17 replies to this topic

#1 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Was curious if there are any drills/practice that can be made with driver. I'm not interested in fades and draws just consistency in strike and tempo. Do the pros have any suggestions for a drill/practice with 50 odd balls?

#2 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

+1 AB.............making of a good thread right here

#3 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

The driver is the biggest and most 'aggressive' swing you make in your game. That said, you should not pay a lot of attention to how you hit it until you are fully and properly warmed up. It's not enough to know how to hit it, your body must be prepared to hit it. A 'driver drill' like the slow motion drill AB talked about in another thread is good, where you make full swings and hit it 100, 150, 200m, is a good way to work on mechanics. But even this drill is marginal without being warmed up. Tour tempo drills in which you count during your swing are good too. Count one, two, three to the top of the backswing, then with a slight pause (while the body continues to move), four is at impact, five, six to the finish. And don't discount attempting some draws and fades. Sometimes practicing exactly the same thing produces a copy of a copy, and you get a little off anyway. A few attempts at hitting draws and fades helps provide reference for where you want your stock swing. A good drill is to purposely hit 2 to the right, 2 straight, and 2 to the left...

#4 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

No Soup For You, Next!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13105 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I'd suggest pick a target for your driver, but at your normal driving distance ....... and then like GS suggests hit various shots ........ but all to the same target. Just nice smooth swings ...... all with a solid tempo, will promote more learning, if you combine that with hitting various shapes shots AB. Try to fade a couple of drives to the target ........ then draw a couple to it. Check the clubface after each shot to see if they are coming out of the middle etc. (Check your impact) Then just a couple of straight ones ....... then I'd also toss in hitting a couple of low ones at it, and finally a couple of high drives at it. By trying to hit all the various shots with your driver with the same smooth swing and tempo, you will learn much more about your game, than just impacts and tempo alone. I also figure, if you try and hit your driver only half distances, your going to throw out any tempo, as well as just stuff up your impacts ........ so I'd just work on what you're actually going to do with it on course. If you want to work on your 100m shots ......... go get your 100m club out of the bag, and not your driver. Just my 2 cents ........

#5 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

AB A good drill is to hit easy shots with the feet, legs and body set up facing in the opposite direction to the target. It gets you to feel the back facing towards the target for the majority of the downswing, which is important in the driver swing.

#6 DelMar

DelMar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Tee up ball. Stand behind line of ball, visualise shot and pick exact target. Stride to ball, 2 waggles, line up club head, take stance. Look at target checking alignment, relax body and grip, look back at ball and swing immediately with no hesitation thinking of target flight (i find this doesnt allow thoughts about swing mechanics etc to creep in).

#7 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

AB
A good drill is to hit easy shots with the feet, legs and body set up facing in the opposite direction to the target. It gets you to feel the back facing towards the target for the majority of the downswing, which is important in the driver swing.

The man who hits at the ball rather than through it has no sense of rhythm.
Secrets of the Master – The Best of Bobby Jones

Sorry Razaar,I dont get that at all,please explain in more detail.Not knocking it,just not clear on it ...cheers

#8 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

"users online" tells me you saw this Razaar,obviously reply is in too hard basket

#9 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Set up facing the same direction as the plane line but with the back to the target. The ball position is side on with the forearms rotated towards the ball and the legs rotated towards the ball but still back. Still clear as mud? This is a drill I created for myself to learn the feeling of the arms and legs rotating towards the ball during the backswing, and keeping the shoulders from opening prematurely in the downswing. It also creates lots of resistance in the left side another important element in a driver swing.

#10 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

“users online” tells me you saw this Razaar,obviously reply is in too hard basket

You're kidding right!

#11 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

? sorry mate,just cant grasp it,its prolly not you ,it must be me.

#12 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

“users online” tells me you saw this Razaar,obviously reply is in too hard basket

You’re kidding right!

My bad sorry

#13 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

You’re kidding right!

My bad sorry

No probs. I was part way through drafting a reply and the phone rang.

#14 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

Set up facing the same direction as the plane line but with the back to the target. The ball position is side on with the forearms rotated towards the ball and the legs rotated towards the ball but still back. Still clear as mud? This is a drill I created for myself to learn the feeling of the arms and legs rotating towards the ball during the backswing, and keeping the shoulders from opening prematurely in the downswing. It also creates lots of resistance in the left side another important element in a driver swing.

Sorry,Razaar.............I just dont get it,there has to be something missing here,im no contortionist

#15 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

Haha...it does take practice. It is most probably the exact opposite feeling one would expect in a golf swing. Keep at it, after all it is a drill to wind the arms and legs to the left during the backswing. They continue to wind towards the left in the downswing. It gives the feeling of the left arm lifting in the backswing and the feeling of the right elbow staying down and close together without the pivot confusing the issue. It also puts the left shoulder/side in a very strong position, something that golfers who slice have never felt before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users