18 replies to this topic

#1 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

Matchplay. Players A and B are off the green. Player A chips ball towards hole, stops 1 meter from pin. Player B chips onto green, ball hits the pin, shoots off and hits player A's ball and stops. Player A goes to replace ball, everyone agrees its original position is exactly where B's ball ended up. One marker, two balls' position. Who putts first?

#2 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2990 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

No doubt they'd have to toss a coin or "draw lots" as they say.

#3 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2630 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

This is covered in the rule book. 10-1. Match Play • b. During Play of Hole After both players have started play of the hole, the ball farther from the hole is played first. If the balls are equidistant from the hole or their positions relative to the hole are not determinable, the ball to be played first should be decided by lot.

#4 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:48 AM

thanks, very helpful :)

#5 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

another question re matchplay if you'd be so generous! During a pennant match a couple of mths ago, a player's electric buggy fell apart during the playing of a hole. She rang pro shop and a replacement was brought out but had to let the two following groups through from her team but held up the rermaining other 2 club's teams. What's the correct procedure here please? If this was a delay, should she have rung the committee to inform them (due to change of team playing order?) or no worries just wait it out as it wasn't a delay/slow play and was only 20 min duration? The latter seems the most equitable. cheers

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12772 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

Any player may suspend play "in an emergency". It's a matter of opinion as to whether having one's electric buggy break is an emergency. Sounds reasonable to me, and she only held up the field as long as she had to.

#7 Johanna_C

Johanna_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNetherland

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

I've had it happen to my opponent on the 6th hole. We walked back to the clubhouse and replaced the battery. Then continued from where we interrupted our match. No fuss and I won on the 17th hole.

#8 WendyD

WendyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNewburgh, NY

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

Since this was match play the opponents may suspend play by agreement. Since this didn't delay the tournament/subsequent rounds, no problem.

#9 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Matchplay. Player a hurls club as per usual. Player b declares it a dangerous act and conceeds game saying shes not playing with somone who throws a club indiscriminately and writes a letter to C. Committee have power to take match off player a. whats likely outcome do you think? Player a hasnt really beached a rule.

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12772 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

Interesting one, Maggie. If I had to rule, I'd say that B had conceded the match. A warning to A that club throwing is unsportsmanlike and that it is not to happen again. It might have all been a ploy by B to gain a win without actually having to beat her opponent.

#11 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

Could be a very clever ploy yes - perhaps to encourage committee into doing something about a who has never been picked up on it before despite nearly hitting other players....!!

#12 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6654 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

Maggie Do you sell tickets for these games, reckon you could be on a winner there...... It is indeed an interesting question that you first posed and in some ways it comes back to a lack of action by the Match Committee .... We had a serial club thrower at my little club, rather than creating a scene with the club thrower themselves I used his girlfriend, who also plays, and had a conversation about how bad it looks for a 2 marker to be throwing clubs all the time and it is one of my pet hates and as Club President it is not the look I want to see on the golf course..... Worked a treat, along with a few sly comments from fellow golfers he hasn't hurled a club in months and strangely enough now people want to play with him, where as before they weren't keen at all. As to how your club fixes the problem you now have will be interesting, glad I am not on a committee trying to sort that one out..

#13 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2264 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

If there is a safety issue involved, then it might be a breach of the local rules. Most clubs have a local rule about it. 33-7 also says that the committee can disqualify a player for a serious breach of etiquette even if it is not against any rule. In B's situation, I would have to think that she has conceded. By the rules she ought to have immediately made a claim under 2-5 to have the committee determine whether she was obliged to continue to play. Can't see anyone doing that though.

#14 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2264 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

And seriously, who throws clubs?

#15 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Player a has honour player b hits off first without asking. Is this a penalty in matchplay or can u just ask them to replay the shot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users