#1 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

OK, we have all talked about the pre-shot routine to death, so I roped you into reading this by changing the title of the topic. Below is what I teach and what I feel when I am playing my best golf. Although its 6 distinct steps, I am known as a very fast player. I would appreciate hearing what works for you, how you do it when you do it best. Influence Every lie and slope has a predictability factor in trajectory, direction, and release. Determining them and playing the most probable shot increases my chances for success so I try to play with the course instead of resisting it. Confidences I then create a rush of confidence with my body language. Smile, posture, and move as if I already have confidence, my emotions naturally follow. Positive Images I start with my target and imagine the shot I know that I can play backwards. This is not a picture but a short movie of me playing the shot I feel would be the most fun. Find It I then make practice swings to feel the swing and set up position I need for the shot I have planned. When I feel it's right, I smile and enjoy doing it. Learn from Misses I know that to improve, I must continually be learning from my mistakes and monitoring my swings. I take a little time after each missed shot and make a few practice swings to learn what is needed. Drop the Past The past does not equal the future so even if I made a great shot, I put it behind me where it belongs. Its only forward thinking that will lead me to a great round.

#2 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

Step off If it doesn't feel right, for whatever reason, step away. May be a fly, thought, noise or whatever. The slightest indecision will usually affect the swing. Ignorance Acknowledging someones opinion but having the confidence in your decision to produce 'your shot' and ignore outside influences. I try not to even watch a putt on a similar line to mine so I choose the line that's right for my putting stroke and decision. Enjoy Many people can't play for whatever reason. Take enjoyment from the fact you can. Afterall it's a game and games are meant to be fun.:)

#3 CARE

CARE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Diaphram (deep) breaths, if strongest and deepest was a 10 id make it around a 7 or could have opposite effect, before every stroke. Usually 2-3 is enough to lower both heart rate and blood pressure within 10-15 secs, has a great physiological effect. To test effect try shallow breathing in shot preparation!

#4 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

OK, we have all talked about the pre-shot routine to death, so I roped you into reading this by changing the title of the topic.

Below is what I teach and what I feel when I am playing my best golf. Although its 6 distinct steps, I am known as a very fast player.

I would appreciate hearing what works for you, how you do it when you do it best.

Influence
Every lie and slope has a predictability factor in trajectory, direction, and release. Determining them and playing the most probable shot increases my chances for success so I try to play with the course instead of resisting it.

Confidences
I then create a rush of confidence with my body language. Smile, posture, and move as if I already have confidence, my emotions naturally follow.

Positive Images
I start with my target and imagine the shot I know that I can play backwards. This is not a picture but a short movie of me playing the shot I feel would be the most fun.

Find It
I then make practice swings to feel the swing and set up position I need for the shot I have planned. When I feel it’s right, I smile and enjoy doing it.

Learn from Misses
I know that to improve, I must continually be learning from my mistakes and monitoring my swings. I take a little time after each missed shot and make a few practice swings to learn what is needed.

Drop the Past
The past does not equal the future so even if I made a great shot, I put it behind me where it belongs. Its only forward thinking that will lead me to a great round.

some of those points seem to be pre-pre shot stuff eg learn from misses..(not sure what my husband could learn from me:)) When you have a preshot routine I would've thought it was all about decisions and actions?? Condensed your view looks like 1. check target 2. decide shot 3. visualise shot 4. practice shot 5 commit and hit. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

#5 koiom K. Frenzy

koiom K. Frenzy

AKA Details Available Next Business Day

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2760 posts
  • LocationBack in town

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Step off
If it doesn’t feel right, for whatever reason, step away. May be a fly, thought, noise or whatever. The slightest indecision will usually affect the swing.

I wish I could do this Pretty sure I've never stepped away even when I knew it didn't feel right. I know I should, but I've never been able to do it. Don't know why

#6 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

I have a friend who steps away on every shot -- it's part of his pre-shot routine. He makes a preliminary set-up very quickly, then a 2nd one a little slower, but still not slow. He's not known to be a slow player -- pretty average. He says it gives him better perspective on his set-up. Kind of like the guys who 'tap' their feet, only this guy does a bigger version. Good player too.

#7 OlddogMike

OlddogMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

After a bad round where my driving was a big problem with slices and miss hits, I am now doing a practise swing at full speed but stopping just before the ball. I then observe whether the face of my driver is either open or closed and adjust accordingly, and then take the shot. This has improved my driving big time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users