#1 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Below are the basic TPI golf screenings for flexibility, mobility, and balance. A TPI certified coach might put you through this process before he gives you a golf lesson because swing faults are often caused by physical limitations. Having this information as a coach is so helpful in understand what my student can and can’t do. It also helps me build a stretching routine that will compliment the swing changes we are making. If you dare, do some self test and let me know how you do... Screen 1 Screen 2 Screen 3 Screen 4 Screen 5 Screen 6 Screen 7 Screen 8 Screen 9 Screen 10 Screen 11

#2 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Is this you in these vids ?

#3 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Is this you in these vids ?

I’ve tried seeing things from your point of view but I can’t get my head that far up my arse !!

Nope, I'm old and grey and a yank, sorry. This is me... Head Pro

#4 bushy007

bushy007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

So HP, once the screening is done what is the best way to improve in these areas??

#5 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

So HP, once the screening is done what is the best way to improve in these areas??

Captain Gene Mauch: You know what, I’m going to hang onto the wooden gun.
Allen Gamble: To give me back my real gun?
Captain Gene Mauch: No. I’m going to give you this… It’s a rape whistle. You blow that if you’re in any trouble, and someone with an actual gun will come and help you out.
[Quietly blows the whistle]

Well, you simply select specific stretches and exercise based on the screening results. Its good to hit the area several different ways for better results. A certified fitness professional can help you choose a great routine specific for your body, some will even create a webpage that will allow you to view each exercise on video along with a schedule.

#6 BeKinetic

BeKinetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

If anyone in Melbourne is looking for a TPI screen, im a TPI certified Fitness Instructor, you can contact me on ben@bekinetic.com.au

#7 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hey BeKinetic - Tell us more about yourself and your experience with TPI Screenings...

#8 BeKinetic

BeKinetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Hey HeadPro well im a qualified Personal Trainer with a Sports Science degree and recently did my TPI course, it was a great course and really fascinating to get a understanding of how a golfers physical limitations can really affect their golf swing. Many golfers will early extend for example and no matter how many times their pro might tell them this if they are not physically capable of swinging their club without early extending, then they and their pro will be banging their heads against a brick wall! Its not to say you cant be a good golfer with these physical limitations, I have seen plenty that make compensations and have enough skill to overcome them. However these compensations put extra stresses on the body in areas that can't cope....how many golfers do we see with lower back pain, probably a result of tight hip flexors,weak glutes and abs and limited mobility in the hips and thoracic spine. If we look more closely at early extension below... If a golfer has generalized stiffness or asymmetry in the musculature and joints of the lower body these limitations will always prevent a good address position and force players to alter their spinal posture throughout the golf swing. Secondly, lead hip internal rotation is paramount for allowing the lower body to fully rotate without any forward thrust towards the golf ball. If the pelvis is unable to rotate around the lead hip due to joint or muscular restrictions then forward and lateral movements will dominate the pattern. Next the ability to separate your upper body from your lower body allows the lower body to stabilize while rotating your shoulders through impact. Limited trunk to pelvis separation is usually caused by reduced spinal mobility and shortened lat flexibility. Finally, the ability to stabilize your lower body is directly proportional to abdominal strength and control of the pelvic musculature, which help control the orientation and movement of the pelvis during the downswing. These muscles help prevent the lower body from thrusting towards the golf ball during the downswing. All of the above can be improved with specific exercises to help mobility, flexibility and stability. This can then progress into developing strength and power. I think it will make the Golf pros life a lot easier and the golfer will see more rapid improvements in their game. Not only this but it will definately help with preventing injury keeping the golfer out on the course as well as improving the golfers general health and fitness for everyday life anyway rant over :-), feel free to drop me a line with any questions

#9 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2938 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

would it not be better to see an osteotherapist who can manipulate and fix any movement issues with your body? Having had range of movement issues in the past I can't see how the TPI golf screenings would work without getting optimal working function in the body first. Then stretching to maintain and build mobility, flexibility and stability. The guy in the video looks pretty fit and i am guessing is starting from an above average heath position.

