29 replies to this topic

#1 Chilled

Chilled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Playing Kooey this coming Sunday and would appreciate any specific tips you could provide on the course. First time playing the course. And please don't tell me to hit straight :p Just looking for specific tips in terms of areas to keep well away from, or areas to make certain to hit, lay up shots rather than attacking shots (or vice versa). Particular hole and greens advice is welcome. Ta.

#2 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

hit it down the middle and go for middle of the greens. Thats really all there is to Kooyonga. Perhaps sligtly unfair but the old girl isnt what she used to be . Some really silly crap out the back that is new, not sure what they will do with that. Alas RA isnt much better these days, and Glenelg is very strange. Grange is the pick at the moment

#3 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

The 4th is up a steep hill that crests and appears to bend left, but the optium drive is further right than you think. There seems little benefit in taking any more than you need off the tee to just get over the hill, because all balls that make the crest kick down the other side. If you go too far left, you are in crap and not with the ideal line to the green. So aim up the right. It's a good hole, but deceptive to first timers. The new 18th is a perfect example of over bunkering and killing what could be a great short 4. Its creation is not that black and white though because it's very hard to have a driveable short 4 as the 18th, with blokes potentially spraying it near the clubhouse and 1st tee, but what they built is a step back from the old foundations of this once great course. Enjoy the round.

#4 Timinsa

Timinsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3293 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

Don't hit me. I'm off at about 7:30.

#5 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2243 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

hit it down the middle and go for middle of the greens.

Thats really all there is to Kooyonga. Perhaps sligtly unfair but the old girl isnt what she used to be . Some really silly crap out the back that is new, not sure what they will do with that.

Alas RA isnt much better these days, and Glenelg is very strange. Grange is the pick at the moment

Wow, you are feeling very negative. Kooyonga I can agree upon to a point, they need to work out what they want to be, have a masterplan from 1 architect and stick to it. RA about the same as Kooyonga in regard to masterplan, go with Claytons work on 17 or return to course pre Australian Open Thomson modifications. Glenelg very strange, it is certainly polarising because it is different but you might need to elaborate on what "very strange" exactly means.

#6 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

Glenelg was always a little strange. Sand belt on the western side and then up over the hill into ponds and lakes Now they have made that difference even larger - lots of strange pot bunkers, ponds, water hazards. Not quite sure what is trying to be - sandbelt, links or american parkland. Or a bit of all three

#7 Timinsa

Timinsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3293 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

I had a hit at kooey this arvo. They've cored the greens a week or two ago & they're not bad but still need a fortnight of love. The tee boxes have been done in the last day or so. Fairways are great as always but 9 is out of play while the green is being re worked. Look out for the magpies swooping on the 5th & 6th. Added new meaning to keep your head down.

#8 Chilled

Chilled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks all, good tips, jotting them down! Timinsa, might catch you down there, although we're off a bit later at 10:19. I'll try not to hit you with any stray tee shots as you come home, but can't make any solid guarantees. Pity about the coring but that doesn't worry me too much, just looking to get out and enjoy a new course.

#9 Chilled

Chilled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Well I loved the course and have made inquiries re membership. I don't have a proposer and seconder but that's not a problem apparently. Anyways, had a great day at 32 points. Happy considering I had no idea of the course really other than studying the layout from the website. Started off with two pars so I was off to a flyer.....third par 3 I screwed up strangely enough. Fourth was a great hole and probably my favourite....loved coming back down into the bunker clad tiny green from about 150-160 out off the tier. I did particularly like the pars three's around the course....they were actually really interesting. The 200m par 3 was challenge so I was happy hit the green off the tee and make par. 17th was interesting with my second shot landing to the right of the green and almost into the trees......which led me to a chip over the water and subsequently only catching the front lip and the ball rolling back into the water :( Recovered with a point though. 18th doesn't seem to be liked by many but I thought it was an easier hole coming in to the end of the day. Having said that though I hit the left bunker with a 3 wood, only to hit the left side green bunker on my second shot....grrrr. I was a bit surprised in that it was not as tight as some people made it out to be....there were plenty of quite open fairways off the tee. The most surprising aspect of the whole day was that I couldn't believe how much of a country feel it had! Nestled in absolute suburbia and you would think you were in the middle of the country side (apart from the green on the 16th with the net). Just absolutely outstanding though, such a little stretch of paradise. Also quite amazed that it was quite hilly in parts. The fairways are better than hitting off carpet, it was just that impressive. The layout of the course was challenging but good rewards for average straight hitting. I did like the layout quite a lot. If I had to choose between Royal and Kooey I would definitely have to go Kooey....I just liked the layout and the holes were more interesting to me. Great day out and I would recommend the course to anyone. And planning a trip to merry old england next year to see the British Open and hoping to play a round at St Andrews while I'm there. A close relative of mine is the pro at a Malvern course so hoping to hook up with him for game while I'm over there. Exciting times ahead!

#10 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

"The 17th was interesting" Interesting is one description - Could you get over the hill with your drive so that you could see the pond next to the green?

#11 Chilled

Chilled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

“The 17th was interesting”

Interesting is one description –
Could you get over the hill with your drive so that you could see the pond next to the green?

Was a litle deceptive distance wise, I thought the hill was further away but was actually quite reachable. I pushed my drive to the last bit of fairway on the right, below the hill and next to second cut. I had a quick run up the hill to look where the flag was, never spotted the pond. Walking up to where my second shot landed I discovered the pond :D And with a silly shot managed to roll it back in.

#12 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

what a fantastic hole. There's nothing quite like hidden water hazards.

#13 Chilled

Chilled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

Doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the 18th but I thought it was fine, bit of an easier hole but why not?

#14 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

Its only hidden the first time

#15 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

Not really Northerner. You have to climb the hill everytime to get a line so you can determine the edge of the lake compared to where you are in the fairway. It's a dog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users