92 replies to this topic

#1 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

So the coveted breaking 90 barrier is something that I seek to do this season before winter rolls in and what better place to keep track of this than a public forum where I name and shame myself. It seems that breaking 90 on a consistent basis is what separates choppers from golfers and this is something I've put on myself to do in the 2012-2013 season. I want to play golf and not hack dirt. Background: Picked up golf in October 2011, have had 4 lessons so far. Long game is half decent, short game is being worked on with coach. Trouble off the tee is always a pull and sometimes pull hook causing lots of lost strokes. Putting is in one word - pitiful. The aim - to break 90 being defined as no more than 18 over par! How - reduce penalty strokes from lost balls and putt better. Was given a GPS golf buddy unit that tracks scores and stats so will post these here every round. I will play at least one round of 18 every week, maybe 2 if the missus will oblige me:)

#2 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14149 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Queensland

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Onya Two piece. Look forward to hearing all about it.

#3 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Casual day out at Malvern Valley GC: Score: 94 (+27) GIR: 22.2% Putts: 40 Fairways hit: 66.7% Pars:5 Bogeys: 5 Doubles: 4 Wipes: 5 Lost balls: 4 Penalty Strokes not inclusive of lost ball: 0

#4 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

RACV Cape Schanck Score: 103 (+33) GIR: 27.8% Putts: 47 Fairways hit: 44.4% Pars:4 Bogeys: 3 Doubles: 5 Wipes: 6 Lost balls: 6 Penalty Strokes not inclusive of lost ball: 0 Yes - I putted 47 times holy CRAP!!

#5 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

The power of statistics. I never realised I putted so many times at RACV. So far, this sums up my wipes - lost balls from tee shots gone astray and poor putting. I'm heading out to Emerald Golf Club this Sunday. I'm going to try to play conservative there with my tee shots (5 iron or 3 hybrid). As for putting... Well I guess my dad was right calling me the worst putter in the world. Edit: Have to add that 2 tee shots going left on me in a row is enough to leave me shaken for the next few shots. Gotta work on the mental side and getting rid of the lefties

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10707 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Emerald is not tough - if you keep your balls on the fairway. Practise your putting on the carpet at home.

#7 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Emerald is not tough – if you keep your balls on the fairway.

Practise your putting on the carpet at home.

Funny enough my house mate gave me a putting mat plus cup thingy as a gift last week. Shall be practicing a lot! Any local tips for Emerald mate?

#8 LowLife

LowLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'm in a similar place, I want to break 90 regularly also I have played about 30 comp rounds and have done so 4 or 5 times but only on my home course which is on the less challenging side. Had my first two rounds on the weekend after having knee surgery, so I had a few months off. I'm looking at getting lessons to get my swing right and a few putting lessons as my putting was terrible also I had 93 and 90, so good luck and I'll let you know how my putting goes this weekend as this is probly our main problem.

#9 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18909 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

two piece 1stly welcome to the forum dude i consider my self a good putter so here's my tip you use the putter MORE than any club in the bag so love it and practice the most with it. you roll the ball you dont hit it. pick a target line and aim at the target NOT the cup (unless str8) only the short putts are str8 when in trouble in the rough = bunt it out on to the fair way and you only drop 1 shot = take the aerial route at your peril. also check out the issek days OOM's days, we get upto 60 seekers to these days and good fun good luck with your journey kiwi

#10 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

Thanks Kiwi, I need to practice putting more especially the speed of the putt. I feel that if I can control my speed well my scores can improve dramatically, not surprising since my stats show I lose strokes to the putter and driver. Just looking to not to lose any balls tomorrow! I'll do the OOM days as soon as I have enough cards for my handicap.

#11 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18909 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

Thanks Kiwi, I need to practice putting more especially the speed of the putt. I feel that if I can control my speed well my scores can improve dramatically, not surprising since my stats show I lose strokes to the putter and driver.

Just looking to not to lose any balls tomorrow! I’ll do the OOM days as soon as I have enough cards for my handicap.

All the gear I want yet lacking the skill I need.
Loving the masochism, Loving golf.

Goals for 2012:
1) Driver carry 240m @ 60% fairways
2) 7 GIR per round
3) <34 putts per round

good stuff mate try not to think about not losing balls it's akin to chipping over a bunker and you keep thinking "dont go in the pot, dont go in the pot" then you put it in the pot be positive and just swing the club also here's a putting speed drill that my coach gave me eg 5 & 6m putts on the practice green pick your line where your ball needs to travel, then take a last look at the cup, while still looking at the cup make the putt takes a lot of thinking and anxiety out of it let me know how you get on. the committee will update your cards for you when you come on board