#10 BeKinetic

BeKinetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hi DeepPractice the TPI screening is used to identify the restrictions you have in your body, then using the results of the screen a fitness or health professional could prescribe exercises to help with these restrictions. If you have optimal working function in your body as you mentioned then you'll pass the TPI screening tests no problem I might be wrong but I would have though an oesteo would look at mobility/flexibility issues mainly. As a personal trainer I could help with these issues but also look at exercise progressions to develop stability, strength and power as well

#11 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2938 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

My experience with an Osteo, that is focussed on golfers, has been that over say the year or so I have been seeing him we have gradually worked our way up my body to get everything in the optimal position for effective movement. The point I was making is that the stretching on it's own is not really a whole lot of use if the muscle/bones are in the incorrect position in the first place. You could stretch and stretch but unless you fix the underlying problem, through manipulation, then it is more than likely to remain and you will be pushing sh..it up hill in an attempt to fix something. Also I think it takes a lot of work to get the body in a good position, I have toi stretch every day in order to maintain some semblance of correct muscle positions. Maybe for me it is a little accentuated as I sit behind a computer most of the day.... I have just recently started seeing a personal trainer to build some strength in the core and other muscles, it has helped a lot but I think without the underlying work of the Osteo it might just be in vaine.

#12 BeKinetic

BeKinetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

I agree if there are underlying problems then these need to be addressed first, I guess it all depends on what the underlying problems are to begin with and in some cases it will take an oesteo or a physio to help with these, for others working with a personal trainer will be sufficient to see improvements I think the bottom line is golf pros, health professionals and fitness professionals can all work togther to help someone improve their game, their body and their general health and fitness

#13 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

Hey HeadPro

well im a qualified Personal Trainer with a Sports Science degree and recently did my TPI course, it was a great course and really fascinating to get a understanding of how a golfers physical limitations can really affect their golf swing. Many golfers will early extend for example and no matter how many times their pro might tell them this if they are not physically capable of swinging their club without early extending, then they and their pro will be banging their heads against a brick wall!

Its not to say you cant be a good golfer with these physical limitations, I have seen plenty that make compensations and have enough skill to overcome them. However these compensations put extra stresses on the body in areas that can’t cope….how many golfers do we see with lower back pain, probably a result of tight hip flexors,weak glutes and abs and limited mobility in the hips and thoracic spine.

If we look more closely at early extension below…

If a golfer has generalized stiffness or asymmetry in the musculature and joints of the lower body these limitations will always prevent a good address position and force players to alter their spinal posture throughout the golf swing. Secondly, lead hip internal rotation is paramount for allowing the lower body to fully rotate without any forward thrust towards the golf ball. If the pelvis is unable to rotate around the lead hip due to joint or muscular restrictions then forward and lateral movements will dominate the pattern. Next the ability to separate your upper body from your lower body allows the lower body to stabilize while rotating your shoulders through impact. Limited trunk to pelvis separation is usually caused by reduced spinal mobility and shortened lat flexibility. Finally, the ability to stabilize your lower body is directly proportional to abdominal strength and control of the pelvic musculature, which help control the orientation and movement of the pelvis during the downswing. These muscles help prevent the lower body from thrusting towards the golf ball during the downswing.

All of the above can be improved with specific exercises to help mobility, flexibility and stability. This can then progress into developing strength and power. I think it will make the Golf pros life a lot easier and the golfer will see more rapid improvements in their game. Not only this but it will definately help with preventing injury keeping the golfer out on the course as well as improving the golfers general health and fitness for everyday life

anyway rant over :-), feel free to drop me a line with any questions

Great to have your contributions, would love to see you drum up some business here. As a golf coach, I found the TPI education extremely helpful. Doing the screening for a new student is a big eye opener and dramatically increases a coach’s chance at understanding what is actually happening. I would also like to say that most golf coaches who are TPI certified don’t know enough to help the student repair the physical issues. It normally involves more than a few fancy stretches. This is where an educated sports trainer can take over and help your student. CHALLENGE ANYONE? Maybe someone can take the screening test and give us the results, maybe BeKinetic will give you some advice.

#14 djcraig

djcraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hey BenK, where you based in Melb? What's the rough cost for a screening and an initial program? I have watched a ton of tpi and other similar info. There is just so much info/exercises/methods out there etc I'm a bit lost where to start. BTW There's a great vid on YouTube where the Tpi boys are at the 2012 golf fitness expo talking about common swing faults and causes. It's about an hour long but very interesting the whole way through

#15 djcraig

djcraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I just went through most of the tests... Although just quickly with out a warm up. As suspected I suck at the deep squat and not so good on the hip rotation tests. Bloody desk job. If there is a challenge I will put my hand up...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users