14 replies to this topic

#1 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

Through my never ending quest of golf knowledge I've come across a twist on learning. It is supported by books like 'six weeks to winning weekend golf' by John Purner. '99 swing thoughts and none of them are hit the ball' by Christopher Smith. Speedgolf and even Stephen Bowditch did it. It's the 'less is more' approach. Stephen Bowditch said he got to scratch using 'I had a 2 wood 4 wood, 3,5,7,9 and a 56 and my putter.. Tought me everything I needed to know to play the game' Christopher Smith(World record holder for Speedgolf) 'I've settled on a driver, 5-metal, 5-iron, 8-iron, gap wedge and putter. Works for me, and I'm very accustomed to what I can do with these clubs. ' John Purner also states in his book the less clubs we have the more frequent their use. From this, everytime you play you essentially practice more and become more accustomed to your club selection due to frequency of use. I use a variation of the Speedgolf set. I replaced the 5 wd with a 3 hy as I don't have a 5 wd anymore. I've scored my best 9 with this setup and my first comp round with it had 22 points on the front before thinking too much of having a excellent round. What are your thoughts on this? Pros and cons

#2 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

I also found playing urban/off course golf with the Almostgolf ball and varying targets helped with learning trajectory and what I could do with one club. To a point it actually made me realize I had more of a idea of creating a shot than I had thought. Especially when trying to go around a tree by bouncing the ball off a gazebo :)

#3 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

I just had a look at speedgolf,SHITE,that aint for everyone and im on top of that list...................its just gotta be a fitness thing right?

#4 delicate1

delicate1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

Know for a fact bowdo had more clubs than that in his bag. Basically the more clubs you use the less effort you need to put into working out how to add loft or deloft the club in hand .

#5 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

Know for a fact bowdo had more clubs than that in his bag.
Basically the more clubs you use the less effort you need to put into working out how to add loft or deloft the club in hand .

Bowdo got to single figures with the above setup. His words. I'd imagine he'd need more to turn pro. As for the add loft or deloft that is one option. The thing I've found with the less club scenario is you think more about your next shot or course management. Just my opinion.

#6 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

I just had a look at speedgolf,SHITE,that aint for everyone and im on top of that list…................its just gotta be a fitness thing right?

Speedgolf in it's essence is for very fit and healthy people. The concept however is for quick decision making and thought processing. It explains alot how our walk from one shot to another can cause over processing the next shot. I'm not suggesting we all run a 6 km course in under a hour.

#7 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

"WHEW" lol

#8 Codboy

Codboy

Tearing up country tracks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5712 posts
  • LocationIn the bar

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

Yarnie and i are all over 'speed golf' lol

#9 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I have played 9 holes in 45 minutes on my own and shot 1-2 over a few times the dont think just do is good as it doesnt clutter the mind too much the trick in comps however is to think about everything non golf in between shots. It's actually quite hard to do to think about anything but golf because by nature we think about what has just happened and what to do next.

#10 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2191 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I have been consciously trying to work on grooving my routine so that I spend less time considering each shot. I was worried I was getting in the way of myself with too many swing thoughts and so on. So far I am enjoying the discipline - it certainly helps me with the mental element of the game.

#11 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

speed golf - sorta like when we were recently playing in heavy rain and were bolting and both shot 38pts :) makes sense as we weren't thinking anything just running to hit the ball every time to finish which we did in record time because everyone else bailed....interesting concept and worked for us on that day.

#12 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

During the summer we used to tee off at 6:30 or 7 pm and see how many holes we could get in. It was all about playing fast. Had some great rounds that way. Making snap decisions on the course is a good way to learn. Having a 2nd ball in your pocket to drop as a 2nd option helps quite a bit too.

#13 Top_Cat

Top_Cat

Top_Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2433 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

The quicker you finish the quicker you get to the bar. There's something to think about.

#14 Stovard44

Stovard44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

Agree on that i also discovered playing urban/off study course golf with all the Almostgolf ball and varying targets contributed to learning flight and what I possibly could do along with one golf club.

#15 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

http://forums.iseekg...ll-in-australia Agree Stovard :) I also realize that the limited clubs has given me shot options most don't consider. Change in trajectory etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users