8 replies to this topic

#1 doctaboo

doctaboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:49 AM

during a match play event a player has one caddy and also a spectator who was by his side all day. he also went on to the greens. the caddie believes that the spectator can offer advice as long as the player does not ask him. on one hole the caddie pulled out the driver and the spectator sais to the player to hit an iron which he did. it was unclear as to what the player and spectator where talking about on most ocasions. if the spectator did offer advice what is the players responsability.

#2 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

If the player has a caddie he's not allowed to have anyone else giving him advice. The player is correct that he can't be penalised for recieving advice he hasn't asked for (e.g. a guy in the crowd shouting "hit a 5-iron), but if it continues the player should do his best to stop it. This case is different. It certainly seems to me that the player is trying to circumvent the Rules by bringing the friend with him and by taking him onto the putting green as well. He doesn't ask this friend but he doesn't stop the advice from coming. The player is breaching Rule 8-1 on advice, and he is doing in a manner that in my opinion could warrant a disqualification under Rule 33-7. It could also be said to a breach of Rule 6-4 on caddies, but this is a deliberate act during the entire round, and 4 penalty strokes for that would be wrong IMO

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12776 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

Yeah ! DQ the bastard !

#4 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

DQ, yes - the player can have one caddie. I don't like that some players can't make a choice and try to sneak under the Rules to get an advantage :-(

#5 lightning

lightning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

If the player has a caddie he’s not allowed to have anyone else giving him advice.
The player is correct that he can’t be penalised for recieving advice he hasn’t asked for (e.g. a guy in the crowd shouting “hit a 5-iron), but if it continues the player should do his best to stop it.

This case is different.
It certainly seems to me that the player is trying to circumvent the Rules by bringing the friend with him and by taking him onto the putting green as well. He doesn’t ask this friend but he doesn’t stop the advice from coming.
The player is breaching Rule 8-1 on advice, and he is doing in a manner that in my opinion could warrant a disqualification under Rule 33-7.

It could also be said to a breach of Rule 6-4 on caddies, but this is a deliberate act during the entire round, and 4 penalty strokes for that would be wrong IMO

Hit it where they mow

Out of interest, can you change caddies during a round?

#6 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Yes caddies may be changed during a round.

#7 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4913 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Decision 6-4/7, initially requested by Allenby's manager.

#8 lovemizuno

lovemizuno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

Great!

#9 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip