38 replies to this topic

#1 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

Thought I might as well start one of these golf blogs. I've been playing for years and managed to get my handicap down to single digits a couple of years ago. I really enjoy the game and travelling to some of those "postcard" golf courses when I can. Regarding the title of the post: I had my first child a bit under a year ago, and just got back to Sydney with no parents on site that I can handily give my little girl over to for the week end ;) All parent golfers I've met are unanimous: I should enjoy my game now as it's not going to get any better with kids! So let's see how long I stay below 10. Any punters? Plan or the coming days: comp at Kogarah tomorrow, comp at The Coast on Friday and I'll call and see if I can play Bonnie Dune next Monday.

#2 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

Stableford round at Kogarah GC today. 11 off the stick, 30 stableford points. I wish I could blame it on the tees being a bit further than they usually are, or greens that warmed up during the day or even starting off on the back 9, but realisticly I'll have to put the blame on average driving, weak iron play, inconsistent chipping and poor putting. I can only remember 2 quality shots for the day and at least 3 begginner mistakes (i.e. missing a punch shot back to safety followed by attacking from a dodgy spot). All in all not a great round. Positive things to remember would be hitting two great 3 irons (one leading to a sunk birdie putt and the other to a GIR on the index 2 hole). I also managed to keep my cool during a run of 5 holes that were pretty disastrous, that's something I've worked on quite a bit these last couple of years. This should give me a stroke back for my next stableford comp on Friday

#3 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Ok tomorrow is the Friday comp at The Coast. I love that course and have played the comp about 4 times already. I have most of my game plan mapped out but here are some objectives I've set out for myself tomorrow: - Double Bogey (at most) the 1st hole. In four comps there I have yet to score a single stableford point on this hole, despite it being one of the few that gives me a shot back. Plan is to go something like 3i, 3i, picth / wedge and 2 putts, walk away with a 2 pointer and move on. - Lay-up on the 7th: index 1 and a good contender for the prize for the stupidest hole design in all of NSW. Plan here is to try 3i, 9i, pitch / wedge. Tough driving hole though so I'll see. Other than that I'd like to score more than 30 points.... as I have not been too good on the scoring front on this course in ccompetition. Finally, despite what goes on in the round I want to just keep my cool no matter what I score or how many balls I lose.

#4 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

Just went out for a quick 9 at Woolhara GC from the public yellow tees. For those of you who do not know the course it's a small 9 hole municipal course. Not long nor difficult by any means. The greens were cored a week or so ago and were very bumpy and slow. I didnt pay much attention to putting and just wanted to hit some balls out in the sun. As a bonus my wife came out to walk teh course too with our daughter in a pram (my way of getting my 11 month old daughter used to golf!!!) Anyway short recap: 1: short straight par 4, decide not to go with driver asI'm usually left with a 60m shot to the flag. Swipe my 3W flush and the rangefinder tells me I'm left with...... 62m (front pin)! great. Hit my SW long, two putt par 2: shortish par 4. Blast a driver short and left of the green, flop a 60 to a couple of metres, miss the birdie tap in for par 3: Dogleg left par 4, index 1. I can't hook my ball around the massive trees or dogleg so I play as I usually play it: bomb a driver straight down, over the tree line and onto the next fairway. Was between clubs to get to the green, take the wrong one and come up short. Chip and putt to save par 4: 157m par 3, hit a 6 iron on the green roughly pin high about 7m to the right, proceed to 3 putt. Bah. Bogey 5: short par 4, drive it dwn the fairway, have 60m left, punch a half wedge to about 4m past the hole, got lucky and the birdie putt falls 6: dogleg right par 4. Perfect I just hit my drive without thinking of much as I'm nearly sure that produces what forum dwellers call *** fade. Middle of the fairway. Wedge it on, two putts for par. 7: very short par 4. Hit a soft fade with the driver, found the green but am about 30m from the cup. three putt par. 8: fairly straight forward par 4. hit my drive to the right into the rough, have to punch to the green as tree is in the way, hit a half 9i off the back foot to about 1.5m. Lift my head and push the putt as I see it sail by on the right. Par 9: 80m par 3. SW, two putt. It was a good round in the sense that I didnt miss many shots (putts aside). This does not bode well for tomorrow :) Also or what it's worth: no I don't play to scratch, but any golfer who plays this course from the front tees a few time would be shooting 3-6 strokes less (on 9 holes) than their handicap indicates, it is not challenging, but has that great quality that is being a 1 min walk from my flat.

