5 replies to this topic

#1 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2386 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

I have just seen this on another board. "Well I got a call from the USGA about this one with an interesting response. 1. Fellow Competitor refers to anyone in the field for a stroke play event (not just your group)"

#2 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2141 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

Having the USGA calling you with a message contrary to what's said in the Rule Book ??? That's new.. :-O (From the definition of "competitor": "...A “competitor’’ is a player in a stroke-play competition. A “fellow-competitor’’ is any person with whom the competitor plays.)

#3 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4897 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

I have just seen this on another board.
I saw that. Never trust a paraphrase.

#4 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2386 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

The USGA has now confirmed that 'a “fellow-competitor” is any person with whom the competitor plays (i.e. they are in the same group). Thus, the definition has not changed.'

#5 RulesGeek

RulesGeek

Former Castle Dweller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1108 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

AAA, I don't know any of the particulars of this case but... I have seen 'the USGA' used as a label for people who are USGA Committee members (i.e., volunteers) -- some of those people are very good with the rules and some of them are horrible. Also, back when I could be labeled, 'the USGA', a national (U.S.) golf magazine misused a quote from me in an article that had the facts wrong (an article about the Stewart Cink bunker case from 2008) despite me clarifying the facts repeatedly with the original writer (who ulitimately passed the quote along to someone else to misuse). As Steb suggested, remain skeptical.

#6 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2386 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

RG I was. That is why I contacted the USGA myself and confirmed the correct interpretation. The original poster has now had confirmation that the original advice to him was wrong. My contact was with a Rules Associate. I assume his was also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users