#1 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14174 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Queensland

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Was practicing my chipping today. Off normal and tight lies I was happy with getting good and consistent contact. But when the ball was sitting up on top of long grass I was hitting under the ball. What are the options for hitting a ball when it is sitting up in long grass to help prevent the club head going under the ball?

#2 2Putts

2Putts

Rescue User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6148 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

For the really deep fluffy stuff I make sure the hands are well forward and deloft the club somewhat to make the face higher. Playing the ball back a little and make doubly sure that the strike is very much down on the ball helps me. If the above isn't working for me then a less lofted club so even if I add loft through impact I still catch the top of the club face. In chipping practice I like hitting the ball on different grooves on the club face. It is interesting to see how the ball reacts and it helps me with that sort of depth control issue. For normal length fluffy stuff I open the club a little and use the bounce of the club to clack the ball higher of the face.

#3 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

You have to anticipate the contact... so less lofted club is my choice.

#4 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4587 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Rey moving the ball back in your stance? If you are hitting under the ball, your swing is bottoming out earlier then anticipated?

#5 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Weetbix, The tour players play them like a bunker shots that way you don't get a flyer and the ball pops up. Us the bounce or trailing edge of the club and the ball pops, the ball will also sit soft. Even up to 80 metres I play my shots in the rough like this, last thing you want is a flyer and not stopping ending up over the back of the green.

#6 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14174 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Some things to practice. Back in the stance was something I did try a bit and it did help. Zen - I suspected that that was the pro solution. I am not confident in my technique or touch for that shot at the moment. Will look for something I can work with initially and then add that to my training.

#7 2Putts

2Putts

Rescue User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6148 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

Rey moving the ball back in your stance? If you are hitting under the ball, your swing is bottoming out earlier then anticipated?

Ghetto train – get on it.
Bandit express.

Winner C grade OOM #3 Patterson River.

Quite possibly GG, slightly rearward low point and loft added through impact; very easy to slide a 56/60 degree wedge straight under the ball in the very fluffy stuff. Bringing the hands forward and the ball back just a little for me makes absolutely certain the ball is being hit first rather than flipping and sliding the club under the ball too much. No good for a flop shot but that isn't the aim : )

#8 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

Weetbix,
The tour players play them like a bunker shots that way you don’t get a flyer and the ball pops up. Us the bounce or trailing edge of the club and the ball pops, the ball will also sit soft.
Even up to 80 metres I play my shots in the rough like this, last thing you want is a flyer and not stopping ending up over the back of the green.

An official iseekgolf.com teaching panelist

scott@zenolink.com

http://www.facebook.com/zen...

Core Health first 3D gym in the world. 1 Golf Links Road, Frankston South

I like this one for Flyer lies.

#9 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

For the really deep fluffy stuff I make sure the hands are well forward and deloft the club somewhat to make the face higher. Playing the ball back a little and make doubly sure that the strike is very much down on the ball helps me.

If the above isn’t working for me then a less lofted club so even if I add loft through impact I still catch the top of the club face.

In chipping practice I like hitting the ball on different grooves on the club face. It is interesting to see how the ball reacts and it helps me with that sort of depth control issue.

For normal length fluffy stuff I open the club a little and use the bounce of the club to clack the ball higher of the face.

Forum Signature

Well said 2Putts. Something else you can try is to simple choke down on your club and make some practice swings focusing on swinging at the height you want the club to swing through the ball.

#10 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

The tour players play them like a bunker shots.
You risk sliding the club under the ball and going no where. We've all had one of those happen.

#11 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2480 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Zen's got it. Use the bounce. Most handicap players flip the left wrist which is a no-no any time, but especially in rough and traps.

#12 Kirra_Dog

Kirra_Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

I actually had a chipping lesson the other week and we touched on this. Basically play it like your normal chip shot, but choke down on the club and do not rest your club on the ground, as the club head would be below the ball and promote the "hitting under the ball effect'. So basically choke down the club and do not rest the club below the ball and play your normal shot. Has helped me alot with consistent contact. Goodluck

#13 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14174 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:52 AM

Thanks all. I think that gives me 2 clear techniques to practice - the splash and the delofted gripped down hovered evenly balanced normal chip. Great stuff, thanks.

#14 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

Some things to practice.

Back in the stance was something I did try a bit and it did help.

Zen – I suspected that that was the pro solution. I am not confident in my technique or touch for that shot at the moment. Will look for something I can work with initially and then add that to my training.

Starting 2012 on unofficial 17, target 12 then single figures
Member of the South East Queensland Golf Group
LEARN then PERFORM – Geoff Mangum

Weeties, Could we consider yourself as a pro hitting at hit the ball fat :)lol This is simular to a bunker shot. You can master it pretty easy there is hard ground underneath the club will bounce for you. Pretty hard to make a meal of the shot. :)

#15 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14174 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

Yeah, it's probably more the touch thing that I'll need to work on! Plus working out how different types and thicknesses and so on of grass affect it. When I played at Oxley the grass always ran away from the surface and that really affected my distance control - I always came up short as the club got grabbed. Practicing at Logan the depth of grass was the challenge, but it didn't grab. Lots to lean. A large part will be to trust my subconscious to apply the right amount of effort. And practice!

