14 replies to this topic

#1 Anfield

Anfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

Causing snap hooks, low ropey ugly hooks. I don't know if its my grip, stance, posture, hips, shoulders or something else? But its destroying my confidence, especially the driver! I've only been doing it for about 4weeks now, but it has to go. Everything I try results in further confusion and a poor shot. I'm playing off 17 and up till recently, was fairly solid with the driver hybrids and longer irons Any ideas?,drills? Feels like my right hand is dominating and almost playing a tennis forehand top spin shot Thanks for looking

#2 CARE

CARE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hi anfield try placing more of your left thumb on the grip, some can control how much right hand is involved by how much of the left thumb is 'on' the club during swing, experiment with this to control shot shape. Also maybe try thinking 'nothing to quick', as in movements, during swing. Let me know how this goes after next session?

#3 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hey ancient, see that you are frustrated trying stuff, if you can post a swing video will help you understand what is happening and the best way to get moving in the right direction.

#4 Groove_Snob

Groove_Snob

NCCSSC COC ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts
  • LocationIn the garage grinding the grooves of my irons!!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Anfield, I'll meet you at the range, and let's get a video up of your swing for the lads....... At least then you'll get to see your own swing as well, and see what we have to put up with every week!! ;)

#5 inkosi

inkosi

2014 ISG Nationals Putting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17798 posts
  • LocationPoint Cook (VIC)

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

I am interested in this as well...Normally happens to me early in my round or when I try to swing too fast.. One of the things that I have been trying is the old glove/towel/headcover under the left arm drill. Found this keeps me on tempo and keeping my arms connected..

#6 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Anfield Try a pause at the top of the backswing before starting down. This little gem fixes lots of swing faults and poor balance issues. The pause I am referring to is only noticeable to the person swinging and wouldn't be picked up by others watching.

#7 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

Anfield, What is the ball flight for the hook, what is the starting ball flight, ball starter left than hook? Straight then hook or goes right than hook? Were you a slicer or fader previous to this?

#8 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Early shoulders

#9 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4197 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

Anfield, Sway forward on impact. This keeps everything turning at the same RPMs. If it does not fix in 5 shots forget it.

#10 Anfield

Anfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Care, KineshM, Razaar and the Dart- thanks guys i'll try these today at the range with Liptout, will report back with findings Zenstb - ball flight is low, starting where I'm aiming but duck hooking WAAAAAYYYYY left after maybe 50m. Havent been a slicer/fader for about 10years now, normal ball flight has been straight to a nice draw, all off a sudden its a nasty hook HeadPro- i'll try to take video today and upload it, thanks for the early shoulders vid, might be onto something there Thanks again guys, i'll report back tonight on the range session and hopefully with a video of my awful swing.

#11 Anfield

Anfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

Went to the range today and while waiting for Liptout to arrive, got talking to the local pro and asked him for his thoughts, he said"hit a few and i'll have a look" After 1 ball he suggested my hips were getting through before my hands, so after his"fix" instruction and another 8 or so hits and a minor grip adjustment, I was smashing the ball long and straight! this pro is a genius!! Thanks for the help guys but i'll perservere with this blokes advice

#12 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5322 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Top stuff. Nothing like instant gratification when sorting this sort of stuff out.

#13 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Went to the range today and while waiting for Liptout to arrive, got talking to the local pro and asked him for his thoughts, he said”hit a few and i’ll have a look”
After 1 ball he suggested my hips were getting through before my hands, so after his”fix” instruction and another 8 or so hits and a minor grip adjustment, I was smashing the ball long and straight!
this pro is a genius!!
Thanks for the help guys but i’ll perservere with this blokes advice

“If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I’d pull the curtains.”
Bill Shankly

Dont forget to pay him, he does this for a living. Maybe a bottle of red for a quick tip.

#14 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4197 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

Went to the range today and while waiting for Liptout to arrive, got talking to the local pro and asked him for his thoughts, he said”hit a few and i’ll have a look”
After 1 ball he suggested my hips were getting through before my hands, so after his”fix” instruction and another 8 or so hits and a minor grip adjustment, I was smashing the ball long and straight!
this pro is a genius!!
Thanks for the help guys but i’ll perservere with this blokes advice

“If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I’d pull the curtains.”
Bill Shankly

What is his name. Give him a plug. It is the best tip of all time. I might come for a check up. I would buy him a case. Just in case he felt he was not helping.

#15 Anfield

Anfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thanks headpro, i'll be sure and pay him in some way for his time and selflessness. TheDart, his 1st name is Rafiq not sure his surname, he works at Killarney driving range on Sydneys NW between rouse hill and windsor He says he's been teaching for nearly 50yrs and just has a knack for spotting flaws very quickly Highly recommended

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users