#1 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hello everyone, Thanks for taking the time to check out my online journal. I am new to this website (and this is my first post). I can't wait to talk to everyone out there about golf and learn a heap about my game. MY HISTORY I'm new to golf. I picked up my first set of golf clubs (ever) in February this year at the ripe old age of 23. In my first game (on a par 72 course) I went around at 158. The score was terrible, but I fell in love with the game. I went out and bought myself a set of clubs. They were are cheap set of Infiniti clubs ($200 from $800). Since then I have played once a fortnight. In April I signed up to become a member at Portarlington, and I got give my handicap in June. Since my first round I have improved with every game I play. I hope this blog gives you something interesting to read as I go from someone who struggled to hit the ball off the tee, to a player who is rather compitent with a set of clubs. MY STATS AGE: 23 CLUBS: Infinti Black Hawks HOME COURSE: Portarlington EXACT HANDICAP: 32.5 PLAYING HANDICAP: 33 MY GOALS As of June 2012, I play Portarlington with an average of 119 shots. My first goal is to bring that down to under 100 by the end of February next year. This would work out to be an improvement of 59 shots since my first round. After that I want to work to bring my handicap down under 20. Although this is a very long term goal.

#2 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11234 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Welcome to the site- Im one of the moderators. We look forward to seeing your journey.

#3 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Madam! Looking forward to keeping everyone updated :-)

#4 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

I went around at 158. The score was terrible, but I fell in love with the game. Hell when I first started it took me months to break 120+ scores and when it happened I realized that even then I wanted better scores. Welcome to the Masochists sport of choice. Have fun.

#5 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

It's a sport that no matter how good you get you always want to get better!

#6 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

Had a round today. Took out a demo driver to give it a go and was super impressed. Took out the Ping K15 and it blew my mind away. Was hitting consistent and straight. Only one off the tee wasn't decent (and that was my own fault). Really stopped my slice. Has anyone else used this club before/ had such good results? Normally I am slicing a lot with my driver, so it was nice to be walking up the middle of the fairways more times than not. Anyway, played my best ever round at Portarlington. Played stableford and scored 35. Shot 109 (76 after handicap). Was killed by one 10 shot hole and an eight shot hole. Looking like I am getting close to breaking the 100. Got tomorrow off so will head down to Port again and take the club out for another try. Will be interesting if I get similar results

#7 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

Just an update to above ^^^ Checked the results today and noticed I finished the competition in third! Got my first comp placing (I admit it was a smaller field than a Saturday), which is one box to tick off. Went back out on the course today and shot 113. My putting really let me down, and scuffed a few shots. If I can tidy that up I will close in on my first goal.

#8 Pozza

Pozza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Welcome mate, keep an eye out for the next Vic OOM to open up. It's a bit of a hike for you I know but it's worth the trip.

#9 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

Thanks Pozza. Excuse the ignorance but what is an OOM? haha

#10 Pozza

Pozza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:36 AM

Have a look at the 'Iseekgolfdays' threads. There's 5 a year over Melbourne including the final at Curlewis in December. Next one is at Sunshine in October. It's played as a Stableford with A,B and C grade and an N grade for guys with no handicaps. It's an enjoyable day and a good chance to meet some of the guys on here. If you're looking for a round every now and then those threads are a good starting point in terms of finding a few playing partners as well. Lot's of guys willing to take up the offer of a hit every now and then.

#11 Pozza

Pozza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:36 AM

OOM = Order Of Merit

#12 peak_sy

peak_sy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1605 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

Welcome Whatahack, last round of OOM is at Curlewis, so can't be too far from you. I'm in a member at Curlewis, if you want a hit there let me know. Learn your weaknesses and work on improving them off the course, and play to your strengths while on the course. Your scores will improve in no time. Good luck

#13 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. The day at sunshine and Curlewis sounds great. Love the Curlewis course (although a golfer at my handicap needs a bucket of spare balls with some of the rough they have there) haha. Would be great to have a round/chat golf with you Peaksy. I'm looking at buying some clubs and would be interested to hear some thoughts. Liked the K15 driver. I was playing it with a 12 degree loft. Is this too much for someone my age? A bloke at work was saying that sort of loft is suited for older people? Would it be more beneficial for my game to lower my loft? Also in the market for a new set of irons. Need something pretty forgiving as well, but would like it to be something that can last me a few years and go ok with my game. I have a budget of about $1,500 to spend on a new club set up, so suggestions would be great!

#14 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34927 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:16 AM

Welcome whatahack - stick with the club if you like it mate - 12 degrees of loft will be easier to hit than something with less loft. Get to an OOM day - you'll get to meet all the inmates of the asylum. It's an experience!

#15 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18341 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Yep stick with the 12 degree if you're getting decent distance and more importantly, accuracy with it. The higher the loft basically, the more backspin or lift ....you should get and what happens is that the higher backspin tends to counter some of the sidespin. If you were to step down in loft on the driver, it may produce less backspin, and therefore open the door to encouraging more sideways spin. There is of course a fine line between too much loft and too little ......... in terms of maximising your distance off the tee ........ and that line of course is at the optimum amount of loft for YOUR swing. You can always get your swing measured at some point if you feel you are getting shortchanged in distance with your driver, but by the sounds of it, it's all going well. As far as getting new irons, I'd first look at what you want to get out of the game, and what you are willing to put into it. If you're happy with a once a week hit and am not too ambitious handicap wise, then look to getting some forgiving game improvement level cavity back irons. If you want to go low though with your handicap and want to get out there a few days a week, and are prepared to put in the work, then I'd look for some muscleback / blade type clubs (less forgiveness, but more precise). One thing I would highly reccomend though ........... before doing any of that though.......... is to go and have the "lie angles" on your existing irons checked. Get them properly fitted to your current swing, and you will drop an amazing number of shots off your score immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users