#1 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4703 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

Well, I have decided to have a bash at starting one of these. Basically just to get my frustrations of my chest, and hopefully, it will make more sense to me when I read it back to myself. Never know, I may even have the odd good round chucked in. I have recently moved from Keysborough to Eastwood. Totally different golf course, and so far in my 3 rounds, it has torn me a new arse! I know it is because Eastwood is forcing me to play a game that I am not used to. Keysey, driver every hole, bar 2. Eastwood, i still dont know, but at least 3 shortish par 4's require hybrid or 3W. This is a strategy Im not used to. Also, the approachs are totally different. Because of the elevation changes, it really changes your approach. Most holes I cant just smash a GW at the pin. Aim at a swale on the side of the green, at bounce it of that to get it somewere near the pin. But Im definantly not complaining. Its a bloody tough but fair course. I just need to adjust, and that is were this thread comes in. Take today for example. Up at 5.30 for a 7.30 lesson with SuperCoach. Focusing on my shortgame. Got some excellent feedback, and and all was great. Left at 8.30, to battle the traffic to get back for a 9.38 tee off in the comp. I rang them to say I was coming, but when I ran through the car park, with my head buzzing about my new found short game brillaince, I found them all on the tee waiting for me. Bummer. So, no warm up, not even a practice swing. driver is to long here for me, so I proceed to top my 3W about 14m down the hill. Nice start. Still scavange a point on the hole. 2nd, skull a beautiful 6i about 7 inches of the ground, bounces of a rake in the bunker, and finishes 95cm from the pin. 1 putt Birdie. 3rd, 2H down the LH side to 95m. get my short game brain on and overcook it the back of the green. 2 putt par. Nice. Thats when It went pear shapped. I had so much stuff floating in my brain, I couldnt concentrate on the tee. driver and 3W terrible all day. Hybrids and mid irons were a thing of beauty. Short game was better than it has been, so happy there. Im slowly getting the speed of the greens, but, again, it will take time. Ended up with a big fat 27 points. Same as yesterday. but I came home and spent an hour in the give up, chipping into a bucket at 10m. its bloody hard. I stopped when I got 3 out of 10 in the bucket, so quite happy there. Am going up for 9 holes tomorrow arvo with the missus as my caddy. Will see how i go. Im going to wind everything down of the tee until I get confident again. Then medal day on Saturday. Yay

#2 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16826 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

Rob, it's difficult to have a lesson and then play...........even if it's a few days/weeks earlier. I still have swing thoughts/moves in my mind when I stand over the ball and my last lesson was months ago. I had a mate who was a member at Eastwood, quite a number of years ago, and I've played there a few times. Keysie and East' are very different. Stick with the work and develop your course plan to suit, over the upcoming rounds. I'm sure you will become as efficient as Gaz is (at Beacy) with a bit of time to learn the intricacies of Eastwood.

#3 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20001 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

rob the super coach has told me not to think about lessons stuff while playing. No experimenting or trying **** during comps must admit Bloody hard going from lesson to 1st T too mate. the range is for practice & the round is for playing. the practice will morph into your game you are in good hands mate learning to play is more important than the scores as posted elsewhere took me 6 months at home to learn where not to hit them strap your self in buddy we are going down..... kiwi

#4 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4703 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Cheers fir the replies guys. Francie, the work will always be there, i just have to learn to put into play. Kiwi, i probly shouldnt have tried the shortgame stuff in a comp round an hour after after a lesson, bit it really worked well by the last few holes. I need to get to the range more. Havent been in about 3 mths

#5 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16826 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

I need to get to the range more. Havent been in about 3 mths

Good plan.

#6 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20001 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

I need to get to the range more. Havent been in about 3 mths
once per week please

#7 hakman

hakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

This topic sums up my last two days. I had a lesson last night. Was hitting some great shots at the end. Then tonight I went out the back to play a few holes (i live on the course at Eynesbury). Well what a shocker, play three holes behind my house and don't think i hit one good shot. Then i remembered whats mentioned above - my coach told me to forget the lesson when I'm playing on the course, don't even bother trying to implement any of it on the course. So here i am two hours later reading your new thread and thinking awesome its not just me. Rob you're right - range more, more range and the a range session or two in between - bring on daylight savings!

#8 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

Try some different ideas for the approach. It sometimes sounds stupid but on fast greens I can(on greens that allow it) get better results from 80m with a 7 ir. Try and get to play with older members. They are sometimes very creative. My old club had fast greens and tight course. They had a masters comp there, senior pros, and the holes I saw them play they usually laid up to chip in bird or close. If not they chipped from 80m in to have it roll on. Just a different idea maybe :/

#9 Goldy

Goldy

Bluto Snr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23334 posts
  • LocationAnimal House

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

My last lesson was 3 weeks before Patto....and we all know how that turned out. It takes time to put the things learnt in the lesson into play. As Muzz said, the coach would say not to take it out onto the track. Not until it becomes part of your swing DNA. I'm only now getting the advantage of it. Give it time Rob. Lessons. New course. Different game plan. Give yourself a break....it's not easy. There you go....advice from a 20+ hacker.....seems like we can all have a crack now!

#10 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4703 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Cheers again chaps. I am trying different clubs, but mainly for trajectory. i.e tight pins or obstacles. I was **** scared of my lob wedge from the fairway before today. Not i reckon its cool, so there may be light yet. Muzz, youre short game range practice. Grass or mats? Friggin hate mats

#11 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4703 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

Damn golflink! Put up my latest round!

#12 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18551 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Queensland

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Welcome to the weird world of golf blogging Rob. Look forward to reading all about the journey.

#13 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20001 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Muzz, youre short game range practice. Grass or mats? Friggin hate mats
at the range (mats) i will only hit say 10 balls to a 75m target 5 each with 52 & 56. i am pretty dialed in for that range the 56 is full and the 52 about 80% no delicate stuff round the putting green say 2m or 3m off, little 60 deg chips pick a landing zone, pop a T in the ground hit the T the ball goes in you will be surprised how many you hole as you drop handicap your short game needs to be ramped up when you play look at the landing zone not the flag at home randomly just before dinner or heading in side i will grab a bucket 3 balls and my 60 put the bucket 12m away hit the bucket on the full 30 minutes worth when at the range i always try and finish with at least 30 minutes putting. The boss has told me "putting is 80% of your game" kiwi

#14 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20001 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

My last lesson was 3 weeks before Patto….and we all know how that turned out.

It takes time to put the things learnt in the lesson into play. As Muzz said, the coach would say not to take it out onto the track. Not until it becomes part of your swing DNA. I’m only now getting the advantage of it.

Give it time Rob. Lessons. New course. Different game plan.

Give yourself a break….it’s not easy.

There you go….advice from a 20+ hacker…..seems like we can all have a crack now!

Channel Smoldy.
Coming soon to a quality televisual device near you.

time for another lesson dude B grade has an opening

#15 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4703 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

Weetix, Used to love Asterix and Obelix. That Geriatrix was a funny dude. Some excellent names in that series. Kiwi, how long does all that range work take you? My back was rooted from chipping for an hour!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users