20 replies to this topic

#1 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

Gday all, I was playing my regular comp last week, and as I am wont to do, sprayed my drive such that it finished in a bunker to an adjacent hole. I get over the mound only to find my ball nowhere to be seen, and a group just up on the green. They see me looking and one of them races back and says, oops that was your ball in the bunker, and drops it back in there. It finishes in a fresh footprint, where he has clearly not raked after his shot. I ask him if that was exactly where it was, and he swears blind it was. Nevemind that a footprint wouldn't be there after the shot he played. I was lucky to have still found the green from there, but what were my options in this case?

#2 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

The ball moved by an outside agency and must be replaced. See Rule 18-1. Replacing is covered by Rule 20-3. The matters of the spot to replace and the original lie are the issue. Agree that the guy who moved it is not really co-operative. If you are able to get his co-operation then you replace the ball on the correct spot and if the lie had been altered recreate the lie. See 20-3a and 20-3b. In this case you can't know the exact spot you must drop the ball as nearly as possible to where it lay. 20-3c. The latter situation is tough luck. You are not able to rake the bunker where you are about to drop in my opinion. Clearly you needed co-operation. You might have got that if the guy knew the consequences for you of his non co-operation.

#3 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2447 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:32 AM

Note that the ball must be dropped by you not the other guy.

#4 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback. So you have to drop the ball, even though that will likely result in a plugged lie? A lot of our members seem to not only not know the rules (that I can forigve) but have no appreciation for the comp game. Raking a bunker after your shot, or heaven forbid checking you have the right ball is just common sense. We had another member wander on to the 18th green while we were putting just to check out how sandy the grens were before he teed off on the first. Put my partner off his putt having this guy walking around.

#5 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5322 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hey snap. Was this at sunshine?

#6 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Yeah mate. Sprayed right off 11 into the bunker 40 yards short of the first green. Not living up to my name on that hole.

#7 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5322 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yeah. Know the hole. Glad you didn't snap hook off that tee as you'd be snorkeling for your ball. I'm a member there as well mate. Should hook up for a round. Came second yesterday with 43 pts. SECOND!!! Hot back 9 with 27pts.

#8 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Whether taking relief or an event like the above, the rule of 'dropping' a ball in a bunker is one of the worst in golf in my opinion. Plugs every time - great relief. it should be looked at

#9 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

Yep lets do it GG. I'll be at the OOM if we dont meet up before that. I guess on the soft greens there will be a couple of low scores, but I got screwed on Saturday by a couple doing an unexpected shane warne direction change due to a pile of sand. Still, pretty unlucky not to get the chocolates with 43.

#10 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5322 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

Sweet. Pretty sure we can arrange a round between now and OOM. Did you report the guy to the pro shop?

#11 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

Yeah i like to play early on the weekends, except for this weekend as I am out of town. So feel free to book me a slot. We saw the captain in the bar afterwards and mentioned it as well as our visitor on the 18th green. Probably helped me being in the footprint though as it was harder to catch the ball fat, and with around 60m to the green, I needed to get it clean. Dont ask me to repeat the shot though.

#12 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2447 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

Whether taking relief or an event like the above, the rule of ‘dropping’ a ball in a bunker is one of the worst in golf in my opinion. Plugs every time – great relief.

it should be looked at

David Rickman, The R&A’s Director of Rules and Equipment Standards I often use the old ‘painting the Forth Railway Bridge’ analogy when asked to describe the process involved in reviewing the Rules of Golf. From the moment we launched the last edition of the Rules in October 2008, work began on the new Rules of Golf for 2012-15. The first task is to return to any deferred items and the set of perennial Rules questions that are always worthy of re-examination. For example, the rules governing flooded bunkers (if you are unable to drop the ball in a dry part of the hazard and decide that the shallowest part, not nearer the hole, is an unattractive option, a one-stroke penalty drop out of the bunker must be taken) have been looked at time and again. It is a rule that I appreciate many feel is unfair, however, we are yet to find a better answer than the rules we have at present. Do you allow a player to drop in the nearest alternative bunker, which could be hundreds of yards away? A free drop seems overly generous and patently unfair on fellow-competitor or an opponent who has skilfully avoided the hazard.

#13 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4913 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

In addition, water in a bunker will stop a ball from plugging from great height, plus you get a clublength space to drop within to choose your best angle. Plus you get to clean your ball, handy on wet days. In the long run, I don't think it's too unfair.

#14 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

different to here where you have a dry bunker aqnd you are forced to take a worse lie than the way the ball was oringally sitting.

#15 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

I don't understand - if the original lie was known, the ball could have been placed. Did you know the original lie?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users