41 replies to this topic

#1 baz37

baz37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

The challenge is to build an imaginary Golf Course made up entirely of courses on the Gold Coast (including Tweed and Gainsborough). Design rules (well its our idea) are as follows: 4 x Par 3's (150 to 190 metres long) shorter only if its a stunner. 4 x Par 5's ( Two only capable of reaching in 2 shots) 4 x Par 4's ( Difficult) 4 x Par 4's (Glamour) 2 x Par 4's (Able to be reached in 1 shot but big penalty if you miss) The 4 difficult Par 4's will be holes 8, 12, 4 and 16 (any guesses why ?) The last three holes will be Par 4; Par 3; Par 5. We will try and settle one hole every week (well we will TRY) Nominations welcome from anyone but you should have played the hole at least a couple of times and briefly note why you nominate this hole. Your selection can be from anywhere on the course ( which means your nomination for the first hole for example may be a different number on the course from whence it came). Thats enough rules Baz. So to get the ball rolling our nomination for the first hole, a par 4 from the "Glamour" class: Our Composite Course Hole 1 "The Glades" hole 1 (coincidentally) nice friendly opening hole, can't be reached in one, easy landing area, small well bunkered green. Over to you....

#2 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5229 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

What does "glamour" mean ?

#3 baz37

baz37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

A great par 4 you absolutely love, not necessarily difficult and looks great.

#4 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1071 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

I nominate the Par 4, 12th at Tweed/Coolangatta River Course. Shortish hole, dogleg left where you need to be precise off the tee to make sure you have a good look at the green. Beautifully bunkered, rolling green sitting within a dense grove of trees. Easy to make anything from 3 to 6 on that hole.

#5 baz37

baz37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Great choice, I think that hole will be in somewhere but for now it's in the mix for 1.

#6 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

An awesome grand finale hole. The number of sad stories and ruined scorecards I've heard because of the 18th are too numerous to count. The tee shot is a little demanding with water left and trees right. The green is reachable in two shots with a good drive played to the left side of the fairway. If you don't have the length to reach perhaps a driver is not necessary as a lay-up shot short of the water is inevitable. Now the fun begins... to go for it or not to go for it?? And... with what club?? A good drive should leave a long or mid iron to the green. It's a very long green and reasonably wide but from the fairway you can clearly see that short is not an option, so "club-up". If you are laying up be sure to err right as a pulled or hooked shot will keep on bouncing towards the very water you're supposed to be laying up from. If the pin is at the front half of the green and you are past the pin, be prepared for a knee-knocker as this is green has the biggest slope on the course. Birdie or even eagle is very attainable but just be sure you attempt shots you are capable and confident of playing or you will be signing for a snowman or even more. 18th at Gainsborough Greens, I wiped it. (Description from their website)

#7 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

Actually, cancel that, I forgot about the 18th at Palm Meadows, one of the greatest (finishing) Par 5s I have ever seen. Take on as much water as you can on the drive (Hi Nat) layup requires precision down to the water again. Small green with 3 bunkers with sand harder than Krypronite and there you have it. Unconfirmed rumours that Norman drove the green in a howling westerly add to the brilliance of this gem.

#8 Barnesy05

Barnesy05

Made in Vachina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17525 posts
  • LocationYour Computer Screen

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

Actually, cancel that, I forgot about the 18th at Palm Meadows, one of the greatest (finishing) Par 5s I have ever seen. Take on as much water as you can on the drive (Hi Nat) layup requires precision down to the water again. Small green with 3 bunkers with sand harder than Krypronite and there you have it. Unconfirmed rumours that Norman drove the green in a howling westerly add to the brilliance of this gem.

the greatest game ever played
First Life Member of the Secret Squirrel Society.
SEQ Captain.

lol

#9 baz37

baz37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Waffle, Waffle, Waffle, pay attention sunshine.....we are looking for nominations for the first hole of our composite GC course. Both those holes you clearly lament will be in the mix for our finale, I guess along with the last at The Glades, Robina Woods etc etc.....see your making us get ahead already. Back to nominations for the first...you have till Friday next. Baz

#10 baz37

baz37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Waffle, Waffle, Waffle, pay attention sunshine.....we are looking for nominations for the first hole of our composite GC course. Both those holes you clearly lament will be in the mix for our finale, I guess along with the last at The Glades, Robina Woods etc etc.....see your making us get ahead already. Back to nominations for the first...you have till Friday next. Baz

#11 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

ok baz

#12 TheCommish

TheCommish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8277 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Royal Sydney Hole # 1 Hole 1 Par 4 274 m Index 16 This opening par 4 is reachable from the tee by long-hitters, but wayward shots left will find bunkers and right will find trees, The fairways is of reasonable width but the very slight dog leg right can easily find you too long and in the bunkers for that long straight hit of 225m. Players who find the fairway off the tee will be left with a short pitch shot to reach the green which is guarded by sand on both the left and right. A relatively easy opening hole which can easily turn into a bogey/double bog if too cocky.

#13 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Commish, Commish, Commish, you'll be in trouble too, I think its meant to be GC courses.

#14 baz37

baz37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

sigh

#15 HJF

HJF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

I suggest first at Robina Woods. A good length par 4 with a wide landing zone but water on the right to catch out a poor tee shot. A good green that must be hit or a challanging up and down will be faced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users