7 replies to this topic

#1 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

I know it's not against the rules to ask a distance from a fellow player. How about someone with you? Hypothetical scenario 'Wife comes for a ride in the golf cart and has iPod/phone with her that has GPS measuring device. I know the device has other functions that are illegal for me to use. Can I ask her for distances as I can a playing partner?' Likewise if a playing partner I ask for distances is using a illegal device are we both technically disqualified for using the device?

#2 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

If you know the device is illegal then you are DQd Decision 14-3/0.7 Player Obtains Distance Information Measured with Electronic Device Q.During a stipulated round, a player himself uses an electronic measuring device to obtain distance information. The Committee has not adopted a Local Rule allowing players to use devices to measure or gauge distance (see Note to Rule 14-3). What is the ruling? A.The player is disqualified. The prohibition in Rule 14-3 against using an electronic device to obtain distance information extends to the player or a member of his side using such a device to obtain distance information. This prohibition in Rule 14-3 would also extend to a player who asks an outside agency to use an artificial device to obtain such distance information for him. However, the player would not be disqualified merely because a spectator or other outside agency provided such information to him without being requested to do so. Similarly, a player is not prohibited from obtaining distance information from scoreboards or from a referee (e.g., when using an artificial device to determine the order of play). (New)

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12115 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

The Decision AAA has quoted refers to using an electronic measuring device when the local rule allowing their use has not been invoked. AB's question is different. But as the device is of a banned type, I expect the answer is effectively the same. Although using an intermediary to filter the information from the device to be only distance information may just be enough to permit such a system. If a spectator, using such a device but the device was not seen by others, had provided the distance information, no-one would be any the wiser. Good question.

#4 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Exactly my thought OB. If I ask my playing partner for a distance and they're using a Bushnell rangefinder (as another example). If at the end or during the round it's discovered it measures slope I'd imagine they'd get disqualified for the illegal function not the party using their specified distance numbers.

#5 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

The answer is the same. Asking for information gained from an illegal device is a breach of the rule, regardless of who operates the device. You will note that the Local Rule only permits the use of conforming devices.

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12115 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Agree, AAA, provided it is known that the information came from a non-conforming device. If I was the player and didn't know the source of the information, I'd take it with a grain of salt. Still, one has to wonder as to what the "device" is. Is it the outside agency supplying only distance information, or is it the electronic object used by the outside agency? What if the chain of information is longer - via more people, or via email, or via twitter? If the only information available to the player is distance information, is the "device" non-conforming?

#7 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2149 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

The player will only incur a penalty if: a) he asks for the advice; b) he knows that the device is non-conforming. Advice on distance via e-mail or twitter during a stipulated round??

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12115 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

He can use a phone as a phone during play, provided he doesn't delay play. He could receive text messages saying what the distance is. Just as long as he doesn't use his phone as a DMD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users