45 replies to this topic

#1 hangingout

hangingout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

Clayts, I believe you played your new holes there a couple of weeks ago. Do you like the work you've done? Be honest. What's next for this course?

#2 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:27 AM

hangingout It's new and needs time to mature. We have planted literally 1000s of small heathland plants that will take time to mature and will add greatly to the look and feel of the holes. The holes,I think, have turned out really well and should be fun and interesting to play for a long time. The green at the old 3rd (it will finish up being the 13th) is miles better than the original and one of the best we have done. They are not playing the new 9th (the old 4th in reverse) but it looks like it might be a really good short par five. Next is probably the old 5th,6th and 7th holes. The real key to making it a much better course is making something of the holes over the road. By the time its finished it should be a really good course - not long or particularly difficult but fun and with enough difficult shots to make it interesting for the really good players.

#3 hangingout

hangingout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Tnx. I heard they played the Doon Amateur there last Sat in ideal conditions and the best score was -2. With all these top amateurs (some off +3 and +4), it couldn't be that easy. Strategy and new greens great I'm told, look forward to seeing it. Good luck with the new holes then.

#4 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

Hi Macc, I'm a member of the Doon and can safely say on their behalf that everyone is loving the new holes! So what will you do with the proposed stage 3 across the road as its now playing like 2 courses with the new holes being far superior? Also i don't see it being that easy off the plates as you mentioned, as i played the amateur Vardon last week and also the new greens were rolled a few times last week and were fast and pure!! Definitely not easy but i guess that depends on what you are comparing it to?

#5 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

jetset, Not difficult if you compare it with Olympic! Stage 3 - the 16th goes and the order becomes 14,15,11 12 and 13 played to somewhere near the 16th green - then 17 and the old 8th which becomes the new 9th assuming they reverse the 9s. The old 11th becomes a shortish par 4 - with the tee forward and the green to the right of where it is now. Probably we will move the current 15th green back - close to where the 16th tee is now. None of us particularly like the look or feel of the shaping out there - and obviously it's much different from what we have done on the 'other side'.

#6 EzCal

EzCal

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

Hi Macc Firstly, love the new holes out at the Doon! Once they grow in slightly more they will be even better! Secondly, you mentioned the next plans were for the old 5th, 6th and 7th, out of interest is there any idea when that will begin?

#7 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

EzCal It will be next year. They should be really good holes. 7 especially. 6 is bad now so it should not be too hard to make something a lot better there. Also good land for 5 - which becomes 11 when the whole thing is finished.

#8 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

Listened to Mike Cocking last night talk through the next 4 holes for next year last night and it looks and sounds great. Spoke to Ashley and Mike afterwards and they were explaining in more detail too. Exciting times ahead and i love the ridge idea on the old 7th through the middle of the fairway once the trees are down too. That hole is a nothingness at the moment. really like the 6th too as that hole is just a blast over the trees now and plays easy but further back and a more pronounced tee short will make you think! Very glad about changing the current 11th par 3 as we dont get on well together!!

#9 hangingout

hangingout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

What handicap are you playing off jetset?

#10 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

+1

#11 titleist

titleist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2570 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

+1

Champions League you’re having a laugh…..

Jeesus... You quit work and play golf everyday now! ;0)

#12 titleist

titleist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2570 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

I spoke with Mitch Gannon yesty, he told me your off 7?

#13 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Ha ha that's hilarious that you checked mate! Its now 6.8 actually! You need to come for a game and admire the great work that has been done. The new 6 holes are brilliant and its sooo disappointing playing the old ones now!! Daylight saving i have you pencilled in!

#14 hangingout

hangingout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

Swing looks like 17

#15 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members