Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlets Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlets Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

The Commitment Ladder

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Where does your golf game sit on the commitment ladder? Whatever it takes Until / Unless I’ll try Hope Indifference This is something I get very clear before I work with my students. If my commitment is higher than my students, it’s normally a frustrating experience as I give them things to work on which they have no commitment to actually do. On the other hand, they may prove to have a greater commitment than I realized and need much more attention. My students are always asking me how much they should practice, it all depends where they are on the commitment ladder. Their is no right or wrong here but identifying where you are might explain why frustration comes and why results are often not achieved. It takes a great deal of time to improve at this game. To a large extent, how high you are on the commitment ladder dictates how fast you are able to make the journey. Whatever it takes This is the only commitment level that gets optimum results. In fact, when you think about it, anyone can achieve just about anything they set out to do if they can sustain this level. Until / Unless – Most of you have broken your New Years resolution, need I say anymore? I’ll Try – I often will ask my students to ‘Try” and sit in a chair. They automatically sit down and I will tell them NO! I didn’t say to sit in the chair, I said to “TRY and sit in the chair. Its pretty funny as they hover over that chair trying as hard as they can. Although Trying is higher than Hope and Indifference it still lacks the commitment needed for great results. Just ask all the people in your life who will be 'trying' to be on time. What they are really saying is that they will probably be late because they lack real commitment. Hope – This can be a dangerous commitment state if there is no action behind it. Hope alone does not get you anywhere; just ask everyone who purchases lottery tickets. Indifference - Happy regardless of results, you just like the game and if you can improve a little that would be nice. Either way, you are happy. Actual improvement is minimal and left to chance.

#2 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18982 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

HP think im jammed between "I''ll try" & "untill/unless" i am time poor so don't practice as much as i would like to. prolly once per week (100 balls with drills from coach) with random chipping in the back yard to keep my eye/hands in Got down to 7 this year but struggle now. think it's due to lack of consistency in the ball strike dept. I enjoy practicing where players like deano craig dont and wont he has heaps of ability (off 3) but would rather fish. Kiwi

#3 Menon

Menon

Tearing up country tracks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4908 posts
  • LocationIn the bar

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Bowdo has talked about 'natural ability' before. Pfffftt I had ALOT of coaching and beat thousands of balls in my early 20's. I believe getting low is more about mental toughness and desire. I have played and lost and had epic battles with many opponents with dodgy swings but can get it round. A pretty swing is not the end and be all. I recently had a playing lesson and it was quite the eye opener, having played with many mates who are pro's a lesson is very different and a fantastic tool for advancing your game, anyone serious about their game should do it.

#4 Menon

Menon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4908 posts
  • LocationIn the bar

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Oh indifferent for me :-)

#5 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Humans are generally lazy. We want things to come easy to us. If i was a single figure player with dreams of making it on tour, i'd be "whatever it takes". But for the majority of us social players, the commitment can float anywhere from hope to until.

#6 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18982 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Bowdo has talked about ‘natural ability’ before. Pfffftt

I had ALOT of coaching and beat thousands of balls in my early 20’s. I believe getting low is more about mental toughness and desire. I have played and lost and had epic battles with many opponents with dodgy swings but can get it round. A pretty swing is not the end and be all.

I recently had a playing lesson and it was quite the eye opener, having played with many mates who are pro’s a lesson is very different and a fantastic tool for advancing your game, anyone serious about their game should do it.

Gone fishing……..

deano i used you as an eg as you can seriously play, half the blokes here wish they have what you have, it wasnt a derogatory remark questioning your work ethic. more some have it and some dont & you do. hope that makes sense Kiwi

#7 Menon

Menon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4908 posts
  • LocationIn the bar

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Kiwi......Mate, no that never crossed my mind lol I was trying to highlight there is a lot of work and coaching required. Not many would pick up golf clubs and play well without a lot of work. I admire the way you work and want to improve, I'm lucky I started young and stumbled upon a great coach who I had for 20 years so the game comes "easily". Just goes to show how the written word gets misinterpreted so much on here :-)

#8 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18982 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Humans are generally lazy. We want things to come easy to us.

If i was a single figure player with dreams of making it on tour, i’d be “whatever it takes”. But for the majority of us social players, the commitment can float anywhere from hope to until.

i am a single figure player and not lazy have no dreams of getting way better as i think the fun side has taken over like the team games side off golf

#9 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18982 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Kiwi…...Mate, no that never crossed my mind lol

I was trying to highlight there is a lot of work and coaching required. Not many would pick up golf clubs and play well without a lot of work. I admire the way you work and want to improve, I’m lucky I started young and stumbled upon a great coach who I had for 20 years so the game comes “easily”.

Just goes to show how the written word gets misinterpreted so much on here :-)

Gone fishing……..

thanks mate i was hoping that was the case

#10 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for the comments. There is no right or wrong but knowing the level can help us understand why it’s taking longer than expected and can help create a positive experience with your coach. Many years ago, I had a very successful man taking lessons from me. Success came easy to him but golf turned out to be his biggest challenge. He jumped from coach to coach seeking something that would make him a better golfer. During a lesson, he would actually stop after every bad shot and say - That didn’t work, give me something else to ‘Try’. This is an example of someone who is stuck in the ‘Try It’ level. The Commitment Ladder was a big eye opener for him. I had students yesterday who complained that he wasn’t improving fast enough. He was also late for his lesson and took 2 cell phone calls during our lesson. There is nothing wrong with this but does give me an indication.

#11 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

So this brings up a further question for the coach. Based on the evaluation process and commitment level, what is the right thing to do to maximize the player's abilities? We have to ask ourselves as coaches whether we are emphasizing and advocating the most effective things for our players to play better.

#12 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

Agree Savvy - I often see students with a high degree of commitment but the coach misses it, this could have been an opportunity to take someone under their wing and have a day together or a playing lesson on the course. Whoever said a private lesson on the range was the best way to learn anyway? The commitment ladder is a great way of finding out where our students fall, we can then alter our time spent with accordingly.

#13 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

Everyone shot through when you mentioned commitment.

#14 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4619 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Depressed - there is no option for depressed!!! Lol i cycle through all of those rungs and to be honest I'm not sure where I fit on the ladder. Practice every week on Chipping, putting, swinging, practice rounds etc. ive kinda lost my way and can't get back. Seen Deano play first hand, best auto golfer I have seen. We were chatting and he walks up hits his ball without even breaking stride and picks up th convo almost mid swing. Ha smergs said that if he hit the ball any faster when teeing up, he might even hit his own hand! Ah but I digress, need a category for strongly committed but no results.

#15 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4110 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Golf is different in that it is a sport that people take up when they are in their late 20s + when they can no longer compete at other sports. They come to the game and try to learn it starting at the driver and some never make it past the long ball. They have no foundation and come equipped with misconceptions and movement habits that teachers have to deal with. The thought process seems to be, if I can learn to hit the long ball the rest of the game will fall into place. These players get their enjoyment from smashing the ball a long way . The rest of their game is mostly frustration and confusion as to why the numbers on the score card are so high. Don't expect much commitment from these players, if the teacher panders to the player and starts teaching the long game first. I am not referring to the professional staff here, but to forum members who have this mind set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users