20 replies to this topic

#1 goughy

goughy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:15 AM

That about says it all. Being budget conscious (yeah right :wink: ) I want to limit myself to under $1500, and preferably around the lowish $1000 mark.

I'm sure it will be used to video golf swings so I don't know if I should be looking for anything specific. It will also get used to film my band from time to time and put some of the footage on our website.

Any thoughts on what to look for in a camera or any camera suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 jarro

jarro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6068 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:19 AM

whats your band's website

Goughy

:?:

go on, give yourself a plug tongue.gif

#3 amanda_wong

amanda_wong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:22 AM

goughy

- we have a Sony DCR-TRV19 - does all the basic stuff really well - operates great in low light (better than the more expensive models in the range).

It doesn't have a memory stick to take pictures - this is the only drawback - but we weren't worried as we already have a digi cam.

Cost us $990 including a bonus pack with bag & an extra battery. It might be a bit cheaper now as newer models are being released.

Not the smallest on the market, but small enough - you can hold it in your palm.

We chose a Sony because it had the best picture quality. We also used the following website that has heaps of reviews:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Camcorders/2001-65...ag=cnetfd.glnav

#4 goughy

goughy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:33 AM

Thx amanda. I was thinking of keeping away from sony because of the memory stick they use, but I must admit I hadn't put much thought to which had the better picture quality. Strange of me considering I studied media production at uni. :oops:

#5 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:40 AM

canon's pretty good...
dad's got one, the model is something 900 something... laugh.gif

#6 amanda_wong

amanda_wong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:57 AM

Mine still captures video on tapes - MiniDV I think the format is called.

#7 apholden

apholden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1688 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 05:24 AM

I've got the next model up from Amanda, the 22. Paid $1179 about 6 months ago.

Good camera. It's a shame I don't have the PC to be able to handleit.

#8 Courty

Courty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 07:53 PM

Goughy,
if I had to pick one, it would be the Sony DCR-TRV19 or DCR-TRV22 if you want to take decent still images...
Mini DV format is the way to go nowadays. Just plug the camera into your firewire port (if you have one) and feed the raw footage straight to your hard drive for editing/ post-production.

#9 amanda_wong

amanda_wong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 08:43 PM

And you can buy a DVD burner with firewire card for about $300 these days.

#10 Courty

Courty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 08:47 PM

If you buy a mac you get the firewire card, dvd burner and video-editing software all included!

#11 goughy

goughy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:36 AM

The one we're interested in is a panasonic dv-gs50. About $1400 with 5 dvd's (can choose from a selectoin of 25) and a bundle package with firewire card, cable and some extra editing software. Still images are ordinary (640 * 480) but we've got a digital camera anyway. pcm sound, zoom mic, hotshoe, everything sets out easy to use. Had a look at a jvc ?70? which is cheaper but not the functions just don't fall in the right places. It's very small but it's drawback is only 10x optical zoom. But how much do you really need??? Rob's gonna see if she can handle that little zoom power.

It also records movies in mpeg-4. Is that handy. And the screen flips around to be used as an assist light/extra light for low light.

The thing is. There are so many out there which one do you buy.

The prices I saw for the sony trv19/22 seem to be about the same as now. But toowoomba dosen't exactly have a strong competitive market. The guy at harvey norman actually knew more about the camera's than I did. That's a first for me

#12 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2850 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:01 AM

The thing is. There are so many out there which one do you buy.

it always seem to be in these cases you get stuck with something and there was something else better.

just make sure you tell the guy you are buying it off that you want to record your golf swing at very fast frame speeds. that way if you end up with a camera that doesnt do this job very well, then you have legal right to demand refund or exchange due to goods not fit for the intended purpose.

#13 apholden

apholden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1688 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:03 AM

The guy at harvey norman actually knew more about the camera's than I did.

He's a wasted talent at Hardly Normal then. :wink:

Choice Magazine Dec 2003 rated the Panasonic NV-GS50 pretty well, when they looked at some cameras between $1000 and $4000. (6th) However they rated the Panasonic NV-DS65 higher (5th), even though it is cheaper.
These are the two highest rated in your price range. The two Sonys mentioned above do not appear to be rated.

Choice Magazine Jan/Feb 2003 rated the Sony DCR-TRV18E highly (4th). This was the highest in your price range. The 18 has been superseded by the 22.

#14 goughy

goughy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:16 AM

They've got a 65 there cheaper, but by the time I get set up with firewire the price is the same. I've been reading some reviews on a site that is pretty indepth. Everyone says there camera has problems with low light (I knew that), even the expensive ones. And everyone says that the stills suck. I could guess that.

He said ( :roll: ) he only had 3 left when I saw him at 3pm this arvo. Gonna go back with the boss in the morning to check it out.

Do any of you guys who have optical zooms past 10x really use them. That's the one thing my wife wanted was a larger optical range (no "dosen't yours appear long enough goughy" lines please tongue.gif ).

Doing more research I found the jvc model I was also looking at falls down in one big area. It's advertised as being able to put video's onto vcd or dvd etc, but if you don't have firewire then forget it as the usb connection only works for the sd card. Glad I didn't bite there.

#15 apholden

apholden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1688 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:13 AM

Doesn't sound like you really need extra optical zoom for the uses you described above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users