73 replies to this topic

#1 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3686 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

I've just read that Rory McIlroy birdied 53% of all the par 5's he played on the PGA Tour in 2012. Given the use & misuse of stats at times, I was wondering if alarmists would make doomsday statements arising out of young Rory's stats. Let me guess ... 1. Equipment is making golf too easy, we need to change equipment (again) so they can't drive as long. 2. Wedges need to have even shallower/narrower grooves so birdie is impossible from the rough. 3. Rory McIlroy needs to be banned (only joking about that one). Discussion?

#2 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14300 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

TTR you have it in 1, big hitters have a far greater advantage than those using the long putter, once the driving is reaching 300mts the average pros stand no chance. Technology is good but sometimes it gives a far to great an advantage to a small group.

#3 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10562 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

The first one certainly applies but I believe the horse has already bolted. They can certainly deal with new advances in gear but I do not believe that they will revisit anything that has already been accepted

#4 Bumpun_Beetle

Bumpun_Beetle

don't you member me?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5285 posts
  • LocationThirteen point six warning points

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Technology is good but sometimes it gives a far to great an advantage to a small group.

Question, Is Rors the only one using said equipment?

#5 Groove_Snob

Groove_Snob

NCCSSC COC ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2971 posts
  • LocationIn the garage grinding the grooves of my irons!!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

I notice he was using a short putter..... Maybe they should ban them, and make everybody use a belly, or broomstick??

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11802 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

The simple answer to the pros hitting the ball too far is to specify the ball that must be used for the tournament. And specify a precisely manufactured dud that only goes 75% as far as the balls that we use. That would give a whole new meaning to "tour quality".

#7 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

Wind the ball back wind the ball back......change the grooves....do whatever the fact will remain.......the long hitters will alwasy have an advantage. I agree with OldBogey....there should be a tournament ball that all pros play but its not going to happen. The horse has bolted and the billion dollar golf equipment industry has just too much say. Even if it was implemented and say the effect was a 25% reduction in ball flight, gues what.....the long hitters will still hit it furtherest.....the long hitters will still have the shortest clubs into greens.....it won't change the dynamic. The anchored putting bs has to go though. Its against thye spirit of the game and even the likes of Ernie when he won The Open sais its as good as cheating but he'll do it until its banned. You can't give someone an unfair advnatage becuase they have an issue with part of the game. And as we know putting plays a major part in pro golf. Broomstick ok I can accept-no anchor but the belly putter in my view is wrong!

#8 Node

Node

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts
  • LocationMaryborough Queensland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

While watching the golf the other day the commentators said that both Rory and Luke were 5' 9" tall. Both have access to any equipment they want and the best club fitters in the world yet Rory constantly out drives Luke by 30 or more yards. Sounds to me it's more about skill and ability and let's face it Luke has plenty of that as well just not long that's all.

#9 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

It's all nonsense about the equipment, the guys with the best technique and the most talent rise to the top. McIlroy is 5'9" and not very big. Adam Scott is similar in physique. The game is in a great place at present IMHO.

#10 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3686 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

It’s all nonsense about the equipment, the guys with the best technique and the most talent rise to the top. McIlroy is 5’9” and not very big. Adam Scott is similar in physique. The game is in a great place at present IMHO.

The man who hits at the ball rather than through it has no sense of rhythm.
Secrets of the Master – The Best of Bobby Jones

I agree Razaar.

#11 Schmuck

Schmuck

Mediocre B Class Chopper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6829 posts
  • LocationWalking range of fridge

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

The simple answer to the pros hitting the ball too far is to specify the ball that must be used for the tournament. And specify a precisely manufactured dud that only goes 75% as far as the balls that we use.

That would give a whole new meaning to “tour quality”.

Like this idea a lot for many reasons

#12 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

It’s all nonsense about the equipment, the guys with the best technique and the most talent rise to the top. McIlroy is 5’9” and not very big. Adam Scott is similar in physique. The game is in a great place at present IMHO.

I agree Razaar.

So you agree with giving guys an advantage to strengthen a major deficiency in their game (anchoring of the putter). Some of the Pro's have admitted to being basket cases with the putter before going to the technique. BTW Adam Scott would be approx 6 feet even 6"1 and dwarves McIlroy.

#13 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11802 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

I agree that it's all about skill. The top golfers can get any equipment they want. If they can hit the ball longer and straighter than their opposition without giving anything away elsewhere, they stand a good chance for success. A 'shorter' ball would not change the balance of power.

#14 Jamada

Jamada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

It might not change the winner's circle but altering the equipment and ball might eliminate the need to trick up the courses you can't lengthen.

#15 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3686 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

I agree Razaar.

So you agree with giving guys an advantage to strengthen a major deficiency in their game (anchoring of the putter)

Huh? Where did that come from? But in any event, until I see evidence, rather than unsupported opinion, that long putters (due to anchoring) provide an advantage, I definitely don't agree with that proposition.

"Some of the Pro’s have admitted to being basket cases with the putter before going to the technique."

Some of the pros have admitted being basket cases before changing to a putter with a different head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users