#1 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6654 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Some here know what I have been going through this year, most of it I have I kept to myself but the time has come to have a say about the mysteries of the Aged Care System that we have in this country or more specifically NSW. Some background information. Due to various circumstances I have ended up living with my elderly parents. About three years ago my old man had a stroke and through rehabilitation we got him home. Still capable of looking after himself, walking his dog etc. Life was changed but nothing we could not deal with. Early February this year he had what I would deem as another stroke. Medical authourities disagree and say there was no sign of a bleed but something definitely happened that made him loose his balance, fine motor skills and communication levels. The result was time in local hospital, time in rehabilitation hospital, back to local hospital and then........ Will get to that directly. After first stroke he was assessed by the Age Care peoples and if needed we had options that we could have accessed for help around home etc. After second event he was reassessed as High Care Dependant. As it became clear that he would not make it home this time we put his name on the waiting list of the local nursing home. A tough decision but one that had to be made. He was and still is number 1 on that waiting list. As it now turns out that because we have tried to do the right thing and keep him at home for as long as possible, by that I mean not having him placed in the Hostel part of the local nursing home at some stage last year when we could notice that he was slipping a little but we could still manage at home, we now are faced with the following situation. Because he is not in the Aged Care facility even though he is number one on the waiting list, anybody that is already in the Aged Care facility gets automatic preference in regards to placement within the facility and my old man gets to wait for them to have an opening that is not filled from within the facility. So in other words by us keeping him at home we have now stuffed him. The bit above where I said I would get to later is...... He ran out of time in the local hospital and as they deemed him as not being sick we where told that he had to go to a nursing home. I could not argue with that fact. The discharge nurse said that the closest available option was in a place which is a 2 hour drive away from where we live. That is based on the level of care that he requires. We explored the possibility of getting help into home, but the level of care he needs it is just not practical. Discharge nurse has obviously never visited said Nursing Home that she recommended as I can guarantee that NO MEMBER of her family would ever set foot in the place. It is so over crowded, filled with a large percentage patients that are not dementia suffers, 4 elderly patients to a room, just a shattering place for anybody to end up in. So for doing the right thing as governments suggest in keeping people at home for as long as you can we have now totally screwed the old man over. This is not to mention his girl friend of the past 59 years who is now totally shattered as she cant drive that distance to visit him, and is devastated by the Nursing Home where he is at present on a respite basis. Morale of all the above is 1) Get Age Care assessment done 2) As soon as you feel that you are struggling a little at home get yourself or your parents into a Aged Care Facility 3) Don't keep parents at home for to long as the system will come back to screw you over big time Sorry for the length of this but I am over it big time.......

#2 Bumpun_Beetle

Bumpun_Beetle

don't you member me?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5402 posts
  • LocationThirteen point six warning points

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Best wishes with all of it mate. I can't imagine any of the pain that comes with all of that and I have my fingers crossed it won't be something I need to worry about for a few decades yet

#3 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

Good luck Peg, have some understanding of what you are going through. MIL is starting to slip mentally after a heart attack last year. We are in the final stages of AC assessment at the moment.

#4 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6654 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

Good luck Peg, have some understanding of what you are going through. MIL is starting to slip mentally after a heart attack last year. We are in the final stages of AC assessment at the moment.

Would that also be a Peg?? If it is ...... I think I am right...... Flick me an email coonastevoATbigpondDOTcom Getting assessed is only half the battle, getting a bed at the right inn is the flocking hard part.......

#5 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6654 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

Okay an update We have been lead to believe that there was a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Well today somebody found the light switch and I can see clearly now. Local Aged Care Facility have found a bed at their inn in the Dementia Unit which is where the old man needs to be. Instead of a room with 4 others he will be coming home to his own single room and people that he may actually remember. A visit is 300 yards away and not a 4 hour return car trip. It is sad to think that what has given us hope has brought sadness to someone else whose parent has passed away, and my families thoughts are with them at this time but the need for some sanity in our life has come to some resolution.

