• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bennyp85

bennyp85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

Playing in my Tuesday comp this week and something a bit strange happened. I played my tee shot into the right rough. The ball came to rest next to a tree trunk and m ball was resting against a pine cone. I didnt move the pine cone because if i did the ball would of rolled. Next thing i know my playing partner came over and kicked the pine cone away. Whats the deal. Was there a rule broken ? N.B : thinking about it now, the balled moved slightly when he kicked the pine cone. Was i meant to replace it to it's original position ?

#2 peak_sy

peak_sy

Supa Gorilla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

First question, was it your partner in a teams event or a fellow competitor. Hard to answer accurately without knowing that first.

#3 bennyp85

bennyp85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Yeah just another competitor in my group.

#4 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

In that case he was a Fellow Competitor (FC). A Partner is one who plays with you as part of a side. Either in a match or in a 4BBB. As he was a FC, there is no penalty for moving the ball but it must be replaced. I assume it moved rather than just oscillated on the spot.

#5 bennyp85

bennyp85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

Found the rule : ) 18 Ball at rest moved 18-3 - By Opponent, Caddie or Equipment in Match Play b. Other Than During Search If, other than during search for a player’s ball, an opponent, his caddie or his equipment moves the ball, touches it purposely or causes it to move, except as otherwise provided in the Rules, the opponent incurs a penalty of one stroke. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced.

#6 bennyp85

bennyp85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

My bad that's for match play AAA was correct

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13147 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

In answer to your question, Benny, the FC didn't incur a penalty. But if the ball moved it must be replaced. If not replaced, the player incurs a two stroke penalty for not replacing it. The definition of 'moved' is basically that it 'came to rest in another place'.

#8 bennyp85

bennyp85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

Yeah. In actual fact i didnt replace the ball after it moved so i should've incurred the penalty. I ended up scratching that hole. hahah I was standing on the green after it happened and had a feeling i cheated somehow. When he kicked the pine cone away we both just looked at each other and laughed. I felt a bit guilty. He said to me with a baffled looked on his face "were you going to play it like that?"

#9 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4915 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

You're not a cheat for not knowing a procedure or applying a penalty you unknowingly incurred. You only cheat when you become aware that something might be wrong and you don't make an effort to follow up on it.

#10 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1275 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

Your friend did a "bad" thing. He did something that gave you a benefit or potentially so. If you had asked him to move the pine cone so you would notrisk movingthe ball you should be disqualified. i think the Rule is 33-7 but I am going from memory In the pefect world you would have restored the pine cone and the ball to original positions and then dealt with situstion according to the Rules. Canonisation would follow in due course. Miracles are unnecessary

#11 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1275 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Your friend did a "bad" thing. He did something that gave you a benefit or potentially so. If you had asked him to move the pine cone so you would notrisk movingthe ball you should be disqualified. i think the Rule is 33-7 but I am going from memory In the pefect world you would have restored the pine cone and the ball to original positions and then dealt with situstion according to the Rules. Canonisation would follow in due course. Miracles are unnecessary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users