45 replies to this topic

#16 titleist

titleist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2570 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Ha ha that’s hilarious that you checked mate!
Its now 6.8 actually!
You need to come for a game and admire the great work that has been done. The new 6 holes are brilliant and its sooo disappointing playing the old ones now!!
Daylight saving i have you pencilled in!

Champions League you’re having a laugh…..

Wasn't spying, I played with Mitch the other day and was just chatting..... ;)

#17 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Ha ha that’s hilarious that you checked mate!
Its now 6.8 actually!
You need to come for a game and admire the great work that has been done. The new 6 holes are brilliant and its sooo disappointing playing the old ones now!!
Daylight saving i have you pencilled in!

Champions League you’re having a laugh…..

Hey Jetset, Any inside info you can share on when the next stages will be going ahead. Stage 2 is early next year? Have they confirmed whether Stage 3 is a go'er?

#18 along48

along48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Interesting on the re-development as I have heard from friends who are members at the DOON that they don't like the new holes after playing them for a while now. I haven't seen it myself so cant give a personal opinion however.

#19 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Interesting on the re-development as I have heard from friends who are members at the DOON that they don’t like the new holes after playing them for a while now. I haven’t seen it myself so cant give a personal opinion however.

What's been their feedback....interesting.....is it the current routing to show case the new holes being played on the back nine or is it the actual new holes?

#20 hangingout

hangingout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

I was told earlier in the week that membership is closed and there are a dozen on the wait list. Some must like the new holes. I've played them and the style is sensational. Better reviews after one summer I'd say, they have been opened for only 4 months after all.

#21 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Interesting on the re-development as I have heard from friends who are members at the DOON that they don’t like the new holes after playing them for a while now. I haven’t seen it myself so cant give a personal opinion however.

Hi Along, do you know what they don't like ? As you obviously can't please everyone when doing a new design but I haven't heard of any real problems with the new holes apart from a few grumbles about minor issues? Would be interesting to get the detail as Macc might be able to comment ?

#22 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

jetset, Obviously the holes are very new - and it will take a few years for all the small heathland plants to have an effect on the look. I think they add a lot to the look and feel of the course. There are often small issues - balls collecting at the bottom of a hill at 10 may be one - but anyone who cannot see that the new holes are on a completely different level to the old isn't looking. No one could reasonably suggest the old 1st,2nd 3rd and 8th are not vastly improved. How could anyone suggest the green at what was 3 (now 13th) isn't a huge improvement? They cannot and have any credibility. And the reversed 4th - the new 9th- may be the best of the new holes. The holes on the new land - the par 5 14th and par 3 15th are good holes and the advantage of building them will show when we get to do finish the course. They will free up much needed space on the south paddock (where the holes are poor at best) and get the current 9th and 10th holes away from the road. Here is a course not currently rated in the top 100 in Australia (Golf Digest) If its not in the top 30 when its finished we are not trying.

#23 hangingout

hangingout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

Agreed 100% macc.

#24 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

Agreed 1000% Macc! I was just tried to elicit the negative info from Along48 as I'm a massive fan of the new holes! Also have you ever played Kinloch in NZ as i just had 2 days there and was really impressed and keen to hear your thoughts on the course.

#25 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

I was at Kinloch the day after Michael Campbell won the US Open - so 2005. They were building it - or rather rebuilding most of it after the first shaper had done some ordinary work. Most people who have seen it think its really good. It sounds like its been a horrible business - but a good course.

#26 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:42 AM

Yes it has been a horrible business but now in good hands with grand plans for the place including accommodation. Great layout off the back and really enjoyable. I also played Kidnappers twice (once off the back) and i think i preferred Kinloch! I liked the front 9 at Kidnappers more. The only trouble with Kinloch and also Kidnappers to a degree was the bunker sand or crushed marble which made bunker play just plain stupid. May as well of put in water hazards! The 3 others i played with were from the National and the Lakes and we all agreed they were the worst we have ever played! I had a chat with the new owner later about it in a open way and i think he took it ok!! Before anyone else says that bunkers are meant to be hazards I'm fully aware of that point!!

#27 serrzy981

serrzy981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

jetset,

Obviously the holes are very new – and it will take a few years for all the small heathland plants to have an effect on the look. I think they add a lot to the look and feel of the course.

There are often small issues – balls collecting at the bottom of a hill at 10 may be one – but anyone who cannot see that the new holes are on a completely different level to the old isn’t looking. No one could reasonably suggest the old 1st,2nd 3rd and 8th are not vastly improved. How could anyone suggest the green at what was 3 (now 13th) isn’t a huge improvement? They cannot and have any credibility.
And the reversed 4th – the new 9th- may be the best of the new holes.
The holes on the new land – the par 5 14th and par 3 15th are good holes and the advantage of building them will show when we get to do finish the course. They will free up much needed space on the south paddock (where the holes are poor at best) and get the current 9th and 10th holes away from the road.

Here is a course not currently rated in the top 100 in Australia (Golf Digest) If its not in the top 30 when its finished we are not trying.

macc What will happen with the balls collecting at the bottom of the hill at the 10th? This also happens on the 12th, 13th (if you hit it left), and 16th (although I have never hit it short yet). Will this grow out or does some corrective work need to be done?

#28 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

One

#29 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

serrzy981 I'm not sure of the answer to that question. It will take a little time for the work to mature and the grassing develop. No hole in the country collects more balls in one tiny spot that 5 at Royal Melbourne - which is one of the best three short holes in the country. In part it's a result of the combination of fast running couch grass and lots of short grass. I have not seen the course for a month and will be up the week of the Australian Open. There are big expanses of short grass at 12 and 13 - but 10 seems to collect in a smaller space.

#30 serrzy981

serrzy981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

During winter those patches did get quite bare as there is not much growth with the couch grass. Maybe over summer it will not be so much of an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users