Special Promotions

Teetime Specials

Photo

Nike's new cavity backed high speed driver.

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

#1 bushy007

bushy007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

New innovation in drivers released today from Nike. I would love to know the thoughts around here. The Americans are going nuts on their forums. Plus during the live launch this morning there was mention of a few new products specifically the improved RZN technology but I missed most of it.

#2 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1650 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

http://www.golf.com/...lubtest-results Most of us high handicappers can benefit from higher MOI. And 4 degrees of loft, sounds like this and the Cobra Amp Cell will be the new norm. Adjustable from 8.5 to 12.5 degrees pretty much covers all your bases. Should be popular with retailers too as they won't have to have every combo of loft and shaft on their shop floor.

#3 bushy007

bushy007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

To be honest I'm excited to see what kind of performance this thing will deliver. The square heads never did it for me but this is very interesting. The red crown isnt as crazy as what I thought it would be. It doesnt look too bad.

#4 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3698 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

I like the look of the tour version (Nike VR_S Covert Tour) From the video, I like the 'one-stop shop settings'. The days of a loft number being stamped on a driver seem to be almost gone.

#5 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4683 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Definantly prefer the Tour version. Not sure on the red face, but the tick thing next to the hosel is bloody annoying

#6 koiom K. Frenzy

koiom K. Frenzy

AKA Details Available Next Business Day

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3528 posts
  • LocationBack in town

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Hmmm yeah that swoosh on the club head would be a bit distracting. I don't even like looking at leaves on the ground when I tee up so that swoosh would do my head in. Being OCD is a ***** when you play golf :)

#7 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3698 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

Intriguing info. Especially about the 3 wood & 5 wood adjustability. It seems that wondering whether to get a 3 or 4 wood will be a thing of the past. "Drivers: The 460cc Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver will retail for $299 and come stock with a 50g Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 50g shaft.The Covert Tour Driver is 430cc, pear-shaped, and comes standard with a 60g Mitsubishi Kuro Kage shaft. Retail will be $399. Both will be available in February 2013. Fairways: Adjustability thanks to FlexLoft will be available on the Tour model only. The 3 wood allows from 13-17 degrees of loft. The 5 wood from 17-21 degrees."

#8 RonOz

RonOz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Like the loft and face adjustability, no more wanting to try the 9.5 driver when they only stock 10.5 and useful as well if you want to try the high lofted versions. I assume that there weren't too many colour schemes left that would stand out in tournaments on TV. This way you will be able to tell Tiger is hitting his Nike driver by the brightness of the colour scheme. I suppose like white drivers when they first came out you would get used to it, especially if it goes well. Hopefully they will have more than one shaft option as one shaft certainly doesn't fit everyone.

#9 FuzzyJuzzy2109

FuzzyJuzzy2109

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

looks rather awesome. I like that red clubhead better than the white TMs n Cobras. I have the VRs, which goes great...

#10 jarro

jarro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6064 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

I wonder if Rory will play one ?

#11 FuzzyJuzzy2109

FuzzyJuzzy2109

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

Like the loft and face adjustability, no more wanting to try the 9.5 driver when they only stock 10.5 and useful as well if you want to try the high lofted versions.

I assume that there weren’t too many colour schemes left that would stand out in tournaments on TV. This way you will be able to tell Tiger is hitting his Nike driver by the brightness of the colour scheme.

I suppose like white drivers when they first came out you would get used to it, especially if it goes well.

Hopefully they will have more than one shaft option as one shaft certainly doesn’t fit everyone.

Great point about the shafts. That's why I'm replacing my (rather new) VRs driver - cos the only shaft that comes as standard has proven too light for me.... . The 913 D2, which I'm picking up this Friday, comes with five shaft options as standard, most of which are aftermarket. I understand that's cos it's aimed at better players, but even so...good point:).

#12 bushy007

bushy007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

At first glance the flex-loft is the big innovation I can see. 8.5 to 12.5 is a really big range, the 3 and 5 woods having the range that they have is another bonus. As someone who is not experienced at fitting I can only assume it will 'release the shackles' somewhat of fitting to specific clubs and give fitters more options. Time will tell how much of a difference the cavity will make. Also interested to see if these will be the only two drivers in the line up. I would expect the VR Pro line will continue.

#13 Kingpair

Kingpair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Like the loft and face adjustability, no more wanting to try the 9.5 driver when they only stock 10.5 and useful as well if you want to try the high lofted versions.

I assume that there weren’t too many colour schemes left that would stand out in tournaments on TV. This way you will be able to tell Tiger is hitting his Nike driver by the brightness of the colour scheme.

I suppose like white drivers when they first came out you would get used to it, especially if it goes well.

Hopefully they will have more than one shaft option as one shaft certainly doesn’t fit everyone.

That will depend on the person who owns the rights in Australia bringing the Nike One system out here (And we all know who that is). There was a discussion about this issue in previous threads when comparing all the other OEM's and their fitting systems in OZ.

#14 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

hmmm - give it 6 months and they will be cheap on the bay still it will sell like mad then we'll discover its probabaly not much better than our current beasts what will happen though and its probabaly a good thing is that people will discover more loft is the way to go...people will go geez I'm hitting it best on the 11.5 setting as opposed to 8.5

#15 Spartan52

Spartan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1756 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

+1 to that loft comment Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users