#1 mouldy

mouldy

Potential Greg Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Yarra

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Doing something wrong on my long putts as often the ball is bouncing and coming up short. I play early on dew covered greens at public courses so the greens are quite slow and you need to give it a fair whack. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong ?

#2 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Mouldy, Sounds to me your putter lacks loft, get your putter loft adjust to 5 or 6 degrees loft this will make the ball role better

#3 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4094 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Mouldy You are hitting down on the ball. If your ball position is towards the centre of your stance the putter head will lift up sooner on the takeaway then it would if the ball was more forward in the stance. This will encourage a downward strike and make the ball bounce as it takes off. A good position for the ball is opposite the left arm pit (righty) to encourage a more level strike.

#4 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

It often has to do with the method you choose to make the ball go farther: Hit it harder Make a bigger swing If you impact the ball 'softly' you are more likely to roll it. If the ball doesn't bounce on anything up to about 20 feet, then that technique should be made bigger. Watch a really good 'roller' of the ball and it looks long, smooth, and effortless. Watch a player with bad distance control who bounces the ball and the stroke will be shorter and quicker. Long putting should be practiced to better roll the ball. Also, apply some face tape to the face of your putter and find out where you're striking the ball. Chances are it's above the center of the face if you're bouncing it...Most misses are high-toe, I've found.

#5 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18915 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

ball position or loft?? maybe are you hitting it or rolling it??

#6 mouldy

mouldy

Potential Greg Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thanks guys, gave me some food for thought. I think I am gripping too tight and stabbing at it as I am anxious about making the distance. Funny thing is that I putt well on the occasional games at RM and other top courses on the fast greens where all you need to do is help it on its way. Need to join a decent club LOL.

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10716 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

Mouldy, you could join in on our OOMs. We often play those on 'better' courses with quality greens, compared to the average public course anyway.

#8 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18915 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Mouldy, you could join in on our OOMs. We often play those on ‘better’ courses with quality greens, compared to the average public course anyway.

Yes mouldy very welcome

#9 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Moudly, My suggestion is add more loft to your putter. On the Asian tour their putters have 8 degrees of loft due to the slower greens. This reduces the back spin on the ball. It like when we bump and run the ball bounces whilst trying to grip the green due to the backspin, same thing happens with putters. My putter has 6 degrees of loft so I can play on both sandbelt courses and on slow greens.

#10 mouldy

mouldy

Potential Greg Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

cheers OB and Kiwi. May well take up the offer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users