#31 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Dont worry to much Whatahack. I have similar issues at the moment. Have shot 98 a month ago but my last two rounds since have both been 108.

Its frustrating because you know you are capable of better scores. On reflection I think when you see that your game isnt working – ie a couple of wipes in a row, you need to change your approach and play a little conservatively. Not going for the Tourpro shots like 160mtrs appraoch and carry a greenside bunker. Instead of going for the green lay up with a PW and then and easy chip onto the green would probably be a safer. Thats what Im thinking I will start doing anyhow.

When we have 1 and even 2 shots per hole use them when there is even a slight chance of trouble.

Where are you playing your golf?

Cobra ZL Encore 10.5deg.
Titleist AP1 712 3 – GW.
Vokey 56 & 60.
Titleist NXT Tour.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Thanks for the advice Hakman. It's funny you say that because after eight shotting the 14th I tried to just relax and not get so worked up about my round (thought it was ruined anyway, so it didn't matter what I did). Playing par and managed to win 15,16,17 and just missed drawing 18. Hit a 4 Hybrid 2m from the green on the 17th which was a nice confidence booster to end the round. It's funny you when you relax you start to feel a bit better in your action. I still have a lot to work on, but as you say its frustrating when you know you can do better. It would only have been only 2 months ago where 123 was my average round and I would have taken it happily. Once I get these new clubs in my hand I will get some more lessons knowing that I have the club set that will take my game to under 100. ON A SIDE NOTE: was playing stroke play on the side with my mate (two of us were playing comp, he came for a social round). We are best mates, but also very competitive. He has always beaten me, until the last two rounds. He had a 10 shot lead after nine, and my comeback saw me fall just one shot short.

#32 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

I’ve read a book that stats to play double bogey golf. Eg. A par 3 becomes a par 5. So you need to get on the green for par and then two putt. If you play a par 70 course and two putt every hole that’s 106. You’ll probably will also want to just stick it on the fairway. Think what 5 shots will get you to the green on a par 5 without risking going off the fairway.

Ahhhhh shoot……..killed it tho’

VTPP #534

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Absolutely, and it is somehting I had done in my last two rounds, but again I went away from it yesterday. Looking at a par three as a par five changes the whole perspective of your round! As such you shouldn't have to play it so aggresively. THe golfer in me tells me to go for the green in one, but the sensible thing to do would to lay it up just short of the green. Chip on for two shots and then one/two putt for a win.

#33 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Got my new irons yesterday and I am bursting to get out there tomorrow and have a swing. Just having a few practice swings in the lounge and they feel so natural. Great pick up and a huge improvement to m old clubs. Haven't played in almost two weeks, but I think I'll be going our onto the course tomorrow with a stack of confidence in my new clubs!

#34 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

What sticks did you get?

#35 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9640 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

Had a really disappointing round yesterday. Given the wet conditions weren’t great for golf, but to shoot 123 after 106 and 113 in recent rounds is really disappointing.

Started off with an eight shot and then 9 shotted two par threes and a part four.

The most disappointing thing about it all I guess is the amount of shots I really wasted. Whether it was three shots to get out of a couple of bunkers or shots that I topped or hit into trees.

I really need to learn a lot more about course management and trying to play within my abilties. Given I am a high handicapper I need to use the numbers to my advantage. In previous rounds I was doing this, but seemed to go away from the basic fundamentals.

Used the Cobra AMP offset driver. It seemed ok, but it certainly slices more than the PING K15. I’m not sure what I am doing with my swing?

Whatahack, a couple of things I considered for a course management plan. There were very few Par5s that needed 5 shots to be reached. Even on a 500m Par5 that is an average of 100m. Logically if I stretched that 100m to 150ish and picked a club (5iron, hybrid) that would hit the ball that far I only needed 4 shots to reach most Par5s (3x150m =450m, and maybe a wedge to flick it on), then 2 putts. The same logic could be applied to Par3s and Par4s. Basically on any hole where I got 2 shots there was no need to take on bunkers and hazards etc however there is also no need to be overly conservative. I could make a plan within my current capabilities that allowed 2 shot holes to be played 1 shot better than my handicap would suggest : ) Still hit crap shots of course but it is hard to make a plan for those.

#36 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

What sticks did you get?

’The past is history, the future one may never see and today is a gift which is why it’s called, the present’
KungFu Panda
VTPP #534

Cobra AMP :)

#37 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Had my second terrible round in a row. My irons played so well it wasn't funny. Felt really clean and I was picking the up well. One downside still was the driver. Still can't control myself with the Cobra. I'm hitting the PING K15 much better. I think I'm leaning towards that club, I'm going to play an hour or so on Wednesday with the k15, so will see how I feel with it then.