#5 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

U play far too much golf to join the 'cranky parents who don't get to play golf because of their kids club' it's an exclusive club and sorry but u don't make the cut. At this rate I predict u to stay on single figures till ur too old to hit Ur driver 200m.

#6 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:36 AM

U play far too much golf to join the ‘cranky parents who don’t get to play golf because of their kids club’ it’s an exclusive club and sorry but u don’t make the cut. At this rate I predict u to stay on single figures till ur too old to hit Ur driver 200m.

My membership application for that club is still pending. I'm currently still a member of "just-moved-back-from-overseas-and-looking-for-a-job" club. So yeah I have a bit of time, now. This situation will not last very long. Point taken none-the-less.

#7 Munted dressed as lamb

Munted dressed as lamb

Summer is near- happy days!

• Administrators
  • 7023 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

Welcome Max thanks for the posts. Youll fit in real well here!! lol

#8 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hahahah sorry max I may of jumped the gun. As president of the club I will layout a few of the rules.... U must wear knee length socks with ur shorts reguardless of whether ur playing golf or not. U Must be able to name atleast 10 programs on channel 22. U must watch children's DVD's when the footy's on. You must not play anymore than two games a month. Nine holes counts as a game. Before playing golf u must change a nappy and make a bottle before the leaving the house regardless of how late ur running for ur tee time. When u get home u must change a nappy and make another bottle ooohhh and watch Thomas the tank engine or Dora the explorer four times in a row. U can't play golf again until u have racked up some serious browny points, u will need to do alot of gardening for urself and some for the mother in law. Welcome to the club brosuf!!!! It's very exclusive. And u can send ur joining fee to deepdivot.com all the billing details are on the website.

#9 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

Ok tomorrow is the Friday comp at The Coast. I love that course and have played the comp about 4 times already.

I have most of my game plan mapped out but here are some objectives I’ve set out for myself tomorrow:

- Double Bogey (at most) the 1st hole. In four comps there I have yet to score a single stableford point on this hole, despite it being one of the few that gives me a shot back. Plan is to go something like 3i, 3i, picth / wedge and 2 putts, walk away with a 2 pointer and move on.

- Lay-up on the 7th: index 1 and a good contender for the prize for the stupidest hole design in all of NSW. Plan here is to try 3i, 9i, pitch / wedge. Tough driving hole though so I’ll see.

Other than that I’d like to score more than 30 points…. as I have not been too good on the scoring front on this course in ccompetition.

Finally, despite what goes on in the round I want to just keep my cool no matter what I score or how many balls I lose.

Back from the comp. I did ok on my objectives: - 3w 3i pitch to walk away with a two point 5 on the first - 7th went 3i then could not resist going at the front pin with another 3i, paid the price but still got a 2 pointer - scored 32 points - kept my cool despite a wipe and 3 lost balls. Breakdown below: 1: tough par 4 uphill into the wind. Plan was to attack in 3 shots with a pitch, did just that after 3w, 3i, pitch, missed the long putt but got a bogey 2: easy downwind downhill par 5, good drive, left with 190, push my 3i into right greenside bunker. Awkward downhill lie, hit it skinny as it skips over the green, pitch and 2 putts for bogey. 3: easyish par 5 with a sidewind, drive finds the fairway pretty far down, I attack with a 3i but push it left. Chip and a putt for birdie. 4: 135m par 3 with wind from right to left. Hit a bit long with an 8i and then proceeded to 3-putt... argh. 5: tough par 4 along the coast, blast drive into a water hasard on the right, drop, ybrid finds the rough to the left of the green, pitch shot out of heavy rough is left about 7m from pin, got lucky and drained the putt for a 1 point 5. 6: long uphill into the wind par 5. Drive 3w, punched 7 iron pin high but about 6m left of pin, two putt for par. 7: worlds stupidest par 4. 3i off the tee finds the layup area, left with 180m to front pin, decide to go for it despite better judgement, starts left and stays left, finished at the foot of a bush in a hasard staked area, can't do much, hack at it with a SW, goes about 10 metres into the green side bunker with a prime downhill, sidehill lie to a downward sloping green. Awesome. I get lucky again with a good sand shot and good putt to get away with a abogey and two points. 8: pretty straight forward par3, 7i goes pin high just off the edge of the green, nearly putt it in, tap in for par 9: uphill 160m par 3, 5i finds left rough, blast the chip by, two putts for boogey 10: drive, duffed pitch, chip and putt for par 11: 3w, 8i past the flag, two putts for par 12:uphill 135m par 3, I decide to hit an 8i and just go easy on it, of course hit it super fkush and iit finishes 12m past hole. Blast the downhiller past and end up with three putt bogey 13: bomb a drive down the middle, 9i finds greenside bunker, chip and miss putt for bogey 14: I hate this beautiful par 4 along the coast as I always get into trouble. My drive hits the fairway then trickles into the ocean, drop, duffed pitch, chip and two putts for a wipe. 15:straight forward par 3, 6i, two putts 16: blind tee shot par 4, 3w, hit the 9i approach fat finds the front bunker just next to lip, hit a good bunker shot out and sink the par putt 17: bombed one through the fariway, am left with 65m from heavy rough. hit it superheavy and into the ditch in front of the green, drop, overcompensate and hit it 10m past the pin, get super lucky and the putt finds the hole. 18: 280m par 4 over water, I decide to go for it, pull it, end up about 30m short left of the green, picth and two putts for par Cliff note version: nothing to write home about, missed a couple of shots, hit a couple of okay ones, and putted well despite two stupid three-putts. ended up 10 over for the day with 7 greens, 31 putts 7/12 scrambling and 2/3 sand saves. Take-aways: hit 3w from the 1st and 14th tees.

