in fact the bit that will "change the look of the game"? In other words - how long has it been since there was NO long or belly putters at all.

#5 DelMar

DelMar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

I am biased and a traditionalist and I applaud the proposed move. Ban them. IMO they are training wheels for poor putters and I see it as cheating. If you need to use something that long and be attached to it to perform a skill that is the foundation of our game then you might be better off going marlin fishing.

#6 Dulberf

Dulberf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

Nothing provokes debate more than the long putter. Whatever their decision people will be going nuts over it. If they don't ban them people will be outraged, if they do ban them then I would expect a class action launched by professionals that use long putters.

#7 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4900 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

But isn’t banning it in fact the bit that will “change the look of the game”?
Maybe 'restore' the look of the game was more appropriate. Unfortunately the ruling bodies get their butts sued every time a change affects someone's revenue, so they hold off until it gets ridiculous. Back in the days of Moody or later Langer and Senior, there just weren't too many around to change the overall look of golf like it is now. Pivoting a club is just not golf, just as scooping a ball, hitting it billiard style or croquet style isn't.

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12149 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

I'm a traditionalist, too. The design of clubs has always been limited, but how the player uses them is entirely up to him, provided he hits the ball with the head of the club. What's next? Limiting the backswing so that courses need not be lengthened?

#9 peak_sy

peak_sy

Supa Gorilla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

I’m a traditionalist, too.
The design of clubs has always been limited, but how the player uses them is entirely up to him, provided he hits the ball with the head of the club.

What’s next? Limiting the backswing so that courses need not be lengthened?

Croquet putting they hit the ball with the head of the club!

#10 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

Nothing provokes debate more than the long putter.

Whatever their decision people will be going nuts over it. If they don’t ban them people will be outraged, if they do ban them then I would expect a class action launched by professionals that use long putters.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5* Stiff Ahina
Cleveland Launcher 1 & 3 Stiff Hybrid
4-PW Mizuno MP53 Stiff KBS Tour
Vokey 50.11
Vokey 54.12
Vokey 58.09
Scotty Cameron Kombi S 33

You've been peddling that line for a while now. Keegan bradley and webb simpson are now on the record that they won't contest (probably because they won't win).... Plenty of sports change rules all the time - F1 change every year, no lawsuits there... And there won't be any here... While I think anchoring is an advantage, and I hate the look of them, I do feel a bit for those who've been using them for a while now...

#11 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12149 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

I’m a traditionalist, too.
The design of clubs has always been limited, but how the player uses them is entirely up to him, provided he hits the ball with the head of the club.

What’s next? Limiting the backswing so that courses need not be lengthened?

Croquet putting they hit the ball with the head of the club!

I thought of that as I wrote. Knew somebody would bring it up.

#12 Ma'dam

Ma'dam

Winter is getting to me

• Administrators
  • 6640 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

R/A and USGA have press conference Wed 28th US time to make an announcement- most likely on outcome of this topic! Well know by morning what the deal is!

#13 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

The matter is settled and explained on live TV. Anchoring will be prohibited from 1.1.2016, and all the details and wording of the new Rule can be found on the front page on randa.org including and it includes an explanatory FAQ sheet.

#14 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

http://www.usga.org/...s-to-Rule-14-1/

#15 Libba

Libba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I think they've taken a sensible approach in not making different rules for pros and amateurs. But I wonder how many long time users of the long putter will be retiring on 31/12/15. Peter Senior perhaps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users