2218 replies to this topic

#31 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12374 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Smergs, i think you hit the nail on the head.
When i get frustrated, i start thinking, then it gets sloppy and i get angry.
Hopefully i can get to the course again today just chill and play 9 holes with the missus caddying. Hopefully, it takes the pressure of and it goes well

Cheers Rob... I don't know... I reckon people sometimes over analyse things a lot of the time. Or perhaps I simplify them too much. I've become a much better golfer since I gained perspective with the kids and realise that it is just a game. Sure a game I love to do well at, kick myself when I do wrong, but still just a game. Our livelihoods aren't on the line so if we stuff a hole or so, you get that. That's what our handicaps are for. Allows you room to move. As your handicap goes down, your expectations grow to reflect your ability. Your perspective however shouldn't change.

#32 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Nothing wrong with getting angry out there Rob. It shows passion and that you have an expectation of a decent level of performance. I think the trick is to not dwell on it. As Tiger says, he allows himself 10 seconds of anger to vent then it's back to business. You see a lot of golfers out there that drop their bundle when they're frustrated. If you can vent, take a few deep breathes afterwards, clear the mind and remind yourself of what you're capable of, it's all good. I like to remind myself of another great quote from the ever angry John Lydon...."anger is an energy"

#33 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12374 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

What Koiom says...I like it.

#34 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8739 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

But what if you're the Hulk? Quote: "My secret, is that I'm always angry" I guess the writers were channelling me when they penned that line.

#35 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'll be the first to admit I'm a very angry man on course at times Smergs . I even bought myself one of those Have a Nice Day smiley face ball markers to remind myself to not lose my **** too badly out there!

#36 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12374 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

I’ll be the first to admit I’m a very angry man on course at times Smergs .
I even bought myself one of those Have a Nice Day smiley face ball markers to remind myself to not lose my **** too badly out there!

I do recall the Frog my friend...

#37 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

The only thing i recall from the Frog was being shat on by a bird from 100m up

#38 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10116 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

The only thing i recall from the Frog was being shat on by a bird from 100m up

Isnt that good luck?!!

#39 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

The low 20 something points I had that day would suggest otherwise Rob

#40 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10116 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Nothing wrong with getting angry out there Rob.
It shows passion and that you have an expectation of a decent level of performance.
I think the trick is to not dwell on it.

As Tiger says, he allows himself 10 seconds of anger to vent then it’s back to business.
You see a lot of golfers out there that drop their bundle when they’re frustrated.
If you can vent, take a few deep breathes afterwards, clear the mind and remind yourself of what you’re capable of, it’s all good.

I like to remind myself of another great quote from the ever angry John Lydon….”anger is an energy”

It gets frustrating at times. I used to be able to let it go easily, but as my game improved, my expectations grew, so i am less "cruisey" with a bad shot. Then i hit 2 in a row and i give myself a good stern uppercut

#41 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18723 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Rob, A quick q for you buddy. How many flat lies do you think you're going to have during a round these days? At Keysey it would have been over 90% ....... but at Eastwood, a hell of a lot less I expect from what you've described. If that is the case .... then just drop the money you would have spend on range sessions around to me at my place, for all the good they will do you. Instead ......... get yourself onto Eastwood after work, and throw balls down all over the place, and just play, don't practice, just play. Find a nasty little lie some 10m off one of the greens and hit low chips, mid trajectory chips, high chips at the pin etc. Then go find another green and do the same from a different sort of lie. Spend your "half hour range chipping" session on course instead in real life situations you are likely to face. Then pick one green and throw balls down all over it, and putt them out from all over it and work out the slopes. Then Find another spot on the green (away from the flag) ........ stick a tee in the ground, and that becomes another pin position for you to practice at. You'll still get all you're range work in, and they will do you a hellova lot more good, by simply doing them on course under real life conditions that you know you are going to face. P.S. Unlike GCG ........ I've never signed for a scorecard at the range. P.P.S. One bad shot in a row is always acceptable (if not expected on each hole) ....... two in a row due to being pissed off ...... that is unacceptable. (And we've all done it) Expect to hit a bad one now and then Rob .. just don't compound the problem once you've done it. A deep breath, and a nice steady conservative safe one ........... should always be your next shot's goal after you've gone and stuffed one up.

#42 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10116 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Cheers Gaz. Some bloody good advice there. Definantly not many flat lies. An old coot i played with yesterday said it was actually than Beacy. Not sure but i reckon its bloody close.

#43 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10116 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

Well, went and played the front 9 this arvo. They had just double cut and rolled the greens and the blue plates were out in prep for medal day tomoriw. Had a quick schooner and hit a very nice drive to the corner. 120 left. 9 iron to the right edge. Nice chip up. 2 shitty putts for a 5. 2nd. Topped a 6i into the piss. New ball. Nice draw front edge 2 putt double bogey. Next 3 holes were uneventful. 2 ones and a wipe. Absolutly crushed a driver of 6. 2h front edge. **** chip. 2 putts. 8 is 182m par 3. Was playing 161 today as they are rebuilding back tee. Hit a beautiful 6i to about 14 feet. Tough putt, about 1 ft break. Drained for a 2 a 4. 9 was a 2h of the tee to 185 up the hill to a very protected green. Another 2h to just on the front of the bunker. Not a good spot. Both feet in the bunker, only had 1 finger on the grip of my 58 because of how for above me the ball was. 15 metre chip to an inch tap in par. So finished with 17 points. Was so much happier about everything today and it showed.

#44 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32264 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

Golf's a funny game........play **** one day and come and hit the ball better, the next day. I often think about that, Rob when I've had a bad day. The next day could be the day you break 80; that's why it's so addictive and a bit like gambling. (Not that I have a problem with gambling.)

#45 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22015 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

Sounds like some good shots there, Rob. You can show me how to do those when we head out west to scumshine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users