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12772 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

I went through similar probs with my Mum. Temporary places were **** awful. Finally got her into a nice place for her final months.

#7 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

Watched my grampa piss himself while driving a truck (he thought) in his wheel chair. This was back in the late 70's and scarred me a little as a kid. Dumped in a corner, stinking of piss and ****, some other old codgers clothes on as they (the patients and nurses/auxiliaries ) just lift anything and fling it on them. Not much has changed, wife's gran died a couple of years ago in an old folks place after her alzheimers got really aggressive and rendered her a veg and her old man was out of his depth. The old woman in next room came past affter they were visiting the corpse (morbid sense of humour i know ! ) wearing her cardigan, wife was distraught. My parents are now touching 70 and both in Scotland and I am here ( only child) so it worries me too as to what can happen as my dad has been a smoker for 60yrs and a prime naval p ower drinker for 55yrs. Don't know how the old fucker is still alive to be honest :D Anyhow, hope all gets better for ya mate,

#8 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Little bit of info for those interested in strokes and their symptoms.. Also known as TIA's....Or mini strokes. No bleeding, temporary blockage. A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is when blood flow to a part of the brain stops for a brief period of time. A person will have stroke-like symptoms for up to 1-2 hours.

#9 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6654 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

Yes TIA's are not much fun ........... As an untrained Medico I would say that the old man is having these still. OldBogey He is moving to a palace compared to the place he is in, which sadly looks to me like a place that is being run looking at profit, not the best interest of the residents

#10 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hope he settles well and you all feel less stressed !

#11 Tolmij

Tolmij

WAITING FOR PEMISSION TO POST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16027 posts
  • LocationCommish will tell me when

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

peg, last 2 years we wife and I voluntered in an aged care facility, supposed to be one of the best, if that was the best I would not like to visit a bad one. My wife is 67 and as you may know I am 70, we have given each other the Solomn assurance that we will never put each other in an aged care facility, it does not matter what that means we will never live in one. Ppl stuck in corners covered in ****, personal property fair game for anyone, no privacy etc. One day I walked past a room, the poor lady was up on a hoist they used to clean them each morning, stark naked with the door wide open, when I took the nurses to task it was obvious they did not give a stuff. The aged care industry for that is what it is, just a business, is there only to make money the care of residents is secondary. My wife and I will sit down with a bottle of booze and a packet of pills before we enter one. We feel very strongly about this, better dead than a total loss of dignity.

#12 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6654 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

tolmij That could well be true of the one he is currently in. The one he is returning to is run by the community. They raised the funds for the original hostel and all profits are re-invested in same to keep it modern. I can understand your concerns and trust me I was horrified at what I saw at this place, but have had a really good look around the local place and it seems to be pretty good. He is going into a dementia specific setup. 16 patients, one per room and staff that really care about the patients as most of the staff know the patients and want them to be treated as they would treat there own parents.

#13 Tolmij

Tolmij

WAITING FOR PEMISSION TO POST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16027 posts
  • LocationCommish will tell me when

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

best of luck Peg I really hope you don't need luck.

#14 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6654 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

Okay old Man safely housed at his new home Went down for a visit Saturday night The place is like the Hilton compared to where he was when in limbo. Rooms are big enough to get lost in, bathroom and showers are amazing. It so well set out and designed one wouldn't know that you were in a dementia unit until you saw the patients. Large covered outdoor area with walking paths. During visit it was dinner time and I had the privilege of watching the way the staff looked after the patients and made sure that the ones that needed help were given it, the way that the patients were spoken to, including the ones who wanted to wander, was in a manner full of respect. So if first impressions mean anything we are on a winner
  • AriGold likes this

#15 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4511 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:08 AM

The whole aged care industry (not just high care) needs a total overhaul. The "fees" they charge make the banks and credit card companies looks like mother teresa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users