• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adamgolfer

adamgolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:28 PM

I have a question about shortening the shaft on my driver? I am getting ready to regrip and I figured this would be the time to do it. I have a r580 and last year I really didn't have any consistancy with it and I read in another forum about someone shortening their shaft and it helped a bunch with consistancy. Just looking for some thoughts on this subject.

#2 kangated

kangated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:52 PM

Hi Adam
My opinion for what it is worth. I had a shocking slice with my 1 & 3 wood. Nothing I tried, grip, address, swing etc seemed to be able to remedy it.
One day I tried moving closer to the ball and therefore moved my hands down the grip and actually had the tip of my right thumb sitting just on the metal shaft !.
BIMBO !!! ooops read BINGO - straight down the guts ! Could it be ???
Tried it again and again and yes it seems it was common knowledge that by shortening the distance between your hands and the clubhead you gain more control over the club head and it's movemenet (excuse me if thats not exactly what it does but thats my impression of it). So before shortening it - try that excercise.
Grip down the shaft a bit and try. If it improves your drives etc then surely the benefit is there to be had !!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

#3 miro67

miro67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:04 AM

The 580 has a 45.5 inch shaft to make you think you can hit big drives. Get it cut down to 44.5 inches and you will be astounded by the difference it makes. Butt trimming of the shaft is no problem and will not effect shaft stiffness. You will however alter the swingweigth by 4 or 6 points (lead tape may be needed).

#4 Bates

Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:56 PM

By shortening the shaft, you will get more control, but less distance. I personally favor control over distance because it's better to hit the ball 220 and down the middle, than 250 and in the trees.

Just a thought.

#5 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2630 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 10:18 PM

Adamgolfer

, drivers now are being built with longer shafts to give us more distance. To compensate for the longer shaft, bigger heads are being used to be more forgiving on the higher percentage of off-centre hits the longer shafts create.

Thus a long shaft with a large head, should be just as easy to hit as a regular shaft with a traditional size head.

So yes, if you reduce the length of your shaft, you will decrease the % of off-centre hits.

But the point is, that if you are having trouble with consistency of this club now, its not the longer shaft causing your problems, its the

wrong

shaft for you.

I suggest you take yourself to a Pro that is also a clubmaker and ask him to assess your needs properly. You might find that a gram or two of lead tape is all you need, or perhaps a more suitable shaft.

#6 miro67

miro67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:32 PM

MTB,

I think that the characterisation above is a bit simplistic. I feel the issue with longer driver shafts is predominantly a leverage question. A bad swing will produce a ball that goes further left or right than the same bad swing with a shorter shaft. The longer shaft in any club the more sound the golf swing needs to be -this obviously is totally against what the OEM's are doing in selling big forgiving drivers to average golfers but with long shafts.

The promise is a long forgiving driver. The reality is drives that go all over the place.

Shorten the shaft and get on a swing monitor (pre and post). There will be little or no discernable difference in swing/ball speed. My swing speed drops 1-2 mph for each half inch roughly -but I hit the middle of the club more often = longer average drives with a shorter shaft.

#7 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 12:17 AM

Tiger plays with a 43.5" shaft. For consistancy. 5 years ago the average length was 44" and now OEMs are around 45". Bigger heads have made the longer shafts easier to hit but not always in the middle if you do not have a consistant swing.

A shorter driver is much easier to control. Just look at how many poeple can kill thier 3 wood and not hit their driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users