#16 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the post GPJ.. I'm hitting about 180m pretty straight, hitting a lot of fairways and getting about 20-30m bounce/roll. So averaging around the 200m off the tee. More than enough for my course at Portarlington. Once I get confidence in hitting a full swing I reckon that could increase a bit more, but given my handicap I am just concentrating on hitting fairways and making my round as easy as possible. I will be just the once a week golfer, but probably playing two times a weekend in the summer time. Given the hours of my job it is pretty much impossible to play more than that, although when summer comes I'll have more sunlight to hit balls down at the driving range. First goal is to break 100 (I feel I am on the cusp of that now), but would eventually like to play between 10-15, which I'm thinking will take years of hard work. Would this suit the cavity back type club? Given I am going to splurge on my new clubs I want them to last me a good 5 years. Is this reasonable to expect that? What's the price of getting the lie angles fixed? Would my local pro at the club be able to do this? Thanks for your advice!

#17 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3814 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

Whatahack, I am just in the process of upgrading my clubs and did it through a pro and club fitter. I asked the same question, and for what it is worth, he said that the game improvement clubs will be suitable for my improvement down almost to a single digit figure. He said that once I have had that much of an improvement (off 29 ATM), then chances are my game would have changed enough that I would have a very specific idea of what clubs I want and probably worth reassessing. I am a once a week player as well and he basically said that the way to go was to invest in a good set of well fitted game improvement clubs and they will suit for a good while.

#18 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for the advice DeeGe I'm booked in for a club fitting on Wednesday morning. Any questions I should ask? What should I expect?

#19 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

Hi followers. So today I went down and got fitted for a brand new set of clubs. Was really impressed with the process. Was out in the range hitting balls and a computer was tracking distance, trajectory etc. Overall it was a 2 and a bit hour process to get kitted up with some new irons and driver. Managed to narrow it down to two clubs - Ping G20 and Cobra AMP - for the irons. With the ping I needed a shorter shaft than standard to hit consistenly, the club lie was at a Ping "Brown" range. I had a standard shaft length in the Cobra's and was hitting them more accurately and further than the G20s. Was hitting the 7 iron really well and it felt comfortable, so I decided to go with those. Ended up getting a 5,6,7,8,9 iron + pitching and gap wedges. They chucked in a sand wedge too. With the driver took out two clubs.... The Ping K15 12degree and the Cobra off set AMP 10.5 degree. Both very nicely clubs. I found I was getting a lot more consistent shots away with the Ping. They would travel around the 150m mark, with a bit of a roll taking it to about the 160/170m mark. The Cobra was a lot more distance. Was covering 200m and getting a bit extra on the roll. I struggled to control it at times though, and my usual slice would sometimes come back if I wasn't clean in my shot. I feel the Ping is probably more forgiving, but I am enjoying the extra distance that the Cobra was offering. I decided not to commit to the driver yet until I get a better feel for both clubs. I am playing on Sunday and will take out the Cobra to see how I go on the course with it. If I can find the majority of fairways I will probably go that way and continue to work on my swing to stop the slice. Anyone had any experiences with the Cobra AMP clubs? They sound like a good game development type.

#20 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38530 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

I tested the AMP irons when I replaced my old ones. They were second behind the R11s I ended up going with. Very nice feeling irons, and great value. I also tested the AMP fairway woods a few weeks back and walked out with the 4 wood. Very nice clubs.

#21 hakman

hakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Hey Whatahack, Great thread so far. You sound like you are at a similar stage to me 6mths ago. Look forward to seeing how you go over the journey. I have the Cobra ZL Encore driver. I tested this, the AMP, 910 D3/2 and the Ping G20. I found the 910s hardest to hit, didnt like the AMP which left it down to the Ping and ZL. I did find the Ping to be a tad more fogiving than the ZL but not by much. I did find the ZL was giving me an extra 20-30mtrs over the Ping. Id suggest you try the ZL if can. Great club.

#22 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

I tested the AMP irons when I replaced my old ones. They were second behind the R11s I ended up going with. Very nice feeling irons, and great value.

I also tested the AMP fairway woods a few weeks back and walked out with the 4 wood. Very nice clubs.

