• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pipocai

pipocai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

In a recent Match Play comp round the following happened : Player A's ball is on the green but far away from the hole, Player B's ball is on the fringe but nearer to the hole. Player B then proceeds to chip to "come onto" the green. Player A then tells Player B that he played out of turn and told Player B to replace the ball and replay the shot after Player A has putted. What would be the ruling in this situation?

#2 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2223 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

The ball must be dropped in this case, not placed, but otherwise this is how to proceed according to Rule 10-1c

#3 pipocai

pipocai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Does this ruling apply to stroke play as well? I always thought you have to come on first eventhough you are nearer.

#4 treborflog

treborflog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

As far as I know there is no rule for stroke play. Speed of play, consideration of playing partners line, etc, are taken into account in stroke play. The rule exists in match play because there can be considerable advantage in going first

#5 Libba

Libba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:22 AM

The rule does exist in stroke play (10-2b), but there is no penalty if it is not followed and the ball does not have to be replayed. If, however, the Committee determines that competitors have agreed to play out of turn to give one of them an advantage, they are disqualified.

#6 Goldy

Goldy

LD AND NTP Winner....hehehe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24429 posts
  • LocationGrowling Frog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

I thought this might be a thread about Stink. My mistake.

#7 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

I thought this might be a thread about Stink.

My mistake.

Channel Smoldy.
Coming soon to a quality televisual device near you.

Wondered why you were here, now I know. OB will be next, spelling police and all.

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13155 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Didn't notice any infringements, apart from one missed space.

#9 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2990 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

Didn’t notice any infringements, apart from one missed space.

That would have to be the old "Paris in the the Spring" syndrome at work OB, as your brain rearranged the letters in the thread title. My play is particularly odorous at times btw, but that's another story. In match play I suppose you could always play out of turn on occasion and if you duff it you could tell your opponent that you need to replay the shot. Might just work.

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13155 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

I see it now. More to the point, I see that it's not there now. Whereas before, I saw what wasn't there at all. Does this remind us of Madam's 'nothing' thread?

#11 NoLuck

NoLuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

In a recent Match Play comp round the following happened :

Player A’s ball is on the green but far away from the hole, Player B’s ball is on the fringe but nearer to the hole. Player B then proceeds to chip to “come onto” the green. Player A then tells Player B that he played out of turn and told Player B to replace the ball and replay the shot after Player A has putted.

What would be the ruling in this situation?

Should Player A inform the player that he played out of turn before he actually putted himself? It seems a bit unfair for Player B to play out of turn but then not to be told so by Player A until after he had a putt?

#12 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Should Player A inform the player that he played out of turn before he actually putted himself? It seems a bit unfair for Player B to play out of turn but then not to be told so by Player A until after he had a putt?

Playing Out of Turn If a player plays when his opponent should have played, there is no penalty, but the opponent may immediately require the player to cancel the stroke so made and, in correct order, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played

#13 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

What if player B's shot was particularly bad? Can player B, request to replay as he has just noticed that he has played out of turn? Or does only player A have that option to call back the shot?

#14 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2223 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

Only the opponent call ask for a stroke to be replayed.

#15 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13155 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:13 AM

In a recent Match Play comp round the following happened :

Player A’s ball is on the green but far away from the hole, Player B’s ball is on the fringe but nearer to the hole. Player B then proceeds to chip to “come onto” the green. Player A then tells Player B that he played out of turn and told Player B to replace the ball and replay the shot after Player A has putted.

What would be the ruling in this situation?

I read the situation as being that A told B to replace his ball and wait until A has had his putt, then for B to play. Not as has been suggested that A only said something after A had putted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users