OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22527 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

Keep in mind that the two main reasons for seeking simpler rules are:

1. The current rules seem to be too complicated for many to understand, so they don't bother to try and comprehend more than a few of the more commonly encountered rules.

2. There's a hue and cry about golf taking too long to play in our modern, time poor society and the lack of attention to that aspect is sending golf clubs broke.

So they say.

The options are to either address these concerns by changing golf as we know it to a newer, faster, simpler form of golf. Or to hell with it all, let's just go on exactly as we have done for the last century and if it all comes crashing down, so be it.

This thread looks at possible changes which would change some of the nature of golf. Like 20/20 cricket did from test matches.

The 2019 proposed rule changes is just a minor tweak to hopefully answer some critics who are screaming for change and hold them off for a few more years.

#602 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:27 PM

Personally I'd rather be remembered for playing Test cricket for my country than your T20 alternative !

Taking the time to understand how to apply the rules in any given situation by making them easier to find and follow would be my suggestion to the rule changers.

Who is crying out about the time that it takes to play a round of golf ?

Golf clubs are going downhill because of their business decisions, not a " time poor society and the lack of attention to that aspect is sending them broke " WASC.

Golf is a very large worldwide, complex industry from A to Z and if you think that by changing afew rules to suit the average common punter this will fix the problems, then you are really on the wrong track.

Currently we are in a cycle that has been setup to cater/pamper to the average golfer ( 55 + years old with a 20 + handicap ) Rather than improve their whole golf game and experience, we seem to be encouraging them to get a bigger reward from a lesser input and outlay.

Enjoy the whole game for its complexities and please STOP trying to recreate the wheel !

Jon...

• Kiwi, 2Putts, Monty85 and 1 other like this

#603 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:46 PM

Why is the penalty for a lost ball the same as the OOB then?

If you can't find it on the course, maybe it is not on the course.

#604 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4632 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:51 AM

If you can't find it on the course, maybe it is not on the course.

And maybe I hit it so hard it split the fabric of time and space and is stuck in another dimension.
  • Weetbix, Goldy and Short Putt Man like this

#605 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Or a parallel universe where the greens are like billiard tables and the fairways like velvet.

• pom likes this

#606 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Or a parallel universe where the greens are like billiard tables and the fairways like velvet.

Where greenkeepers outnumber the members, and all members are 80+ and live far, far away from the course...and only wear their jackets at special occasions...

• Short Putt Man likes this

#607 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

Personally I'd rather be remembered for playing Test cricket for my country than your T20 alternative !

Taking the time to understand how to apply the rules in any given situation by making them easier to find and follow would be my suggestion to the rule changers.

Golf clubs are going downhill because of their business decisions, not a " time poor society and the lack of attention to that aspect is sending them broke " WASC.

Golf is a very large worldwide, complex industry from A to Z and if you think that by changing afew rules to suit the average common punter this will fix the problems, then you are really on the wrong track.
Currently we are in a cycle that has been setup to cater/pamper to the average golfer ( 55 + years old with a 20 + handicap ) Rather than improve their whole golf game and experience, we seem to be encouraging them to get a bigger reward from a lesser input and outlay.

Enjoy the whole game for its complexities and please STOP trying to recreate the wheel !

Jon...

I agree with a lot of this. Some I don't really understand the point being made. Overall the game is in a good state especially in North America. I like the fact that the RULES are being modernised and simpler language is being used.
Most players still won't make an effort to have a go at learning the Rules. The Rules won't be dead easy because the whole thing is rather complex.
I appreciate your last sentence. Put another way stop whinging have a go and enjoy playing a great game.
  • pom likes this

#608 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22527 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

Jon...

I was just echoing what is frequently stated in golf publications about our time poor society.

When I play golf, most of the day is set aside for that purpose.  Although I much prefer a three hour round to a five hour one. Hence some of my suggestions are to minimise delays.  Some people get overly frustrated with delays and it affects their game.  Some rounds are quick and some are slow, that's golf.

