7 replies to this topic

#1 GoinPro

GoinPro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

after several lessons with my club pro, I've stopped hitting it high and weak by strengthening my grip slightly. now, I can hit my wedges so well, much longer, straighter and with more spin, however, now I'm hitting a hook with everything else. I mean everything, it's making me crazy. I've tried coming outside to in, weakening my grip, but the same hook flight, even when I get it to a slight draw it doesn't stay for long and I'm back to cold hooking it. My striking is very solid, but I'm losing my mind, can anyone help?

#2 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

i was having a round with an ex pro and being just plain nervous, even though I knew the guy fairly well, I snap hooked the 1st 3 drives. He said 2 words to me......"thumbs up". What he was saying was I was "laying off" on the back swing. He showed me how to swing back with my thumbs pointing skywards and...bingo!!...I'm suddenly hitting straight (ish). I still chuck in the occasional snap hook but now I know what I've done....and it usually comes towards the end of a round when fatigue is setting in.

#3 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

The hook is normally associated with the common fault of getting stuck or trapped on the downswing. This happens when your back elbow gets behind your back hip about half way down. It's easy to see it from a video taken from the back angle. The first thing to do is to determine if this is the case, then some great advice to follow.

#4 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

When it's that severe, it's usually a face-to-hands relationship that is closed at address. Try keeping your hand positions, and simply twist the grip slightly inside your hands. Could also have something to do with the fit of your clubs -- if the movement is better but the shot is crooked you might check lie or offset. Video would help, both face-on and DTL.

#5 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Or, it's what HP said... :)

#6 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Goinpro, When you hit a hook what is the starting line of your ball flight? Does the start straight then hooks? Or starts right and then hooks ? Or does the ball start slightly slightly left then hook? Also where is your ball position ? Do you produce steep or deep divots? To me it sounds like a closed face relative to the path, as an example even swinging outside to in , your club face is closed to the path which still produces hooks. With ball flight laws is determined by the face relative to the path. People have a misconception it's relative to the target line. If you answer the questions above and it will gives an understanding of what is going on to resolve your issues.

#7 GoinPro

GoinPro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

thanks so much to everyone, using the suggestions from you guys, I've worked hard on a few things the last week and shot the lights out yesterday, everything was dead straight or a very slight draw!! Can't thank everyone enough!!

#8 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Everyone is humbly shrinking from the limelight, we're so good... :) Congratulations! So, what has made the difference? Whatever it is, keep doing it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users