15 replies to this topic

#1 Leroy

Leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

Can a player record his own score and have his marker sign the card at the completion of the round.

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12766 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

No. But it is usual for a player to write his own score on the card he is marking. The marker is appointed by the match committee to record the player's score. Rule 6-6 and definitions.

#3 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4913 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

The Rules only recommend that the marker do the actual recording.

#4 Libba

Libba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

The Rules only recommend that the marker do the actual recording.

I read that rule as meaning it is only recommended that the marker check the score with the player before recording it. As OB says, the definition makes it compulsory doesn't it? "A "marker" is one who is appointed by the Committee to record a competitor's score in stroke play. He may be a fellow-competitor. He is not a referee."

#5 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2212 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

The player can mark his own card, the Rules only need for him to have a marker and to have this marker sign the score.

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12766 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

Ok, RD. But the role of the marker is to record the player's score. If the player records his score on his own card, it was not recorded by the marker. Who would know if that had happened? But that's the same as any cheating - usually no-one would know. Similarly, "appointed by the committee" - I've never seen it happen. A group gets sent out with their cards and they swap them around as they wish. But it all works.

#7 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4913 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

As OB says, the definition makes it compulsory doesn’t it?
Definitions are, well, definitions, not rules. They carry no penalties by themselves. You'll also note 6-6a Recording Scores does not specify a penalty, further backing up the fact that it's not breachable.

#8 Chop Chop

Chop Chop

Massive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6996 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

If players mark their own card and also record their "markers" score they are still performing the role. Just not using the peice of cardboard that is usually used i.e. the other blokes card. They can still check each others scores and that way there is no more (or less) opportunity for cheating : )

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12766 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

It's interesting. The intention of Rule 6-6 is clearly that the marker records the player's score, yet no penalty for failure to do so. The obligation is clearly on the player for correct scores and signatures, and disqualification for any ensuing errors. This seems to be poor wording or an incomplete rule. There should be no options. 2P, in another thread, players have mentioned that they do not record their own scores so they can't be used as evidence against them for any anomaly in scoring.

#10 Chop Chop

Chop Chop

Massive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6996 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

Yep, I've heard off that as well OB. I guess if you are marking your own card you don't have much choice : ) I agree that rule 6-6 seems to indicate that the marker should record the player's scores on the player's card. This sentence seems to indicate this: “On completion of the round the marker must sign the score card and hand it to the competitor.” ..but it doesn’t specifically say what score card the marker is handing over? Anyway, as long as there is a requirement for both players to agree I don’t see too much of an issue if players keep their own card.

#11 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6653 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

2P, in another thread, players have mentioned that they do not record their own scores so they can’t be used as evidence against them for any anomaly in scoring.

Following a disqualification debacle at my local I am selective as to if I record my scores on the card I am marking. I know that my card is correct as I check before I lodge it, I refuse to give some the "false" power to DQ me

#12 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2445 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

2P, in another thread, players have mentioned that they do not record their own scores so they can’t be used as evidence against them for any anomaly in scoring.

Following a disqualification debacle at my local I am selective as to if I record my scores on the card I am marking. I know that my card is correct as I check before I lodge it, I refuse to give some the “false” power to DQ me

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

VISION TEST TEAM PILOT #006

Peg has Bear_Vision

The only score that matters is on the card the marker has signed and you have signed and returned. Who wrote the score on the card and what is written on any other card is irrelevant.

#13 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2212 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

It’s interesting. The intention of Rule 6-6 is clearly that the marker records the player’s score, yet no penalty for failure to do so. The obligation is clearly on the player for correct scores and signatures, and disqualification for any ensuing errors. This seems to be poor wording or an incomplete rule. There should be no options.

You are talking about two different things. The fact of the matter is that the player must have a marker, and that the marker (with the exception in Decision 6-6b/6) must sign the card. There's nothing in the Rules on who writes the scores. It's quite another matter whether to note more than one set of scores or not during the round. The Committee must not require that the markers scores are noted on the players card.

#14 Dulberf

Dulberf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I am almost certain that pro's fill out and record their own score, do they not?

#15 Libba

Libba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

As OB says, the definition makes it compulsory doesn’t it?

Definitions are, well, definitions, not rules. They carry no penalties by themselves.

You’ll also note 6-6a Recording Scores does not specify a penalty, further backing up the fact that it’s not breachable.

Thanks for the clarification Steb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users