Special Promotions

Photo

How does a normal golfer get more clubhead speed?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4196 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Has normal golfer lifted their yardage and how?

#2 AB_Uncut

AB_Uncut

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:54 AM

Yeah I did... FLW and hitting down on it was the solution! (JOKE!) I will sit back on this for awhile and see what responses come in first rather than giving my opinion this time.

#3 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

Has anyone lifted their yardage and how?

For tuition in Sydney call Paul Hart (TheDart) 0412 070 820.

Terry Hill’s, St. Michael’s or Duntryleague Golf Club Orange

An official iseekgolf.com teaching panelist.

2 things. Got fitted for a shaft (big difference) and started working on sequencing my swing better. I can throw the club head at the ball with everything i've got, but if i concentrate on firing everything in the right order, I end up with a fast club head speed at the bottom anyway.

#4 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

Paul,for me if I need to go longer,my main swing thoughts are to be very relaxed in backswing all the way to the top,and once I begin the downswing I concentrate on unwindinding from groundup but keep my right elbow tucked in release naturally down into ball still with the feeling of staying centred ,in the main,concentrating on the core muscles carrying the load,if I really want a bit of fun,I tend to feel the right elbow being straightend down thru impact,that doesnt always work lol........for me,keeping hands out of it is the real key

#5 Senators_Son

Senators_Son

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

I got seriously into gym work and roids. Seemed to help.

#6 Chop Chop

Chop Chop

Massive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6993 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:49 AM

My swing speed hasn't actually changed much since I took up golf. I was told to hit it hard and straight would come. Goes up and down now maybe 10mph depending on how much time I spend swinging a heavy club and working with stretchy bands. Yardage initially improved when I learnt to compress the golf ball. Nowadays two things I note are that lower speed comes from a right arm hit and this is generally a controllable fade. Higher speed comes from a loose wristed, slow transition and smash it at the bottom type swing that is less predictable; though a draw tends to be more prevalent. I guess I'm saying I initially learnt to hit the ball better and therefore hit it further , now I increase (maintain) my yardage through exercise and choice of swing.

#7 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:01 AM

For me in was a belief that I was suppose to swing slow and easy, it was ingrained in me at an early age, every miss was always blamed on swinging too fast. I started playing pro events in 1983 and found that I was a very short hitter. Over the following 18 months I gained about 15 yards on a 7 iron and heaps on my drives. What worked for was to try and hit the ball as far as I could, my goal was to get my 7 iron to the 200 marker. What happened was that I unlocked my athletic ability. The answer for me was to change my belief that swinging slow was better.

#8 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

HP........mate,the only way I could get 200yds from a 7 ir was to hit it then madly run away from the ball 40yds.......yeah,50yds

#9 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4465 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:53 AM

Changed my swing completely a little over 12 months ago when I developed osteo-arthritis in the knees. I am now a club longer with the irons and much more solid with the woods. The changes I made involved controlling the swing from the feet and ankles, not trying to make a pivot and winding up the forearms with a small amount of reverse rotation with the right arm being forced to break by the shoulder turn. I do 2 hrs of mobility, stability, balance and some strength work every day. I am the same age as yourself, Dart.

#10 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:17 AM

Zenolink first set of drills, using the ground and maintaining the 'house'. Having more of a FLW at the top instead of cupped and having my hands higher at the top and shortening the backswing, not deliberately but with all my new drills and technique I can't rotate as much but my resistance is greater so I got more power from a shorter swing. I don't know which particular thing has increased distance the most as I did my zenolink and had a lesson with my pro at the same time but I think they all help.

#11 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5316 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:48 AM

Wouldn't chasing accuracy and distance control be better pursuits than out and out distance?

#12 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

Wouldn’t chasing accuracy and distance control be better pursuits than out and out distance?

Driver – Mizuno MP 600, 10.5 degree
3 Wood – Srixon M-steel, 15 degree
3 Hybrid – Taylormade 18 degree
4 Hybrid – Taylormade 22 degree
4-PW – Mizuno MP52’s
Cleveland Wedges
Mizuno Bettinardi Putter

Hey Ghetto, probably correct for most. In my case, I needed more distance to be able to compete at a high level. I think it depends on your long term goals.

#13 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Interesting that we have several experiences here Dart. How about you, did you ever have a lift in your distance in your playing career?

#14 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4196 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

HP, On the odd day the dam thing would go 40 yds longer but for the life of me I had no clue as to what caused it. Some big ones came from slow swings and some from a thrashing type action. Some came from a lazy bull - whip type swing. So no, after the action it was back to plodding along at 230 yd carry. I never cracked your athletic swing for long. I guess now that it served my purpose. I could survive in Australasia at that length. That is why I asked. I need 15 yds to reach my goal. I noticed you had the "slow" idea. I must have a bad one too but can't quite find it. I will try heavier support through impact tomorrow.

#15 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4196 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:25 AM

The best I ever saw was a bloke called Simon Owen. He was shorter than I and came back from England over 300. He said an old Pro told him to hold it gently. He lead Nicklaus into the last three holes in The Open but Jack got him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users