#1 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationGolfers Heaven, Mornington Peninsula

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:29 AM

I am looking at the "Australian Handicap System" document dated 21 Sept 2011 available on the Golf Australia website at http://tinyurl.com/d7brlff Item 1. D. (i) states that all scores established in 18 holes singles competition rounds played under the Rules of Golf........ "SHALL" be used for handicapping purposes. So it has to be in a stipulated round in a competition. Item 1. D. (vii) states When a person plays within a competition field, but does not actually enter the competition their score if attested by ....... "SHOULD" be used for handicapping purposes. I accompanied two friends who were playing in an American Pinehurst Foursomes comp this morning, and I chose not to enter the comp - no partner available, but kept a card for personal interest. In effect I was playing a practise round with little real focus, but there to mark their card. The friend took my card, stating that it may be needed to verify their card scores, and handed it in. Our club handicapper then entered my scores as Ad Hoc scores into GolfLink. I subsequently raise an objection to this, but to some extent I was fobbed off with a "tough ....". As the Handicap "rules" Item 1. D. (i) states that "all scores established in 18 holes singles competition rounds played under the Rules of Golf........ "SHALL" be used for handicapping purpose, whereas Item 1. D. (vii) states" When a person plays within a competition field, but does not actually enter the competition their score if attested by ....... "SHOULD" be used for handicapping purposes". So is there a difference between "SHALL" and "SHOULD", and do I have any say in the "SHOULD" implementation?

#2 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10782 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Interesting that the Handicapper even considered entering the score when apparently the daily event was Foursomes, which does not require any scores to be entered for Handicapping purposes. The other point here is that there is no requirement for a card to be handed in for verification purposes. This goes back to the idea of using the Markers card as a check for the accuracy of the players cards. Match officials have no right to use the markers card for verification purposes. The markers card has no offical standing it is purely there as a check for the players & their Marker. There is no requirement in the rules for the marker to even write his score on the players card that he is marking. However as your card was handed in & the score entered it may be that the handicapper does not wish to remove said entry when the rules state that such scores Should be entered for Handicapping purposes.

#3 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4916 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Did one of your friends sign your card? If not, then the card was not attested and not to be entered. If your card was attested then any astute handicapper would assume you wished for your card to be entered. The other thing, when playing a practice round, it takes quite a lot of discipline to play it to the strict rules of golf, especially when you think you might be holding up people playing competition. I personally would pick up tap-ins and probably drop a ball after a minute searching instead of going back to rehit. That would mean the round wasn't played according to the Rules of Golf and ineligible for handicapping.

#4 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Had the card cancelled off Golflink. Given that the "Rules of Golf" on page 9 "Understand the Words" states that "should" is a recommendation, whereas I suspect "shall" is a "must", is entry of a card in the above situation optional?

#5 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10782 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

As stated in the above post. There was no neccesity for the card from the Practice round to be attested to or entered . There was no need for the card to be entered for verification purposes either. As I read the rule, If you choose to play a practice round in a competition field. Choose to get the card countersigned & enter it into the score card box, Then it "Should " be handicapped

#6 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4916 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

The 'shall' in 1D(i) refers to scores IN a competition round, which your score is not. Your case, playing outside the competition but amongst a competition field, is solely handled by the 'should' in 1D(vii). Now the GA document is not part of the Rules and does not necessarily adopt their terminology, however any general reading of the word 'should' would mean submission of your card was not mandatory.

#7 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

I think the distinction between "shall" and "should" is important. GA state earlier in the document "(iii) The (Handicap) System is based on the assumption that every player will endeavour to make the best score they can at each hole in every round they play and that they will report every eligible round (in accordance with Section 1D) for handicapping purposes, regardless of where the round was played." Golf is a continuous process of trying for improvement - we go out with the intention of trying different clubs, different balls, a different grip, whatever. Thus the above assumption is wholly incorrect. Note: "in every round they play" On a very significant number of occasions we are NOT trying to make the best score, we are testing something new that just might improve our game. And I believe that if you are not actually playing in a competition then your score should not be counted for handicap purposes, unless you specifically request/state beforehand that it should. It shouldn't be open to the Captain or Handicapper to make that decision for you. Whether you keep a card or not is irrelevant.

#8 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10782 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

The handicapper can only enter the score if the card is signed & handed in so ultimately the choice is yours as to if you will be handicapped or not In the OP you seem to have been misled into thinking that the scorers needed your card to be handed in for score verification purposes. This is not the case.And to state the obvious, If the card is not handed in the round cannot be handicapped. I do agree with you that practice rounds are often an opportunity to try things that you would not normally do in a comp round & therefore it should be the players choice on weather the card should be handed in for handicapping purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users