33 replies to this topic

#1 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Got a bit bored chipping so I thought I would finish off by chipping with 1 hand. left hand 20 balls then right hand 20 balls,I had an absolute ball,what really came to the fore was keeping club on a plane of motion,when the clubshaft came off plane the shot would be poor but when club stayed on plane all was good.....right hand (rightie) was easy,had to do a bit of concentrating with left,but once I got it right it was also easy...... One thing for sure ,it makes you keep hands ahead..........lol cheers

#2 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

That must be a new feeling for you TGM advocates;)

#3 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

What do you mean by that razaar?

#4 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

That must be a new feeling for you TGM advocates;)

The man who hits at the ball rather than through it has no sense of rhythm.
Secrets of the Master – The Best of Bobby Jones

Im gathering your comment was complimentary.....thanks

#5 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Brownman, Nice going on finding more precision by training one hand at a time. Thanks for passing it on. It is Zens favorite drill. It is also fun to do it left hands with each hand and the club upside down. This reminds you of the basics. The reason kids are good is that they are not strong enough to force the club off plane. There is always something left to improve unless you know it all. In TGM the plane of motion is the boss and almost everything makes it unachievable for the average player. And anyone can learn..if you know how.

#6 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

What do you mean by that razaar?

Every comment I have read on this forum from TGM people about the backswing focuses on the right arm. Your post was the very first (I have read from a TGM'er) focusing on the left arm. Yes I was being complimentary.

#7 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Yes ,I see where your coming from,all good. Bad news is Im a very much right arm player,its just my preference,the other side of the coin is that I do realise we were given 2 arms,I would be a fool not to examine every option we have.... I have never knocked any one else,s teachings,but for me the TGM suits my very inquistive mind.....its not a different golf swing,or technique............its just a book of the golf swing Its not for every one ,but its for me....cheers friend

#8 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

In the interest of balance the left arm is the master accumulator and releaser of energy. There are dozens of things we TGMers don't mention. Trying to get a few things across should initiate interest in those who might want to look further. My interest was sparked when I heard a TGMer speak and mention five things I had not heard of in twenty years of looking at every word I could find on golf. The trouble is that the common line is passed on without investigation. Even yesterday a new pupil said "Ah, I lifted my head". He could have said "Poor preparation of pivot balance, pace and rhythm. I could not store the energy long enough".

#9 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Yes ,I see where your coming from,all good.
Bad news is Im a very much right arm player,its just my preference,the other side of the coin is that I do realise we were given 2 arms,I would be a fool not to examine every option we have….

I have never knocked any one else,s teachings,but for me the TGM suits my very inquistive mind…..its not a different golf swing,or technique….........its just a book of the golf swing

Its not for every one ,but its for me….cheers friend

Brownie, best advice I can give you about the golf swing is to persevere with left side control and let the right arm be a guide, support and brace (but never in control). Learn to do functions in everyday life with the left hand, writing is an example. It will also work the right side of your brain making your game more creative and less technical. With left arm control you will be able to advance the right forearm on the right elbow in the backswing creating arm torque and more power, something not possible with right arm control. The list of advantages is long.

#10 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Brownman, For building skills, I like people to learn to use each hand individually. Anyone can chip with both hands. Learn to use your left hand you better understand club face control. Using the right hand you learn power control and timing to release your lag. I practice 4 balls left handed, 4 balls right handed and 8 balls with two hands. The lights go on for people the difference between quitting or steering and what a flat left wrist is. Tiger before he plays he always spends 10 minutes chipping with his left hand.

#11 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thank you Razaar,for me ,I dont really feel left or right ARM orientated insomuch as I do concentrate on the pressure points on both sides . For swinging I am very much aware of pp# 4,Im sure you know it,I monitor its use frequently combined with pivot ,so yes its important for sure,also as the swing progresses,I also unconsiously am using right side PPs ....for ME I do really feel the need to rely more on the unfolding of the right elbow for for my "checkpoint" . We all most prolly have different checkpoints or FEEL in our swings,each to their own ,all the TGMers do differently is "nothing",we are simply made aware of the different componants in a golfswing that we can work on monitor them one at a time 2 at a time whatever.,they are just catagorised for ease of identification and use. I know you not a believer in the hitters pattern,thats fine,but I am a firm believer ,to use that,one must use their r/side,but also keeping the left arm in the swing as checkpoint using extensor action, but again I dont think right arm or left arm,but I do use the different chekpoints on both sides. Another of my "quirks" is never to think of hands in my swing,but the PPs in the hands,if that makes sense. cheers EDIT....I should also add that I do all this from the ground up

#12 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

Stark contrast ISG........plane of motion............veiws....219 posts....10 LBG......plane of motion............veiws.....3,440 posts....159............and still going I reckon we must have it down pat............just saying

#13 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Stark contrast

ISG….....plane of motion….........veiws….219
posts….10

LBG…...plane of motion….........veiws…..3,440
posts….159….........and still going

I reckon we must have it down pat….........just saying

Good golfer are hitters ... just saying TGM majority of the top 100 coaches have read the book and studied TGM that's a fact. Sean Foley, Mac O'Grady, S&T adopted their teaching principles from TGM. Majority of the top 100 have integrated the TGM into their coaching. Brownman there is a world coaching group and there was a poll done. They said who do we thank for helping teaching principles today. Homer Kelly was nominated in the top 3.

#14 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Stark contrast

ISG……..plane of motion……......veiws….219
posts….10

LBG……plane of motion……......veiws…..3,440
posts….159……......and still going

I reckon we must have it down pat……......just saying

Good golfer are hitters … just saying

TGM majority of the top 100 coaches have read the book and studied TGM that’s a fact. Sean Foley, Mac O’Grady, S&T adopted their teaching principles from TGM. Majority of the top 100 have integrated the TGM into their coaching.

Brownman there is a world coaching group and there was a poll done. They said who do we thank for helping teaching principles today. Homer Kelly was nominated in the top 3.

An official iseekgolf.com teaching panelist

scott@zenolink.com

http://www.facebook.com/zen...

Core Health first 3D gym in the world. 1 Golf Links Road, Frankston South

+1

#15 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

TGM not being grass roots after 42 years disappoints me on golf teaching intelligence. Grass roots - it has hardly penetrated the top 10%. Even those don't give it much credit, they just re brand it. It is key that new thinkers have the full story to think with - not what "they" think is important. I will have to lower my expectations or lengthen the time line on enlightenment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users