#12 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

So here's today's scores for Emerald GC: Score: 97 (+27) (Front 9 +11, Back 9 +16) Greens Hit in Regulation: 6/18 Putts: 40 Fairways hit: 61% Pars:4 Bogeys: 5 Doubles: 7 Wipes: 2 Sand Save: 1/2 Lost balls: 3 Penalty Strokes not inclusive of lost ball: 0 I hit 6 greens in regulation today and walked away with only 4 pars. Really am trying my best with putting, but I'm proud that I left very few putts short of the hole today. I made an 8 on the par 4 16th because I bladed my 50m pitch into thick rough. Made my other 8 on the 14th because I pulled left into the forest off the tee. Lost 2 balls of the tee and one from the fairway. Very conservative and was swinging within myself today, measured GPS distance on my tee shots and they were about 10-15m shorter but I hit more fairways so I'm happy there. Thanks to Kiwi - I took all my tee shots today with conviction and no worries. So, not many penalty strokes due to lost balls compared to my last round. All in all, given that this was my first time at Emerald I think I did ok - especially considering that the rough here is so punishing.

#13 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

After much reflection, I've resolved to change my practice routine. I need to eliminate the big miss off the tee so I will be practicing tee shots to have a more playable miss. I'll spend 50% of my time putting and spread the rest out to pitching, chipping and some sand shots. Haven't had much trouble with irons so I will treat pitching as my iron practice. I left myself some very long putts so pitching will definitely need to be worked on. Won't get to play 18 this weekend but I have a 1 hour lesson instead so it should be good getting coach to tune me up.

#14 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Twopiece, for practising putting find what works for you and makes you feel confident when you are going to the green. Putting is such a mental game, so having identified it as a weakness you are probably also putting pressure on yourself when you do it. Some on here will say to practice long putts only and the short ones will look after themselves. I take the opposite approach and do most of my practice inside about 6 feet. I figure if I can get to the point where I am very confident in my putting inside 6 feet, then it takes the pressure right off my longer putts - I am then very confident that I can get it within a distance where I can hole the second putt. Finally, finish off your putting practice with short putts - whether 2 footers or 1 footers - whatever distance putt that you can be confident of holing 95% of them. Then you always walk away from the practice green with the most recent memory of holing a lot of putts and the sound of them going in the hole. If you are just putting at home on the carpet, I like to practice trying to roll the ball over a 5 cent piece - it makes a nice little ***** noise as feedback when you hit it and trains your eye to aim for smaller targets.

#15 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2839 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

Twopiece. Ask Kiwi how to practice. If you go to the range and see the coach, ask him how to practice. Ask your coach how to practice.

#16 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

Deege - Thanks, to be honest I actually don't practice long putts. I mainly work on 3 & 6 foot ones. These ones make me most nervous whereas long putts I feel no pressure at all. But thanks for the tip on one fosters. Vinum - my coach wants me to work on my 56 & 60 degree wedges with half swings and three quarter swings. Also got me chipping with my 7, 8, 9, P and S to learn the carry/roll ratios. This was all mainly to keep my lower body quiet as I have a problem with an overactive lower body in my full swing. He hasn't seen me putting during a game yet!!

#17 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10707 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

Sorry, Twopiece, I've only just read your request for Emerald tips. I gave you my best tip anyway - keep it on the fairway. If you did that, you wouldn't have lost 3 balls. Although I have had the odd ball get swallowed in the middle of the fairway. Getting your putting distance right is crucial. And greens vary a lot from course to course. Always go to the practice green and get a feel for distance. You would be welcome to play a round with the Olinda club (at Emerald) on a Saturday if you'd like to get a feel for club golf. We don't mind if you're a crap player - we've all been there, and we know you will improve. At sub-100, you wouldn't be our worst player anyway. Let me know if you're coming.

#18 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18909 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

to be honest I actually don’t practice long putts. I mainly work on 3 & 6 foot ones. These ones make me most nervous whereas long putts I feel no pressure at all.
the drill i gave you was for anything from 5 - 8m putts it will eliminate the 6 footers they will now be 2 footers and no nerves or 3 putts

#19 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18909 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

Putting is such a mental game, so having identified it as a weakness you are probably also putting pressure on yourself when you do it.
it is also technique rolling not hitting if you have no technique you will soon be mental

#20 Twopiece

Twopiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

to be honest I actually don’t practice long putts. I mainly work on 3 & 6 foot ones. These ones make me most nervous whereas long putts I feel no pressure at all.

the drill i gave you was for anything from 5 – 8m putts
it will eliminate the 6 footers
they will now be 2 footers and no nerves
or 3 putts

some people are like clouds, when they do eventually piss off it’s suddenly nice and sunny

Thanks kiwi, I only have room enough for 5m in the house so that will have to do for now. And because I'm doing this inside I can only putt for speed and distance. I'll have to save practicing uphill side hill and downhill putts at the practice greens sadly. One thing at a time hey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users