7 replies to this topic

#1 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

I recall HeadPro was asking for suggestions for the club pro to become more approachable for players or something along those lines. I had a thought.....is it worth a Pros time for a 'Quick Fix'? Now to explain this best I'm thinking of maybe 15mins. The reason I thought of it was I've moved my grip, just slightly right and now I'm not slicing and direction/alignment is improved. This made me think if it had of been possible for me to pay $20 to check my grip (something I'd presume would be achievable in 15mins) I would've paid it. Now I know the argument is a lesson will have a pro figure this out but I think the best analagy is to compare it to a car. Some people will pay $200 for a full service and safety check and others want the mechanic to fix one thing although it may not be the problem. Should pros be like mechanics and offer the quick fix and the full service? Maybe a price board? Grip Check $20 Stance/alignment $20 Backswing $20 Followthrough $20 3 foot putting $20 10 foot putting $30 Bunker $40 All these would be a quick 'I'll show you and you show me you've got the gist of it' walk away and let them practice Full lesson $ Explain how you can observe more and watch and ensure technique is correct. A disclaimer of time may be necessary :) Thoughts?

#2 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4176 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

Allegingbow, Brilliant. I will use it instantly. It will not do many any good but it will be an introduction. Thanks for a great idea. I learn more than I teach.

#3 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

A friend started a program at $1 per minute, 15 minute minimum at times when he was not busy. Dart's right -- he found it to be more of an introduction than a really effective tool, but it's a good idea to get to know people. I did something similar about 10 years ago, $20 to fix your swing without saying anything. It was an interesting and enlightening teaching experience.

#4 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Last week I needed some 'quick help' from my veterinarian as my dog had some kind of abrasion on her head, ended up she just needed some antibiotic cream. What I got was a 45 minute exhortation on disease, I realized 25 minutes into what seemed like her new seminar material that this was going to cost me. Her receptionist didn’t bat an eye when she announced my bill of $220.00. This experience made me wonder if I ever do the same thing with my golf students. I personally wont be back to my vet unless I feel there is something horrible wrong with my dog. As a club pro I used to give heaps of free quick help to my members, I felt it was just good relations and I wanted to always be approachable. Although some took advantage, most would book a full lesson occasionally or give me a nice bottle of scotch during the holidays.

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10696 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

$220 for 45 mins! They're solicitors' rates.

#6 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Perfect for busy people and such a nice intro to pro and his teaching methods without the whole "I'll add 30 mts to every shot and it'll only take weekly lessons x forever but you'll be on single figure handicap!" rubbish. A slower bleed than the vet but too similar to discount :) and our responses are the same, ain't goin' there unless it's really broke. Nice one boys :)

#7 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Her receptionist didn’t bat an eye when she announced my bill of $220.00.
Most vets do the seminar talk, but I would have complained or find another vet.

#8 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Played recently with a player from Out of town who started at 25 hip and is now off 7. He said he was spoiled to play probably three times the average golfer and put this down to his rapid drop and alot of lessons. I said he was fortunate to be able to obtain so many lessons and explained how family commitments made it difficult to justify. He elaborated that he and others in the club would approach the pro on one topic eg driving and get a bulk rate. Said it cost him at most $20. Maybe the pro shops could have a sign up board for such things?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users