• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 18Handicaper

18Handicaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

When I practice my swing is reasonably fluent and in tempo but whenever I am in a comp situation I tense up and try and steer or guide my shots, particulary driver and irons and especially when there is an OOB withing range. My chipping and putting does not seem to suffer from this so I feel it is the fear of hitting it way off target that prevents me swinging freely through the ball. Its not that forget and I tell myself time and time again before a comp round to do this but cant seem to commit to it when the time comes. People who have seen me practice cant believe I am stuck on a 17 handicap. How can I overcome this fear of failure?

#2 18Handicaper

18Handicaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Just to add, when I tense up and start guiding/steering my backswing and follow through get shorter and are not complete. ps, is there any difference between guiding and steetring?

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12758 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

Might I suggest a book such as Bob Rotella's "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" ?

#4 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

I've talked to tour players who say that they play aggressively to more safe places. Perhaps your issue has to do with choosing 'plays' that are more aggressive than you should be choosing. Not much difference between guiding and steering. It just means you're not sure where the ball is going, and rather than playing to safer locations you're more worried about hazards. 2 suggestions: 1) Give something up to get something. It's not always a driver 'play'. If the wind or landing zone, or both, are not favorable, a shorter club might be in order. On a par 4, sometimes playing a 5-iron, 5-iron, wedge means a shot at a par vs. driver (ob), driver, 8-iron. If you choose driver you should understand that sometimes it is the most risky play, so if you choose it you should play aggressively but accept failure. Also, trying to hit the green from difficult angles may be taking on more risk than you should. Sometimes playing to or near the front edge and taking a chip and a putt is appropriate. Play to where you CAN play to... 2) Switch your thought process from set-up to free swing. Once you're over the ball and looking at it you can't see where you're aimed anyway, so you switch into making the best swing you can make. Larry Nelson used this idea to win a US Open....

#5 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

The answer is not in the machanism but the intent.

#6 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4196 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

True depending on the level. If he could not hit it he could not play at that level. We have all had that field at times; sure we shoot 10 shots better but better than what. What is defined by mechanics. Hand location at impact separates pros from hackers. Given enough pressure/fear everyone will steer. Depressurise of play a choke shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users