Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

Driver Specs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

OK, one for the gear heads. I currently game a 6 year old Callaway x460 Driver will 11 degree loft, close faced. Have a graffaloy blue stiff shaft playing 43.5 or 44 inches. Have been feeling for a while I am not getting the most out of my driver, lacking launch and hit a nasty hook at times. On average I think my titleist 910h 20.5 with kai'li stiff shaft is about 15 meters behind but much more reliable. I wild guess my carry is around 220 max with driver with roll out to maybe 230-235. So tried two drivers recently - new ping g20 stiff. Went a mile when I got it (2 iut of 14) but the drop kicks, and slices were not good! the "stiff shaft" was far from it too, very whippy and I couldNt feel the club head at all in my swing, too light I think. Yesterday tried another stick - titleist 910. They didn't have the specs anywhere near what I wanted so trudged back to the range with a 8.5 (set .75 lower) and a regular kai'li shaft. So thought, too flex a shaft and way too low loft. Right from the outset this thing was a great feeling club. Easily matched my existing stick and the launch wasn't any different. So my question, if there is one, is how is this so? I don't go hard at my driver but these specs seemed way off to what I think I need yet it still worked. Any comments welcome, I am going to a titleist fitting in early December to find out more ( as I did with my hybrid, which is brilliant).

#2 Cally4life

Cally4life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

It is your swing - not the clubs. Go down to your local retailer and hit a few balls on the launch monitor. Check out the angle that your coming into the ball and you will find your answer. If all the swings vary by 2-3 degrees, you will need to work on your swing.

#3 Palmeister

Palmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

The torque in recent Ping Driver shafts is really high 5.9-6.0.Crazy even in their stiff shafts.More like Asian shaft specs.Alot of players reselling new Pings.With the correct shaft an excellent driver.Get one with low to medium torque.3.5-4.4 or something.

#4 Pirelli

Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

Get fitted and you can walk away confident that your numbers are correct.

#5 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. No question the fitting will reveal more. This started because I was amazed at how such unlikely specs produced good results. My swing is consistent enough to be genuinely surprised by what my eyes have seen. Trackman will tell me all I need to know for this kind of thing.

#6 inkosi

inkosi

BOON (Otter's best friend)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11266 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Yep get fitted...for a shaft I think is the main one and then loft. I will be looking for a replacement club next year, once my swing is a bit more decent. So instead of just trying out drivers, which I currently can't hit to save my life...My objective is to find a club, that will be long off the tee but will also be consistently in play and giving me the confidence from the first shot. So it may be a driver, a strong 3 wood or 4 wood. Do a comparative test between drivers and woods...choose the one that fits your game and goal...It doesn't necessarily have to be a driver.

#7 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4619 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

BL. Playin off, what is it, 5 handicap and hitting damn looooooong balls with your hybrid, reckon your game and swing is good enough where correct fitting will match your equipment better to you and give you the confidence to commit to the hit. I remember at the 3 club you were consistently out hitting Ari and myself with our 3 woods! Pretty sure your driver would be better than 220m carry mate. Thems my sort of stats.

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10764 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Yep get fitted…for a shaft I think is the main one and then loft.

I will be looking for a replacement club next year, once my swing is a bit more decent.

So instead of just trying out drivers, which I currently can’t hit to save my life…My objective is to find a club, that will be long off the tee but will also be consistently in play and giving me the confidence from the first shot.

So it may be a driver, a strong 3 wood or 4 wood.
Do a comparative test between drivers and woods…choose the one that fits your game and goal…It doesn’t necessarily have to be a driver.

A two-foot putt counts the same as a two-foot drive.
http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Kinesh, if your current driver is not suited to your swing, you'll have trouble ever getting consistency. Something like a pre-loved R7 with a shaft to match your swing speed might just be 'near enough' to help you hone your skills, and not a significant outlay in the interim. What are you gaming now?

#9 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

BL. Playin off, what is it, 5 handicap and hitting damn looooooong balls with your hybrid, reckon your game and swing is good enough where correct fitting will match your equipment better to you and give you the confidence to commit to the hit. I remember at the 3 club you were consistently out hitting Ari and myself with our 3 woods!

Pretty sure your driver would be better than 220m carry mate. Thems my sort of stats.

Ghetto train – get on it.
Bandit express.

Winner C grade OOM #3 Patterson River.

GG - thats been nagging me. I dont believe the distance between my driver and 3h is correct and has got me thinking about this. In other words I think, based on how far I hit the 3h, I should be getting more out of the big dog. Ill revive this after my Titleist fitting next Tuesday and see what comes out.

#10 inkosi

inkosi

BOON (Otter's best friend)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11266 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Yep get fitted…for a shaft I think is the main one and then loft.

I will be looking for a replacement club next year, once my swing is a bit more decent.

So instead of just trying out drivers, which I currently can’t hit to save my life…My objective is to find a club, that will be long off the tee but will also be consistently in play and giving me the confidence from the first shot.

So it may be a driver, a strong 3 wood or 4 wood.
Do a comparative test between drivers and woods…choose the one that fits your game and goal…It doesn’t necessarily have to be a driver.

A two-foot putt counts the same as a two-foot drive.

Kinesh, if your current driver is not suited to your swing, you’ll have trouble ever getting consistency. Something like a pre-loved R7 with a shaft to match your swing speed might just be ‘near enough’ to help you hone your skills, and not a significant outlay in the interim. What are you gaming now?

Current driver: Exotics XCG-V 12 deg, 44.5", Reg Voodoo Shaft. I have more confidence in my 4 wood (16.5 Exotics CB, Reg) I am leaning more towards accuracy than distance.

#11 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4619 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

BL. Playin off, what is it, 5 handicap and hitting damn looooooong balls with your hybrid, reckon your game and swing is good enough where correct fitting will match your equipment better to you and give you the confidence to commit to the hit. I remember at the 3 club you were consistently out hitting Ari and myself with our 3 woods!

Pretty sure your driver would be better than 220m carry mate. Thems my sort of stats.

Bandit express.

GG – thats been nagging me. I dont believe the distance between my driver and 3h is correct and has got me thinking about this. In other words I think, based on how far I hit the 3h, I should be getting more out of the big dog.

Ill revive this after my Titleist fitting next Tuesday and see what comes out.

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

Interested to see the results. Are you getting fitted at a range or indoors into a net?

#12 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Bandit express.

GG – thats been nagging me. I dont believe the distance between my driver and 3h is correct and has got me thinking about this. In other words I think, based on how far I hit the 3h, I should be getting more out of the big dog.

Ill revive this after my Titleist fitting next Tuesday and see what comes out.

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

Interested to see the results. Are you getting fitted at a range or indoors into a net?

Bandit express.

Off the first tee with trackman. I wouldn't bother with a net at a retail store from what I have read/heard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users