#1 Tupac

Tupac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

Good Day, I am a 32 handicap golfing unit and trying to determine what my distance is for my irons. I regularly hit at the driving range and I am pretty confident my PW is approx 100m and my 6i is 150m. Is there any "formula" to determine the meterage for the rest of the clubs in the bag as the driving range is marked out in increments of 50m and its defficult to determine if you hitting 120m or 130m with the 8i or 7i. I am led to believe it is 10m distance btw clubs.

#2 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

You cant trust the range balls as they are flight limited. Just how far you hit when playing. Really all you want to focus on at your handicap is hitting every shot solid and not wasting shots. Aim at the centre of the greens. Generally there will be approx 10 metres between clubs but that depends on loft and length of clubs, nothing is concrete.

#3 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4192 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

Tupac, Every shot you hit correctly tells you how far you hit it. Calculate also the shots you hit halfway decent and poorly. In choosing a club allow for halfway decent or your average. Your best shots should go over the green. That is usually two out of eighteen but you will hit ten more on the green that would have been short. You have to be sneaky.

#4 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Agree with Dart on that one Tupac, find your average and play to it, It can be a challenge when you’re expecting to hit your best shot. However, a funny thing happens when you know you have enough stick to hit it over the green, the swing become smooth and controlled. Don’t compare yourself to others, play your own game as the Dart says, be sneaky good.

#5 altheamann

altheamann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Tupac,

Every shot you hit correctly tells you how far you hit it. Calculate also the shots you hit halfway decent and poorly.

In choosing a club allow for halfway decent or your average. Your best shots should go over the green. That is usually two out of eighteen but you will hit ten more on the green that would have been short.

You have to be sneaky.

For tuition in Sydney call Paul Hart (TheDart) 0412 070 820.

Terry Hill’s, St. Michael’s or Duntryleague Golf Club Orange

An official iseekgolf.com teaching panelist.

You are right, I tried calculating my swing so that I can throw the ball on the right direction and distance.

#6 Billami

Billami

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

My advice would be to take a note pad with you whenever you play and note the distances for each club and then work out the most likely distance that you hit a club. Distances between clubs can vary depending on your ability to hit each club. As noted above nothing is certain, you just have to find your distance. Example would be (with my clubs) 85% swing. 5 iron 150m 85% length 1/2 inch under st. 6 iron 142m 85% length standard 7 iron 134m 85% 6 iron length 8 iron 126m 85% standard length 9 iron 118m 85% standard length PW 110m 85% 9 iron length SW 100m 95% 1 inch under standard. (90m at 85%) I know by hitting a club at 95% I can get an extra 10m on each club, but accuracy goes down. And I also know that any hit over 95% will be slice city. But that is just me, you need to find your personal length.

#7 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGolfers Heaven, Mornington Peninsula

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Have a SureShot Micro GPS. A very useful feature is it does shot distance. You can set the co-ordinates of where you hit from and then it will tell you how far you are from that point. Every few months go out on the course and "calibrate" my clubs, using my normal golf balls whilst trying for a consistent swing. Typically play 18 as a practise round, and try to use every club in the bag, keeping a mental record of distance hit. After a while you get a very accurate feel for how long each club carries with your swing and your golf balls at that point in time. Then when playing in a comp, adjust for height differential and wind to select the correct club for a particular shot.

#8 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

HP Thoughts I think the average golfer doesn’t give much attention to the specific club he chooses. He gravitates to clubs he has confidence in unlike the tour pro who talks to his caddie for a couple minutes. The distance differences with a higher marker are mostly due to poor contact. I golfer can lose a considerable amount of distance by only missing the sweet spot by a 1/2 inch. The golfer experience flush shots going over the green and misses falling short. I am thinking the best way is to get your reading only off shots that make solid contact, this is easy if you use some face tape to see where the ball is striking, ignore readings off of missed shots. This would be for someone looking to become a better player. I want them reaching for better ball striking, planning and anticipating great shots vs. the average miss which supports their current game.

#9 StuGolfer

StuGolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

What about hitting some balls at the course and using your smart phone app to determine distance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users