4 replies to this topic

#1 trysil

trysil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

I am familiar with Par competitions and the scoring for that form. Can someone explain how a gross score for bogey competition, and a net score in handicap bogey competition would be recorded? Am I right in thinking that in a gross comp, everyone is against the bogey (par plus1) score for the hole? In a handicap bogey comp, if I receive 12 handicap strokes, how do I score for holes where I receive a stroke, holes with no stroke and overall for the round? Appreciate replies in advance. Cheers Trysil

#2 RulesGeek

RulesGeek

Former Castle Dweller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1137 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

trysil, Bogey is, in essence, the same format as Par - the only difference being that the fixed score that the player is competing against is the 'bogey score' rather than the par for the hole. Attached is the score card from Elie golf club which shows a separate Bogey score for each hole. Note that 'bogey' in this context is not, necessarily, the same as 'par + 1'. In all of the forms of stroke play covered by Rule 32, the score card should contain the gross number of strokes for the hole (the player is free to omit scores for holes at which he would 'lose the hole' (for par or bogey) or for which he would not earn any points (Stableford)). Elie Bogey Card

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1275 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the interesting scorecard. Bogey was explained to me a few years ago. I have not heard of it being played in Australia. I wonder about the point of this form of scoring. From the card it seems that three harder holes are attached with an xtra stroke for playing bogey. As if the holes qualify by distance as a certain par but by virtue of other things are much more diffucult than a hole of the typical length. If I recall one variation of establishing the bogey was to have the Captain play on a particular day and his score was the bogey score for that day. All competitors were thus playing against the Captain. A British thing perhaps not done anymore. I may well be wrong.

#4 RulesGeek

RulesGeek

Former Castle Dweller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1137 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

From the 1897-1908 USGA Rules of Golf (quote taken from the 1908 book - no thorough check done for variation in the prior books): " 'Col. Bogey' is an imaginary opponent, against whose arbitrary score each competitor plays by holes; otherwise bogey competitions are governed by the Special Rules for Stroke Competitions, except ..." ----------- I don't know how arbitrary the Colonel's scores were i.e., did the Committee draw "his" scores out of a hat? I've only played 'bogey' once at Gullane. My friend and colleague (same person) and I played the 3 courses at Gullane using, once each, the 3 forms of play contained in Rule 28.

#5 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

This may be of interest http://www.scottishg...t/bogey_par.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users