#10 epamis

epamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

Hi Max, Before kids I got down to 11 but then blew out to 23 over 4 years and gave up my membership just before my second was born. Spent the last 5 years playing occasional social rounds, going to the driving range and getting the odd lesson. The kids (two boys) are old enough such that my wife is OK with more extended absences and we also have an au pair who makes things easier during the week. I have now started playing comp again and have joined Bayview on the northern beaches. Hopefully I can get my handicap heading back down again! Good luck on your journey - let me know if you ever want to play up this side of Sydney.

#11 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi Epamis, thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm guessing I'll be following a similar type of path. Just making the most of it at the moment, but as I said:this won't last!

#12 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

I'm playing the open Monday comp at Bonnie Dune in two days. I have never played the course so can't really draft out a game plan. All I've been told from second hand account is that it is "hilly". Can anyone tell me anything I need to know? Is the course tight and favours irons off tees over driver, are the greens hilly and fast, hasard galore etc? Any places that one MUST NOT wander to? Any help would be grateful.

#13 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

Just got back from Bonnie Dune. 4.5 hours for a Monday morning stableford comp is pushing it I think.. The course is very enjoyable, and the new holes definitely are worth a look! As I mentionned in another thread I prefer discovering a course from the white tees, but today seemed to be one of those blue tee comps with some pretty tough pin placements to boot. Oh the wind was howling too! not a great way to play a course for the first time but I really enjoyed myself none-the-less. I have the overall impression that I played well despite having a three-hole blow out towards to the end (as I was frantically trying to reschedule later appointments I'd made and that I would not be able to get to). I did not score well: 28 points, but then again in strong wind, from the plates on a course I'd never seen before I was not expecting much! Next round is Wednesday on my home course at Eastlakes for an early 7:20 start. should be good and will be a refreshing change to the challenge that bonnie dune was today.

#14 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

Guess what arrived in the post today? A new set of fitted JPX 800 Pro! Can't wait to hit them, I'll probably try and sneak in a quick twilight to hit a few irons tonight. I'm guessing I won't score too well at comp tomorrow as I might haveto get a feel for them. Stoked!

#15 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

Interesting day today at Eastlakes. Sunny warm, not too windy, nice greens, good conditions all round. It was one of those days where I thought I played ok, but ended up scoring pretty poorly. What killed me was my ice cold putter. I got to the ccourse early and putted for about 30-40 minutes doing drills and jetting down distances for different swings. I was actually really happy with the way I was rolling the ball, then all that left me as soon as I was on the first green which I proceeded to 3-stab for a bogey... nice start! After 18 holes I did not have a single 1-putt on the card. That's depressing. Even had 3 3-putts... so I'm very dissapointed by that. I'm not quite sure what was going on.. I was just hitting them all too firm. Other than that I drove very well hitting half the fairways and staying out of trouble on the other half. Avoided most trouble spots today and even hit a bunch of greens (11). Tally for the day was 31 points stableford. Not a good result and I'll chalk that down to my 39 putts! Next round is Friday at the Coast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users