Starting 2012 on unofficial 17, target 12 then single figures
Member of the South East Queensland Golf Group
LEARN then PERFORM – Geoff Mangum

I am actually going to have a crack at the fairway woods on the weekend. Have you tried to hybrids? They are another lot I'll take out to try. Just really like the way the ball came off the club. And doing some research it seems they are very forgiving.

#23 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hey Whatahack,

Great thread so far. You sound like you are at a similar stage to me 6mths ago. Look forward to seeing how you go over the journey.

I have the Cobra ZL Encore driver. I tested this, the AMP, 910 D3/2 and the Ping G20. I found the 910s hardest to hit, didnt like the AMP which left it down to the Ping and ZL. I did find the Ping to be a tad more fogiving than the ZL but not by much. I did find the ZL was giving me an extra 20-30mtrs over the Ping. Id suggest you try the ZL if can. Great club.

Cobra ZL Encore 10.5deg.
Titleist AP1 712 3 – GW.
Vokey 56 & 60.
Titleist NXT Tour.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Thanks Hakman. Really hoping a properly fitted set of clubs will see my handicap come right in and I can FINALLY break 100 :)

#24 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38530 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

Didn't try the hybrids

#25 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Your game will benefit immediately with a combination of usability and confidence from being fitted with a set of clubs that suit you. Practice is the key though mate, I have traveled from 36 to 12 since 2009 and getting out and learning to set up swing and hit the ball properly with coaching is the first step. Then it is all about practise to increase how many time you can do the best swing for all shots in a round. Mistakes will still happen but that is unavoidable even the veruy best still play albeit rarely crap shots. Keep having fun.

#26 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Thanks Talart. Took my Infinitis out to the range today for a bit of a warm up for Sunday comp. Geez u can tell the difference in the clubs - the two weeks can't come quick enough for my cobras. Really lack confidence is hitting my current clubs. Was scuffing a lot of shots and the lie angles are terrible for my swing. Went through two buckets. Didn't worry too much about how the ball was coming off. Was more interested in making sure I have my swing going well enough for me I get my new irons...

#27 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

The ping driver may have been better due to the loft. Maybe see if they have a cobra in similar loft(if you want to stick to the same brand). You'll probably find the hybrid to be very versatile as well. Most package sets have Driver, 3 wood and hybrid these days and then the irons you have. I like the AMP range and the trusty rusty wedges. Sounds like you'll have a good set to get underway.

#28 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Had a really disappointing round yesterday. Given the wet conditions weren't great for golf, but to shoot 123 after 106 and 113 in recent rounds is really disappointing. Started off with an eight shot and then 9 shotted two par threes and a part four. The most disappointing thing about it all I guess is the amount of shots I really wasted. Whether it was three shots to get out of a couple of bunkers or shots that I topped or hit into trees. I really need to learn a lot more about course management and trying to play within my abilties. Given I am a high handicapper I need to use the numbers to my advantage. In previous rounds I was doing this, but seemed to go away from the basic fundamentals. Used the Cobra AMP offset driver. It seemed ok, but it certainly slices more than the PING K15. I'm not sure what I am doing with my swing?

#29 hakman

hakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Dont worry to much Whatahack. I have similar issues at the moment. Have shot 98 a month ago but my last two rounds since have both been 108. Its frustrating because you know you are capable of better scores. On reflection I think when you see that your game isnt working - ie a couple of wipes in a row, you need to change your approach and play a little conservatively. Not going for the Tourpro shots like 160mtrs appraoch and carry a greenside bunker. Instead of going for the green lay up with a PW and then and easy chip onto the green would probably be a safer. Thats what Im thinking I will start doing anyhow. When we have 1 and even 2 shots per hole use them when there is even a slight chance of trouble. Where are you playing your golf?

#30 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

I've read a book that stats to play double bogey golf. Eg. A par 3 becomes a par 5. So you need to get on the green for par and then two putt. If you play a par 70 course and two putt every hole that's 106. You'll probably will also want to just stick it on the fairway. Think what 5 shots will get you to the green on a par 5 without risking going off the fairway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users