#1 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14448 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

If my friend and I purchase and jointly own a GPS for the purpose of playing golf, can we both use the same device in for instance a stroke comp round if we only look at it and do not discuss the contents?

#2 Dulberf

Dulberf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

Of course. You're local rule will say something like the below. Distance-Measuring Devices: In this competition, a player may obtain distance information by using a device that measures distance only. If, during a stipulated round, a player uses a distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect his play (e.g., gradient, wind speed, temperature, etc.), the player is in breach of Rule 14-3, for which the penalty is disqualification, regardless of whether any such additional function is actually used. The rule says "a device", not "your device". A quick google search confirms this with the R&A. Q. If the Local Rule for distance measuring devices is in place, may players share a distance measuring device? A. Yes…although it is important that players sharing devices do not unduly delay play.

#3 Dulberf

Dulberf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Actually, a change to the rules in 2008 removed distance as "advice" anyway, so you can even discuss what's on the screen. Not many people know this. You are allowed to ask anyone for a distance to the flag, hazards, trees etc. They don't need to tell you, but you are free to ask without being done for "advice". However, if you ask for something like which way the wind if blowing, or whether a putt breaks left or right, that is advice, and this can only be asked of your caddie or playing partner. Partner is a team-mate in a teams event like 2BBB.

#4 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14448 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

Thank you, our potential problem solved. I thought this would be the case. the device being used gives distance clearly and only takes seconds to check

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11829 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

As mentioned above, it is not "advice", so you can tell anybody what it says.

#6 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2396 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Actually, a change to the rules in 2008 removed distance as “advice” anyway, so you can even discuss what’s on the screen. Not many people know this. You are allowed to ask anyone for a distance to the flag, hazards, trees etc.

The definition was altered to specifically include the word 'distance'. Previously, distance between permanent objects (eg tee to green, tree to bunker) was not advice. However the distance from or to a non-permanent object (eg ball to green) was considered advice.

#7 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14448 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

That would have been a minefield.

#8 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2396 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm not sure if a mine was considered permanent or not. Moral dilemma. Do you tell them the next one is 5 yards away or let them get blown up?

#9 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

Page

#10 Coverdriver

Coverdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

I’m not sure if a mine was considered permanent or not.
Moral dilemma. Do you tell them the next one is 5 yards away or let them get blown up?

Surely a mine would be classified as an immovable obstruction

#11 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14448 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Moral dilemma. Do you tell them the next one is 5 yards away or let them get blown up?

Let the buggers blow, gets rid of some opposition.

#12 Libba

Libba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

As a cricketer the Coverdrive was the hardest shot to master. As a golfer, I can achieve it with frustrating regularity.

Agreed. From the rule book... "An obstruction is a movable obstruction if it may be moved without unreasonable effort, without unduly delaying play and without causing damage. Otherwise it is an immovable obstruction." I was going to disagree with you and argue that it was a movable obstruction, because if you step on one it will move rather quickly...then I read the bit about "without causing damage".

#13 Coverdriver

Coverdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

As a cricketer the Coverdrive was the hardest shot to master. As a golfer, I can achieve it with frustrating regularity.

Agreed. From the rule book…

“An obstruction is a movable obstruction if it may be moved without unreasonable effort, without unduly delaying play and without causing damage. Otherwise it is an immovable obstruction.”

I was going to disagree with you and argue that it was a movable obstruction, because if you step on one it will move rather quickly…then I read the bit about “without causing damage”.

See I was thinking it was immovable purely based on the fact it couldn't be moved "without unreasonable effort" - rendering a mine safe is pretty much an unreasonable effort in my book.

#14 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14448 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

If you move it you cannot delay play, or cause damage. That could happen, pretend it's not there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users