• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sportingmike

Sportingmike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

A player marks his ball on the green, when he puts his ball on the green again he palces the ball about 1,5cm in front of his marker and pulls the ball back towards the marker and then removes hais marker, his opponent claims that he got an advantage by checking his line of putt. Is this method of placing the ball in breach og the rules????

#2 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2445 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

No. He is perfectly entitled to line his ball up by moving it around. Providing of course that it is eventually on the correct spot

#3 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2212 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:32 AM

Only if the player by doing this could press something annoying like a tuft of grass down it would be a breach of the Rules. Otherwise as already said, no problem. ....and welcome to the forum :-)

#4 Sportingmike

Sportingmike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

Thank you :-)

#5 Sportingmike

Sportingmike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

Is there anywhere in the decisions book that I can find this in writing, there is an ongoing discussion in my club and they would like to see it in black & white before they believe it?

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12758 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

The rule book mostly states what you must not do, or, if X happens, your options are A B or C. It says very little about how you must do things. Exceptions are few, such as the ball must be fairly struck with the head of the club, you must drop from shoulder height at arms length. As far as I'm aware, all it says about placing a ball is that if the ball is to be replaced, its position is to be marked. On the putting green you must place, not drop. There are no specifications as to how placing is to be done. My response to those in your club who doubt this would be to get them to show you the rule where it says the placing technique described fails to conform with the rules.

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12758 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

Similarly with putting, there is no requirement to use a particular style of stroke or grip. All it says is that you may not stand astride your line of putt (and there's even an exception that may allow you to do that).

#8 RulesGeek

RulesGeek

Former Castle Dweller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1127 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Is there anywhere in the decisions book that I can find this in writing, there is an ongoing discussion in my club and they would like to see it in black & white before they believe it?

Decision 16-1d/3 might help.

#9 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2212 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

And Decision 16-1a/17 :-)

#10 RulesGeek

RulesGeek