• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 18Handicaper

18Handicaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

I manage to pull this out at least 3 times a round often resulting in OOB on certain holes ruining any chance of a decent score. Not a hook just straight left sometimes 50m , 100 and 150 down the fairway. I feel as if this occurs when I try for a little more distance but not real sure of the causes and how to fx. Any suggestions from the panel?

#2 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

A pull is an over-rotation and release. Path is left, face position is left. But if it's only a few times per round it suggests a set-up problem vs. swing problem. If the ball is too far forward, and/or you set up with your left foot turned 'out' too far toward the target, either can cause an over-rotation. Strong grip variances can also cause a closed face, but usually result in pull hooks... Also, when you try to hit it farther your left foot may be unstable, rolling or spinning out, which can also cause over-rotation.

#3 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Agree with Sav. Also, remember to maintain your shoulder alignment in set up, its very common that our shoulders start aiming to the left of our target when we look up to sight our target, the path of your club tends to follow the alignment of our shoulders.

#4 18Handicaper

18Handicaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Some vaid comments there, I have always had a strong grip and my left foot does slide open towards target, I was told the foot slide was not a major concern but maye it is something i should look at,

#5 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4176 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

18, Obviously don't try for a little more distance 'till you know how. It happens because you over accelerate and swing the club from before the ball. Wait 'till you get past the ball before letting it go. Like placing a door hinge.

#6 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

If you think about it, the main point of stability at impact starts in the left foot. You're transferring weight as well as pivoting around that point. If that point is unstable, the ball can go anywhere. Much like throwing a baseball, as you transfer onto the forward foot instability will reduce distance and accuracy...This can be the cause of Dart's acceleration explanation as well.

#7 DelMar

DelMar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

A pull is an over-rotation and release. Path is left, face position is left. But if it’s only a few times per round it suggests a set-up problem vs. swing problem.

If the ball is too far forward, and/or you set up with your left foot turned ‘out’ too far toward the target, either can cause an over-rotation. Strong grip variances can also cause a closed face, but usually result in pull hooks…

Also, when you try to hit it farther your left foot may be unstable, rolling or spinning out, which can also cause over-rotation.

Bob Duncan, PGA Life Member
Master Clubfitter DP.60

Click here for my new ebook on Amazon

Sav, what if you can't help your left foot spinning out because the ligaments in your ankle are stuffed from footy? My left groin/hip are also weak through impact and struggle to maintain a stiff left side to brace against. Any suggestions?

#8 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

Ahh -- the old football trick foot, eh? Hope this doesn't sound trite... Play the pull. Or, if it's only happening 2 or 3 times a round, and you don't miss it right, play with secondary miss as a pull. Once taught a guy who hit every shot 15 yards left of his feet. He was a 2 hdcp. Good player -- we did nothing to his swing because he knew where it was going. We figured that was his 'stock' shot and then figured everything else off of that. Treat it as it's what you can do vs. what the book says. Otherwise we'll have to change something else altogether, and without seeing you I'm neither sure of what that would be nor that we would find an effective adjustment.

#9 DelMar

DelMar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Cheers Sav, its nice to hear a pro give that sort of advice rather than trying to bend you toward an ideal position that just feels unnatural or impossible. And to be honest my most comfortable reliable, out of the sweet spot shot is a pull left 1/3 green width; its just mentally tough to aim it out to the right in case you hit it straight. But you do have me thinking about experimenting with setting up out to the right in practice and see how it goes. Cheers, much appreciated.

#10 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

If you can't work against it, work with it... At least if you're forced to aim somewhere you don't like, you can make a more informed decision on what you want to do. Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users