#16 ashortgame

ashortgame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

One of the most important things in the short game is remembering the lie determines the shot. Youve got all sorts of advice here, with some not really relating to the question youve posted. I would say there are 4 distinct types of lies you will get in the rough, and all the shots require a different approach and technique. So lets see if I can help with the question you posted. "What are the options for hitting a ball when it is sitting up in long grass to help prevent the club head going under the ball?" This is tricky because you dont get it a lot with the ball sitting up like its on a tee. But thats the best way to think about it really. If you imagine the ball is sitting up on a tee (similar to a driver), then the next thing to consider is how much carry and roll you want. You can certainly play it with a 56 with the hands forward (about in line with the inside of your front leg is ok). I would use the 56 if the pin is cut close. But your safer and easier option is 52 or PW. I actually use a 9 iron if the carry and run is about 50/50 as with the sweeping motion you need to play it like its siiting on a tee, the ball tends to pop up a little with this lie. Then most critical thing in playing this shot is tempo! You need to play it with a slow even tempo, the same speed back and same speed through. Slow back, Slow through and even tempo. Its crazy really, youd think that because the ball's perched up it would realtively easy. But most people have a tendency to slide under and the balls just pops up and goes nowhere. It doesnt take long to get it down if you can find a place to get the ball to sit up on top of the grass and hit a few chips. Youll find after 10 or so chips you will get it down and have it locked in the memory bank.

#17 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2839 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

There's an easy mickelson vid on you tube that tells you how to play that shot. here you go

#18 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

One of the most important things in the short game is remembering the lie determines the shot.
Youve got all sorts of advice here, with some not really relating to the question youve posted.
I would say there are 4 distinct types of lies you will get in the rough, and all the shots require a different approach and technique.
So lets see if I can help with the question you posted.

“What are the options for hitting a ball when it is sitting up in long grass to help prevent the club head going under the ball?”

This is tricky because you dont get it a lot with the ball sitting up like its on a tee. But thats the best way to think about it really.
If you imagine the ball is sitting up on a tee (similar to a driver), then the next thing to consider is how much carry and roll you want.
You can certainly play it with a 56 with the hands forward (about in line with the inside of your front leg is ok). I would use the 56 if the pin is cut close.
But your safer and easier option is 52 or PW.
I actually use a 9 iron if the carry and run is about 50/50 as with the sweeping motion you need to play it like its siiting on a tee, the ball tends to pop up a little with this lie.

Then most critical thing in playing this shot is tempo!
You need to play it with a slow even tempo, the same speed back and same speed through. Slow back, Slow through and even tempo.
Its crazy really, youd think that because the ball’s perched up it would realtively easy. But most people have a tendency to slide under and the balls just pops up and goes nowhere.
It doesnt take long to get it down if you can find a place to get the ball to sit up on top of the grass and hit a few chips. Youll find after 10 or so chips you will get it down and have it locked in the memory bank.

Trying to hit out of rough or thick grass with the leading edge of the club is a recipe for disaster. The grass will grab the leading Most tour players use the bounce and play them like a bunker shot. Even using a 9iron you use the trail edge so grass doesn't grab the leading edge and shut the club face down. Will also cause club head to slow down, you with flub the shot and many other undesirable shots. Using the bounce ensures the grass doesn't grab hold of the leading edge and shut the face down on you.

#19 ashortgame

ashortgame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:02 AM

Zenstb .. You are correct in what you are saying, however I think what Wheetixbix is talking about is when the ball is perched high on top of long grass. Not a shot you encounter very often, but nevertheless you do get it on the very odd occasion. " But when the ball was sitting up on top of long grass I was hitting under the ball" So my reply is specifically for that perched up on top shot. I agree wholeheartly about what you're saying, but unless Im wrong Weetixbix is asking about a different sort on shot than what most are replying to here. Perhaps Weetixbix might clarify the shot for us.

#20 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Zenstb .. You are correct in what you are saying, however I think what Wheetixbix is talking about is when the ball is perched high on top of long grass.

Not a shot you encounter very often, but nevertheless you do get it on the very odd occasion.

” But when the ball was sitting up on top of long grass I was hitting under the ball”

So my reply is specifically for that perched up on top shot.

I agree wholeheartly about what you’re saying, but unless Im wrong Weetixbix is asking about a different sort on shot than what most are replying to here.

Perhaps Weetixbix might clarify the shot for us.

Sure and still for this shot you would still use the trailing edge, if you use the leading edge like your suggesting, the grass grabs the leading edge. Put the ball forward in the stance more and using the bounce and trailing edge the club moves forward and kicks up ward you won't hit under the ball. Takes practice although is a higher percentage shot for this situation. When people hit under they are trying to hit downward the club slips underneath the ball. If he moves the ball forward the club is moving forward and upward, just like a bunker shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users