#38 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

Set out on a practice round of 9 with the old trusty K15 yesterday. Pretty much sold on it as a driver. Played two balls off each tee. Used my best placed ball on the fairway to play conservatively. The other one I was more aggressive in my shots. I'm feeling I am learning more as a player. My scores aren't improving yet I feel I am better than what I was two monthsvago... I just dont know why it's not showing on my score? Very frustrating. Anyway big few days of golf to come. Playing a social round tomorrow with a mate. Playing comp both Saturday and Tuesday as well. Girlfriend is moving to warrnambool. I'm thinking about getting a country membership there. $220 ish for the year. I'll be up there enough and with green fees $40 I wouldn't need to play much to get money back. Anyone played there before?

#39 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22015 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

WaH, course management is all very well and good, and there are certainly times when it is the best course of action. But, unless you intend on playing to the max handicap for all time, you will have to develop more advanced golfing skills. Always avoiding 'better' shots means you will never get there. Until you get your handicap down to around 20, consistency will be your biggest problem. Stuff-ups nearly always cost you a shot, often more. But I'm sure you already know that. First, you need to make sure that your technique is right. If you're getting lessons, that should cover that aspect. Next, you need lots of practice. You can practise at home without hitting balls, just concentrate on hitting a pure shot. You'll find that it gradually all comes together.

#40 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9640 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

Nice WaH; sounds like you've found a club that works. As for the frustration; that's normal and unfortunately permanent :P Never played it but Warrnambool Golf Club looks great for $227; 6 games and your money back: http://www.wgcinc.co...id=29&Itemid=47

#41 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

WaH, course management is all very well and good, and there are certainly times when it is the best course of action. But, unless you intend on playing to the max handicap for all time, you will have to develop more advanced golfing skills. Always avoiding ‘better’ shots means you will never get there.

Until you get your handicap down to around 20, consistency will be your biggest problem. Stuff-ups nearly always cost you a shot, often more. But I’m sure you already know that.

First, you need to make sure that your technique is right. If you’re getting lessons, that should cover that aspect. Next, you need lots of practice. You can practise at home without hitting balls, just concentrate on hitting a pure shot. You’ll find that it gradually all comes together.

Very true OldBogey and it is certainly something I need to work on. But at the moment I'm not even able to consistently play to my handicap, so I think before I set about getting down to 20 I need to learn to break 28 every round. I think while my general tee shots and iron play has improved, I am still struggling with my putting. Played last sunday and scored 120. I reckon I three putted atleast 8-10 holes. Change those to two putts and i'm down around 110 and on my way to breaking my 32 handicap. I've always set myself high standards, I've just got to learn I can't expect to be a 10 handicapper within 5 months of picking up a golf club

#42 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

Nice WaH; sounds like you’ve found a club that works.

As for the frustration; that’s normal and unfortunately permanent :P

Never played it but Warrnambool Golf Club looks great for $227; 6 games and your money back:

http://www.wgcinc.com.au/in...;task=view&id=29&Itemid=47

Nine out of ten people believe that out of ten people, one person will always disagree with the other nine!

That's what I thought. They also have reciprocal rights with Curlewis ($10 rounds). Seems a pretty good deal to me!

#43 sand_scrapes_2greens

sand_scrapes_2greens

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

Hi WAH, You sound just like myself. Any time i hit the course it could be anything from 98 to 118. And as soon as one part of my game gets stronger another part decides to have the day off so any improvements are offset. I am a member at Warrnambool so hit me up if you want a hit to check it out. Great course, just gotta be straight as lots of the rough is nasty.

#44 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hi WAH,

You sound just like myself. Any time i hit the course it could be anything from 98 to 118. And as soon as one part of my game gets stronger another part decides to have the day off so any improvements are offset.

I am a member at Warrnambool so hit me up if you want a hit to check it out. Great course, just gotta be straight as lots of the rough is nasty.

Sounds great mate. Would love to have a round :)

#45 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

Played my first Tuesday comp today. Was a bit nervous, I didn't want to feel like I was slowing up the group. The fellas I played with were great. A bit older (I'm 23, they were in their 50s), but we had similar abilities (I'd like to think I have more improvement than them). We were playing in a par comp at Portarlington. Had a terrible front nine which saw me at -6. Had a terrible start to the back nine, but won two holes, evened another and had a loss on the last to finish the round at -9 overall. I am really not a massive fan of par... so I am glad that will be the last time I have to play it for a while. Tried a new putter today. Taylormade Ghost Spider. Not the most attractive club going around (actually, it's bloody ugly), but my putting was sensational with it. Loved the feel off the face and it was very easy to line up. Think I might have found my putter, but will be keen to try it out again next week to double check. Going to buy a few more lessons too. Will surely use one to work on putting, but still need some lessons to work on my swing. For those who are interested... here is my golf link http://www.golflink....k_no=3101414554

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users