Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlets Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlets Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

illegal clubs

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12074 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

Friend of a friend was DQ for using an illegal club in a comp. The club was legal when purchased but was subsequently banned.With all the clubs on the market how are we supposed to know when one is moved to the banned list and why would a club suddenly be banned after being OK for several years? Clubs like the belly putter make the forum rounds so we all know how it is going.

#2 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

What type of club was it tolmij?

#3 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12074 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

It was a driver but am not sure of the details, I can try to find out but don't hold much hope. I only know what he told me which was sketchy. My main concern was the process, I may want to start comp again shortly and my clubs were second hand 5 years ago.

#4 Libba

Libba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

You can check whether or not your driver is conforming or not on the R and A website. http://www.randa.org...ng-Drivers.aspx

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10757 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

Very few people would be aware that any particular club is illegal, unless you're competing at state level or similar. Don't worry about it.

#6 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12074 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Just as an aside, does anyone know what suddenly makes a club illegal.

#7 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

There is/was no suddenly as far as I know. The rules got changed for Drivers in the mid 2000s, to limit the amount of "spring" off the face, by applying limits to COR I think. The changes were flagged well before they came into effect from memory. This made some existing drivers illegal. Most of the manufacturers offered to trade the illegals for a new legal model at the time. But there are still plenty of illegals out there, despite plenty of info and publicity about the changes at the time.

#8 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

A bit of googling indicates that the USGA changed the rules for max. Driver COR (0.83) in about 2002. The R & A didn't change their rules till 2008 I gather. This allowed a Max. COR of up to 0.89 in some markets, until the R & A came in line with the USGA. http://www.purelygol...nnouncement.htm

#9 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12074 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Thanks Dave, I cannot see the logic behind limiting COR and then ramping up ball design and shaft technology. As I found on google COR only affects drivers to any extent yet ball and shaft design affects all clubs. If they reason was to bring back technology to start relying on talent the surely it should be limited on all aspects of the equipment.

#10 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

You'd have to wonder just who dobbed your friend in about the illegal club.Unless it was some sort of super long shafted escapee from the Long Drive events I'm amazed that the casual observer would know (or care) a damn.

#11 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

There are also limits on Golf Ball performance, and they have been the same since the 90s; "The current regulations mandated by the R&A and the USGA state that diameter of the golf ball cannot be any smaller than 1.680 inches (42.67 mm). The maximum velocity of the ball may not exceed 250 feet per second (274 km/h) under test conditions and the weight of the ball may not exceed 1.620 ounces (45.93 g)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_ball I am not aware of any specific limits on shafts other than max. club length of 48", ex putters.

#12 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4858 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

A volume limit of 470cc came in a few rule books ago. As many drivers have their volume written on them, it is likely this is what got him DQ'd.

#13 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12074 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

You’d have to wonder just who dobbed your friend in about the illegal club.Unless it was some sort of super long shafted escapee from the Long Drive events I’m amazed that the casual observer would know (or care) a damn.

His playing opponent aparently noticed and reported it after the match, he knew because he had one himself and had replaced it.

#14 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12074 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

There are also limits on Golf Ball performance, and they have been the same since the 90s;

“The current regulations mandated by the R&A and the USGA state that diameter of the golf ball cannot be any smaller than 1.680 inches (42.67 mm). The maximum velocity of the ball may not exceed 250 feet per second (274 km/h) under test conditions and the weight of the ball may not exceed 1.620 ounces (45.93 g).”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...

I am not aware of any specific limits on shafts other than max. club length of 48”, ex putters.

Golf balls would not be the same problem I would have thought as they tend to be changed at regular intervals and illegal balls would probably not be on sale. Unless you are like me and try to get 6 months out of a ball. Don't hit it far and you don't lose them :)

#15 Brianwh

Brianwh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:55 AM

There is also an issue with square grooves on clubs. At this point in time, they are illegal for pros but amateurs (who for the most part would get little or no advantage from them) can still use them for some years yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users