I agree that improving the whole golf game experience will help the entire industry.  Your vocation is to help players get a bigger reward for their efforts and you wouldn't begrudge them making an outlay.

Yes, the game is very complex, but the rules shouldn't make that any worse than it need be. When I first delved into the rules, I found the rule book very difficult to find what I wanted - the index is appalling. The more one becomes familiar with the book, the easier it is to find what you're looking for.  But it should be dead easy for even the casual user. The more familiar one becomes, the more difficult it is to see the shortcomings.

This was highlighted to me just this week when I received a rules newsletter from Golf Vic.  The first couple of 'closed book' questions were:

Here's a selection of rule numbers, what are the heading titles? and

Here's a list of rules topics, what are the rule and para numbers?

These are completely irrelevant to someone actually playing golf. They need to know what they may or may not do.  Being a walking 'table of contents' is only useful when you want to have an argument with somebody.  It's the actual contents that need to be known, not what the layout of some book is.

Sometimes you can design a better wheel, or mousetrap.

#609 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22527 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

I agree with a lot of this. Some I don't really understand the point being made. Overall the game is in a good state especially in North America. I like the fact that the RULES are being modernised and simpler language is being used.1
Most players still won't make an effort to have a go at learning the Rules.2 The Rules won't be dead easy because the whole thing is rather complex.3
I appreciate your last sentence. Put another way stop whinging have a go and enjoy playing a great game.4

1. Simpler language can lead to doubt as to the meaning.  I'd prefer to see 'streamlining' where some tediousness is dropped.
  2. Because the rules are full of complexities which add to confusion.
  3. I agree that some complexity is required, but it has all got out of hand in trying to cover every possible situation.
  4. This is the place to have a whinge, not the golf course. Yes, it's a great game, can it be made better? Perhaps.

#610 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

1. Simpler language can lead to doubt as to the meaning.  I'd prefer to see 'streamlining' where some tediousness is dropped.
  2. Because the rules are full of complexities which add to confusion.
  3. I agree that some complexity is required, but it has all got out of hand in trying to cover every possible situation.
  4. This is the place to have a whinge, not the golf course. Yes, it's a great game, can it be made better? Perhaps.

Forums are the best place for a whinge, I agree. There will be disagreement, that's normal. Each of us is seeing things from an individual perspective based on experiences and other things. People rarely change opinions unless presented with new facts. Opinions and statements not backed by good facts do not usually change another's contrary opinion.

Here is a statement OPINION. 

Playing golf has become more "complex" over many decades, particularly in the last  50 years. Available technology has had a huge impact.  The Ruling Bodies have struggled with that and sometimes failed. The ongoing controversy about how far a ball can fly when well struck is the best example of failure to manage technology, I think. The handling of DMD's is another of unimpressive effort from the Ruling Bodies.

Complexity has led to more Rules.

Regarding trying to cover every situation...The Rule Book needs to cover situations that are regularly and even occasionally encountered by players of varying skills on a wide variety of golf courses.

Without that players would be scratching their heads about what to do in real life situations regularly encountered. The rarer situations can be consigned to the Decisions Book (or the Handbook in future). 

To make a point...Years ago there were not concrete and other paths and sprinkler heads and a vast number of other immovable Obstructions. This lead to Definition on Obstructions and a Rule relevant to relief. Other Obstructions such as Overhead Power Lines exist now and can be a problem on a few golf courses. This lead to the Specimen Local Rule.  

You can get to see how simple the game and Rules can be on a few courses which are simple....There are tees and putting greens, few or no bunkers, no  immovable obstructions except a few things at a tee, , no water hazards, no out of bounds fences, no gardens, no practice green, few trees...

Years ago I refereed at a course which met quite a few of these descriptors. It was very boring for me because it was basically hit the ball and hit again for the players, all skilled amateurs.  

There were plenty of trees so  some ball searching was on. 

The course has now got a few more water hazards (I think there was only one) and probably cart paths and other things but I haven't been there for ages.

The course Federal, ACT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users