Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

Starting again, but with a plan!

• Please log in to reply
382 replies to this topic

#1 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hi, I see there are a few threads where people are on a mission and document what they are up to, so here I go.... A few days ago I finally had a flash of insight and understood what HK and TGM were about at the big picture level. TheDart and Loren were kind enough to confirm that I had got this about right. Then I have been reading some interesting threads about lessons, experience of lessons, how to learn the game and so on. I am going to start again with my practice and study, and here is the plan, I will post my achievements and failures and if anyone wants to chip in with any helpful comments, thank you in anticipation. What is the plan? I am going to eliminate acc 2 and acc 3, for a while, by setting up at impact fix with the left wrist fully uncocked and keeping the cocking action out of the swing. That will leave me free to concentrate on moving the primary lever whilst achieving TGM's 2.0 Essentials and Imperatives, or at least most of them. This will only give me a short swing at less than full power, but I see no reason why I cannot get a good pivot and good compression using this limited action. Plus I can hit as hard as I am able to with acc 1. I want to get the hitting action sorted out this way, because this is a change that I started a few months ago and I am hoping that keeping acc 2 and 3 out of the swing will allow me to isolate and work on this change. I also want to make sure my right shoulder is not coming OTT, which is something that might be a problem for me, especially if I am trying to hit the ball hard. I think this might also isolate a clubhead throwaway problem causing OTT, since without acc 2 and acc 3, there is nothing to throw away apart from over acceleration of acc 1 too soon in the downswing. Then, in stages, I want to start adding in acc 3 then acc 2, but each time switching back to the primary only action if I start to lose something important. My theory is that I really do need Educated Hands and acc 2 and acc 3 working well, but I will never get there if the hands are compensating for any flaws that are more fundamental in the primary lever action. So, Prinary lever first, Secondary lever second! Hey, it's a plan! What can possibly go wrong?

#2 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4618 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Whoosh! Most of it went over my head but good luck mate. How are you looking to gauge success? Will you be conscripting the aid of a coach or self assessment and training?

#3 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Ghetto, thanks. I am looking for much better quality ball striking as my success. My current ball striking is awful. I know the difference, because I play with decent players and also some of the Devon pros in pro ams. I have had lots of lessons and have moved on to this, because none of my local pros (UK) speak TGM. But if I feel I have made any progress, I will take some video shots and buy a lesson / feedback from one of the pro's on the forum.

#4 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4618 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Lol you are in the uk? Let me guess, Devon? I suppose better impact is a qualitative measure of progress, but how are you going to quantify improvement? Number GIRs?

#5 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

No secrets about location or nationality on this forum, full disclosure, Ghetto! Yes, I think GIR is a good way to do this. Actually, I break down the holes into two groups at my course. There are 12 that I can reach without difficulty and 6 that I struggle to reach in most conditions. With my current ball striking, I might get 6-7 out of the 12 and maybe one out of the 6. So around 7-8 GIR per round is a goodish number, I've done better but not often, and do worse when I am messed up with my swing. So, what I want is to be able to reach the 6 and get maybe 3 out of those 6 regularly, plus get the 6-7 out of 12 up a bit. If I can get to 12 GIR occasionally and get my OK rounds up to 10 or more, then I will change my name from Devonhacker to DevonGolfer, and spend my time on the short game.

#6 Menon

Menon

Tearing up country tracks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4900 posts
  • LocationIn the bar

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Gawd, makes my intro look yoboish.......... sounds like a plan, good luck with the acc1, 2 and 3 thing, not sure what that is but sounds interesting.

#7 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4618 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

You are a yobbo Deano, even the iPhone picked on the spelling for yobbo. Not sure if they have even heard of that term over in royal Devon! Devon - I have recently begun tracking my stats and as per usual GIR, fwys hit etc as well. Have also created a little spreadsheet to help me keep track of how many shots a round that I flush or flubber. I broke them down into groups being: Driver and 3wd. 2&4 hybrid 5&6 irons 7-pw Wedges full swing and pitches Chips Putts. Under each grouping I have 2 columns. Good and bad shots. That way I start to get an idea on where I am underperforming and need more work on.

#8 Stinkler

Stinkler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Gawd, makes my intro look yoboish….......

sounds like a plan, good luck with the acc1, 2 and 3 thing, not sure what that is but sounds interesting.

You are a yobbo, so honesty came through.

#9 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationRobe South Australia

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Best wishes with the results from the plan Devon. That is the way to start off, set down your ideas. They are fluid though not set in stone and if the GIR do not improve then you have a benchmark to make adjustments from.

#10 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4110 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Devon You are going down a path different to what I did when I revamped my swing. I didn't hardly play at all during the retool over an 18 month period. My focus was to make the swing mechanical, especially the backswing and transition as a first step. Then I concentrated on the area through impact and follow through for ball control. I didn't want the distraction of learning a swing technique on the course and returning to old habits. As mentioned before in other threads, my source for swing fundamentals was Abe Mitchell's books.

#11 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18982 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:16 AM

Whoosh!
Most of it went over my head.

TGM goes over most heads GG. good luck Devon

#12 Menon

Menon

Tearing up country tracks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4900 posts
  • LocationIn the bar

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

You are a yobbo Deano, even the iPhone picked on the spelling for yobbo. Not sure if they have even heard of that term over in royal Devon!

Oi......what for you mean ? me a yob....eeerr umm........continue on.

#13 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Thanks to everyone who has posted replies so far. 1st chance to practice the master plan, and play 18, today. Happy days! Found the OTT / right shoulder fix in TGM: I had my spine upright, and it needs to tilt to the right (2-H if anyone wants to see the reference). Loren had replied to my post about speed or compression, and the answer is compression. He also gave me some tips on feeling lag. Flat Left Wrist is the key, I got so focussed on lag a couple of times, I forgot FLW and smashed one way right and another snapped low left. I also found that (I am hitting) starting down slow gives much better results. The TGM guys can explain this one. I am playing with a much stonger grip and still hitting straight now I have the right shoulder not coming OTT. I was not scoring today, but I had 8 GIR, which is a good day for me. I think I have something to practice now, so I will stick with this and have a couple more practice sessions and rounds before I change anything else.

#14 4for4

4for4

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

what course are you on in Devon?

#15 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

Well, I have changed my name from Devonhacker to Devongolfer. I bought a copy of TGM 9 months ago, but was really struggling to understand it. I then bought Pete Croker / Dart's videos that explain TGM, and that got me moving forward, and then I kept asking questions on the forum. I was truly a hacker, because I had all the key faults: OTT, throwaway, no lag and so forth, but I just got back from 18 holes and now I am hitting the ball properly. I am no tour player now or likely to be in the future, but the difference for me is fantastic. I'll post the key lessons on Ask the TGM guys, in case that will help anyone else, since very few people read these threads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users