60 replies to this topic

#1 Drivingitlong

Drivingitlong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

PLayed both courses over the weekend Dunes - Wow what a course, every hole a picture great viewing great fairways great greens it had it all. various ways to play most holes making you really think about your tee shot then how you will attack the green. BY far the best course i have ever played, you can tell they built this for pure golf oh and it helps when there was little to now wind 10/10 Lost Farm - a very good course and layout but compared to the Dunes course its the poor cousin. Boring stretch of holes 10 11 12 compared to the rest of the course. The 14th is everything its cracked up to be and then some we had to tee up some old balls and smack them into bass strait. Great club house and facilities 8/10 overall an awesome time was had and another trip was being planned on the flight home both courses are great value for money although i wish they would just charge me an extra $10 for the golf and give me the buggy for free. my only advice would be to find a place to stay in bridport as you are restricted in what you can do after you play and the food at the bay inn pub was awesome if you thinking of doing this trip stop thinking and just do it

#2 tassimike

tassimike

tassimke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Locationlaunceston

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

You need to try the dunes when the wind blows mate. , Played a charity day not so long ago, ambrose, wind half strength, guys I played with lost many balls. Whenever I drive into the carpark, the atmosphere is electric. the only other place that that has happened was at NSW golf club in Sydney many years ago.....Mike.

#3 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

A workmate is off to play Banbougle next week, can't wait to get some photos and emails bragging about how good it is

#4 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17889 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

A workmate is off to play Banbougle next week, can’t wait to get some photos and emails bragging about how good it is

A number of guys from my golf club are there this week. I got an invite but couldn't make it unfortunately. Definately on my bucket list.

#5 tassimike

tassimike

tassimke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Locationlaunceston

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

A workmate is off to play Banbougle next week, can’t wait to get some photos and emails bragging about how good it is

A number of guys from my golf club are there this week. I got an invite but couldn’t make it unfortunately. Definately on my bucket list.

9/10/12 – Hole In One – 7th Hole Portsea GC
2012 (Official) Winner of Inaugural ISG Nat. Champs.
2011 Inaugural winner Vict. Order of Merit Putting Champion – Long Island

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Playing Lost Farm Saturday boys.Always a great experience no matter how many times you play it.

#6 IFYARECKON

IFYARECKON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

If Lost Farm was built anywhere else other than next to the Dunes course, it would probably be rated a lot better than what it is. The fact it's next door neighbor is one of the best in the country will always mean Lost Farm is the poorer cousin.

#7 Drivingitlong

Drivingitlong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

If Lost Farm was built anywhere else other than next to the Dunes course, it would probably be rated a lot better than what it is. The fact it’s next door neighbor is one of the best in the country will always mean Lost Farm is the poorer cousin.

thats a good point , i think when you are there you get caught up in how good dunes course is compared to Lost Farm. its like complaining that the super model you picked up was only cindy crawford because you missed out on elle.

#8 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

I have played about 20 rounds at Lost Farm now. I never saw it as a 'poor cousin' and the more I play it the more that is confirmed in my mind. It is a brilliant course - and I see 11 as one of the best holes. Certainly it should not be a cause for criticism. Nor 10 and 12 - and they were the key to unlocking the routing puzzle. Originally the plan was 10 current 13 and there were two holes left of 14. They didn't fit and Bill Coore's solution was the key.

#9 RoyJJ

RoyJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

I played both courses over the weekend and think that while the Dunes is tougher and a real challenge, I enjoyed Lost Farm more. No negatives to either course as they are both brilliant but the general feeling was that Lost Farm is more fun. I should also mention staying at Lost Farm could not have been any better and the Sports Bar is unreal!

#10 Malvern

Malvern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts
  • LocationThe Brookie Hill

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

RoyJJ, was down there last week as well, liked the Sports Bar, breakfast in the restaurant was OK as well.

#11 FuzzyJuzzy2109

FuzzyJuzzy2109

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1143 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Is it correct to assume the Barnbougles are best played in summer? I've been to Tassie twice (no golf though, sadly) - both times were in middle of summer and it was still pretty nippy. How smashed do the Barnbougles gets in the middle of winter? Still playable?

#12 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1715 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

Is it correct to assume the Barnbougles are best played in summer? I’ve been to Tassie twice (no golf though, sadly) – both times were in middle of summer and it was still pretty nippy. How smashed do the Barnbougles gets in the middle of winter? Still playable?

Keep it surreal folks.

Not necessarily. I played it February 2011 and we had non-stop rain and about 8 degrees on the Saturday and then 100km wind and about 18 degrees on the Sunday. It’s a lucky dip I reckon.

#13 tassimike

tassimike

tassimke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Locationlaunceston

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Is it correct to assume the Barnbougles are best played in summer? I’ve been to Tassie twice (no golf though, sadly) – both times were in middle of summer and it was still pretty nippy. How smashed do the Barnbougles gets in the middle of winter? Still playable?

Keep it surreal folks.

If you can put up with nippy mornings Fuzzy, winter is great at the "Bougles". Why you ask? Dont tell anyone else but the winds dont blow as fiercly as in summer. Also , not as many people around...Mike... PS...Bridport is on the ocean=milder temps.

#14 ChipGMac

ChipGMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Winter is pure links weather IMO. We were there in August this year and had very cold starts (around 4 or 5) with extreme wind/rain and hail. Played through the worst conditions I have experienced on a course and did it with a smile (and decent rain gear I might add). Would do it again any time.

#15 Mofopete

Mofopete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

I have played about 20 rounds at Lost Farm now. I never saw it as a ‘poor cousin’ and the more I play it the more that is confirmed in my mind.
It is a brilliant course – and I see 11 as one of the best holes. Certainly it should not be a cause for criticism. Nor 10 and 12 – and they were the key to unlocking the routing puzzle. Originally the plan was 10 current 13 and there were two holes left of 14.

They didn’t fit and Bill Coore’s solution was the key.

Which one is best macc? I think that the dunes is the better course but I think that part of the reason is that the stretch of holes from 3-9 is so good and it comes early in your round. At lost farm, the best stretch of holes is 13a to 18 but because it comes later in the round it doesn't seem as special.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users